Photo

Must register to view topics

17 replies to this topic
Neo-K 182
  • Neo-K 182

La Famiglia Di Corleone

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

i'm sure everyone has realized how much the 800-1000 guests everyday are screwing up the forums, us members cant even search anymore because of how bad it's gotten.

so personally i think that we need to make it mandatory to register to view certian forums. maybe not like the community section. but at least the GTA:Series. i dont know, maybe i'm going a bit to far, but i'm sure everyone is annoyed at the downtime and our lack of being able to search now just because of how much the guests are draining the server. personally i think something needs to be done.

anyone else agree? disagree? comments?

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:21 PM

I'm very strongly against compulsary registration. Forcing people to register just makes the number of registrations go up, and as a result MySQL gets whored by a lot of registrations rather than being whored by people browing. It may help a small amount, but I know for a fact I'd have been turned off if I had to register just to view. GTAForums is a massive place, very expensive to run admittedly, but to be quite honest: If you don't like all the timeouts, then tough. I'm of the opinon that having a bunch of people able to view the forums 75% of the time is better than trying to chop the users in half. Another thing though is that GTAForums isn't the main cause of the server being hammered recently, GTASanAn has been getting twice as many users, and the Hot Coffee mod on GTAGarage is proving incredibly popular and is being linked to from all sorts of other sites. I don't think it'd honestly help that much.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:26 PM

Personally I don't like it. Lots of people come here to get some info and then leave, the idea of them taking up a username just to visit once pisses me off. That and why would they join if they can't see the threads? Only people who visit as guests and already know how good the place is will join. Being able to see the amount of good information on here is one of the main reasons I joined. Maybe making the lounge, or gang forums hidden to them might be a good idea, but that brings some people in as well. Meh, I'm sure that a lot of people will like this idea though, I'm just not one of them.

Yuck Fou
  • Yuck Fou

<3 Mar

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

I, too, am very strongly against mandatory registration. The boom will die down soon enough, and what's wrong with GTAF getting publicity? It's a very good thing for the whole network.

Either way, I won't go into details because I'd just be repeating what the two ninja's above me said.

Neo-K 182
  • Neo-K 182

La Famiglia Di Corleone

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:41 AM

yeah alright, guess i'm goin a bit to far. just the downtime and the no searching thing is really getting to me. but i'm sure yuck is right and it will die down.

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:18 PM

how about making people who aren't registered forced to have a VERY basic skin, one with no images, kinda' like cerbs but more attractive. that would help the server issue and whatnot i guess. although i'm no expert.

TheHeggy
  • TheHeggy

Conan Rules

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:52 PM

I think that giving guests a "CSS Only" forum style would help reduce at least a little of the server load... I help run a couple other forums and we've had to do this to one of them. Helped a bit, but not a lot.

I'm more familiar with vBulletin rather than IPB (Especially this IPB version 1.3!), so I'm not sure what all is possible from the administrators point of view... vBulleting has a feature (or a hack, I forget) that disables the search function when the server load exceeds X number of concurrent users.

Another possible part of the problem is that this place is using such old forum software... If you upgraded to IPB 2.whatever or even vBulletin 3.0.7 (3.5 is coming out soon too, a beautiful piece of internet software wink.gif ) I'm sure that forum performance would increase dramatically.

Just my two cents.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:40 AM

The problem is with the database and the allowed number of users. Forcing guests to use a basic skin will not solve the problem.

Ideally, the best solution would be to look into optimizing how the database is searched, rather than frontend tweaks. I'm sure that's already been done though.

TheHeggy
  • TheHeggy

Conan Rules

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:44 AM

There's gotta be a way to limit concurrent searches...

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:02 AM

Searching is already disabled, so it isn't the cause.

You DO know that to display even a single page of a topic three or more queries are needed? Right?

That's the problem, just viewing the forums causes a strain on the database. You can't fix that through the front end.

Zak.
  • Zak.

slippi

• The Connection

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:43 AM

I always thought we should try closing the registration for a week to see what happens. Then we list all the pros and cons, and let the forumers decide. It would almost be like stopping Immigration to America.

Oooh man, wouldn't that be sweet.

TheHeggy
  • TheHeggy

Conan Rules

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE (Opius @ Jun 16 2005, 23:02)
Searching is already disabled, so it isn't the cause.

You DO know that to display even a single page of a topic three or more queries are needed? Right?

That's the problem, just viewing the forums causes a strain on the database. You can't fix that through the front end.

It's partly the queries, but it's also how efficiently those queries are run and how well the code is written. I'm sure the code/queries in IPB 1.3 aren't as optimized as most other new forum software... Especially with any modifications that have been made.

I understand that to change forum software it takes a LOT of time, planning and some money... Believe me, I've ported over dozens of ancient forums for some customers and it's no walk in the park... But eventually it's going to have to be done. LOL I remember helping a client re-design his website and he was running some ancient version of PHPbb, and he wanted to bring it all over to vBulletin 3.5; had over 2 million posts on that sucker. It took forever, but once it was done all he could talk about was how much better things were loading.

Perhaps a premature suggestion, but again: It's going to have to be done sooner or later. I think it'd be better to take some sort of action like this sooner than to just wait for so many people to stop coming to the site, or to limit them in whatever ways that have been suggested.

chopper123
  • chopper123

BUSTED!

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:05 PM

they shouldent need to register because gtaforums is succesful the way it is now smile.gif

Zak.
  • Zak.

slippi

• The Connection

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE (chopper123 @ Jun 17 2005, 12:05)
they shouldent need to register because gtaforums is succesful the way it is now smile.gif

That made no sense whatsoever and doesn't add to this discussion.

gtfo. tounge.gif

j/k

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:06 PM

If I wan't able to read this sites topics without registration, I would of skipped over it. You know at the bottom when it says guests, I was one to this forum for a year until I decided to finally join. Also I got mad at someones bullsh*t post so I wanted to make them feel bad about themselves. I was so impressed with this site I registered. SO I don't think its a good idea.

Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:04 PM

While limiting searching does help, it's not like guests could ever search before. Guests can't view things like profiles either and never have been able to. Making them register probably would help speed the place up a bit. Although it hasn't been too bad lately.

eggburt
  • eggburt

Lil' G Fizzle

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:09 PM

surely if the problem is the db being too big, causing it to get bigger by forcing users to register wont help?

dontgetit.gif

Krelian
  • Krelian

Sacrilicious

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:28 PM

Forums with forced registration usually suck. In my experience, good forums draw people through useful content, not by trying to force registration and then hoping people are curious enough to create an account before they ditch the place.

Besides, as it's been stated before in this thread, forcing registration wouldn't help the problems anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users