Introducing Point

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic
jonc
  • jonc

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:46 AM

I've been quietly working on a legitimate compiler for GTA -- with if, do, while, for, real variable types, full expressions -- and it is nearing completion of the Vice City feature set. I'm now beginning on the new features Rockstar introduced in San Andreas. So it isn't ready for prime time yet, but I thought I'd give you all a heads up.

You can read more about it and download an alpha here:
http://www.joncaruan...projects/point/

The biggest change is it uses an XML file to define opcodes that can provide much better documentation than GTAMA or Barton's editor included. Since CyQ, in anticipation of this project, hasn't written a SA Assembler and Barton is retired, I hope this can become the primary tool for modding SCM files in the future.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:10 PM

This loks ace, I will have to try it out. If it uses XML for the OpCodes, does that mean you can use either of the existing formats?

jonc
  • jonc

Snitch

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:12 PM

No, it means you can use neither. But I have an importer for what little information VC-DB has. Hopefully opcodes can be added to it directly for SA if I can finish it soon enough that people start using it when discovering opcode names and such.

random_download
  • random_download

:o

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:57 PM

Looks nice, but I can't get it to work right, I run 'Point.exe test.sand /out:test.scm' from a batch file, and it seems to work but it never actually creates the .scm file :S

jonc
  • jonc

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:04 AM

Is default.ide in the current directory? If not, make sure to give it the path with /ide. Otherwise, what is the exact output it gives and what is the contents of the file you are trying to compile?

Also it isn't documented anywhere I guess but you'll need /target:vice, but that isn't the issue you are having as that would make the float values weird when loaded into the game.

random_download
  • random_download

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:24 PM

Yes, I have got default.ide in the dir, the code is just copied and pasted off your site. The program closes before I can read what it says, but I managed to grab a screenshot just before it closes. There is a line at the end that says "During function call 'create_player' is undefined", so I guess that is the reason why. As I said the code is just copied from your site
CODE
Player player;

// these will automatically initialize before our start thread begins
int f1=0,f2=1;

start thread fibwait {
// Some standard initialization
player=create_player(0,811.875,-939.9375,35.75);

Yet at the top the var player is indeed defined. I tried doing "Player player=create_player(0,811.875,-939.9375,35.75);" but got the same error.

jonc
  • jonc

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:17 PM

Heh, yeah, I forgot to change the example code. create_player should be CreatePlayer and likewise for the other function calls with underscores in them. I'll update the code on the site when I get home from work.

And there is an undocumented parameter /wait that will make it keep the window open, or you can launch it from the command line.

random_download
  • random_download

• Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:30 AM

How do models work? doing:
ProtoType Model = PGA;
or
ProtoType Model = #PGA;
or
ProtoType Model = 95;
doesn't seem to work.

jonc
  • jonc

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

Sorry I forgot to include prototypes in an example.

You don't need to declare prototypes, when you need to use it simply pass one of these:

CODE
CreateSomething(prototypeof(XYZ),...);
CreateSomething(prototypeof(92),...);

You should also be able to do this, but I've actually never tried it:

CODE
Prototype x = prototypeof(XYZ);

CreateSomething(x,...);

One of my goals was to eliminate all the weird symbols MB and even GTAMA used, so in this one spot it is slightly more verbose.

random_download
  • random_download

• Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:50 PM

Thanks, my test script works now smile.gif only bad thing it seems is that functions are case sensitive eg. Wait(0); works but wait(0); doesn't. Other than that this compiler is amazing tounge.gif

ghost_master2000
  • ghost_master2000

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:47 AM

hmmm... this looks good, adn I'm very interested in using this, but being lazy like I am I think I'm gonna wait till there is an IDE for it.

I liked how in GTAMA you could start a function adn a window would pop up with a list of functions that woudl complete it. IF this had an interface similar to that of visual C++, with the dropdown lists of functions and variables for completion I would be all over it. I know, I know, I'm lazy and all, i don't feel like relearning all the function names and such, but once it has that, I'll be spitting out mission scripts like the chick in excorcist spits out puke.

tomworld10
  • tomworld10

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:15 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the update !!!!

Have fun

kornman00
  • kornman00

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:00 AM

Thats pretty cool, good job smile.gif

funtikar
  • funtikar

Hater Play

• Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:48 AM

What happened to this? Did anyone made any working mission with it?

ED-E
  • ED-E

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (funtikar @ Thursday, Mar 8 2012, 02:48)
What happened to this? Did anyone made any working mission with it?

You sir are a moron.

The topic is 6 years old, The creator hasn't been on in 6 years either and i doubt anyone even knows about its existence these days, want to make missions?

Use Sanny Builder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users