Photo

Natural Talent

37 replies to this topic
SteakPhish
  • SteakPhish

Colonel Skawizow

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:47 PM

I don't mean what genre of game, and I'm not talking about games you've had lots of experience on. I'm talking about games that, straight out of the box, you felt a step or two above the rest of the competition and were just naturally good at for no explicit reason.

The Mortal Kombat Trilogy

I'm not very good at fighting games except for Super Smash Brothers (both of them) and this game. I was at my friend's house and we plugged it in and I was expecting an ass romping. He naturally went Noob-Saibot (read: n00b-saibot) on me and I just picked Scorpion because the little harpoon thing is easy to do.

I got my sh*t rocked for a few rounds but I started getting better each time, and I swear in 15 minutes I was kicking his ass left and right. It wasn't even with just scorpion. No matter who I picked, I was able to crush him. All I did was charge him and wail, and if he tried to escape I'd round house or sweep kick him and continue the thrashing. It was glorious. However, the single player game quickly taught me I wasn't as godly as previously thought.

Halo 2

Every weekend (and a lot during the summer), friends and cousins of mine cram into a very nice basement, draw some curtains, and bust out 12-16 player Halo matches, curteousy of 4 'boxes and a lot of controllers and TV's. It's a riot and it carries on well into the night. I fancy myself pretty competent in first person shooter games, and I hold my own in any game I play on the computer. I guess I'm just no match for the Xbox controller because I kept getting romped in Halo 1, no matter how much I played. Granted everyone else played 10x more than I did, but I just could not get better.

When Halo 2 came, I heaved a sigh and dropped in with my friends....and watched as my kill count sored through the roof. For reasons I cannot explain; maybe the sensitivity was tweaked, maybe the engine changes were a bit different, who knows, I was popping fools everywhere. No matter what game type, what map, what weapons, I was always coming in 1st or 2nd place, and everyone was in shock. To this day I am still pretty damn good at Halo 2, and yet whenever we journey back to Halo 1 I rest with the maggots as always. I'll never figure it out.

Half Life 2 Deathmatch

This one caught me completely off guard. It's as if the online shooter community was bending to my will. The mouse and keyboard is my friend, and as mentioned before I'm pretty well rounded when it comes to online shooters. Half Life 2 Deathmatch though, was a cakewalk for me. My first round playing in the jail level (whatever it's called the name escapes me) in a game being played to a 100, I ended with a score of 101-33, which means that yes I ended the round with a double kill. Next map, same thing but with a bit more of a palatable score (100-70 something if I remember right). It was insanity. I haven't played much since, but I'm still pretty good at it if anyone wants to hit me up.

So what about yall?

imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:15 PM

Well, im pretty good at CS, but stopped playing it of two reasons.

1) Getting banned from servers for 'cheating'

2) Jedi academy is more fun

Im also good at Jedi Academy, but the game ive kicked most ass in was GTA1 when i was a kid. I was pretty good at that.

Kutthroat
  • Kutthroat

Abgoosht For Life

• The Precinct

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

Mario Kart(s).

Don't step, foo'.

Phalanxe
  • Phalanxe

Lolplane

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:19 PM

I'm naturally good at the Tony Hawk series. I'm one of those people that ends up doing multi-million point combos without really trying that hard. I'm also good at most all fps games.

To be honest, most gamers are naturally good at most games. Once you learn the controller and know the controls for the game, its all pretty easy.

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:27 PM

Goldeneye - First played when I was at a friends house, and kicked his and his brothers ass, even with them teaming against me. There was no one I couldn't beat.

Perfect Dark as well, but I wasn't as good since some of the sensitivities/controls/weapons were a little different.

Tecmo Super Bowl, I can beat you with any team.

Madden 96 for SNES

Most FPS games I do well in, although I do suck at CS.

_NightHawk_
  • _NightHawk_

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:54 PM

Battlefield 1942
ShellShock: 'Nam '67
Killzone
Halo, I was put against two people, and I totally blew them away... I hit one guy in the head with a hand gun all the way across a valley... I only lost when it was three on one and one would make me chase him and I'd get flanked...

Brown Streak RR
  • Brown Streak RR

GTAF Train Freakô

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:53 AM

Goldeneye. I played that almost non-stop. My friends played more, but I still kicked their ass. I was invincible. That was the game that got me seriously, convincingly hooked on video games forever. cool.gif

I'm pretty good on SOCOM too. I have my on and off days, but when I'm 'on', there isn't anyone who doesn't want to be on my team. I'm just that good. At least, so I think.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:57 AM

Mario Kart - Always win doesn't matter against who, the track, the platform, or the character I choose...

Goldeney - To quote Boris: Yes, I am invincible...
Fun times with goldeneye, always ended up first, or a close second...

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:00 AM

battlefield 1942
or Call of Duty.

Call of Duty more so in the DOM game. Mainly because I go for the captures insted of killing.

Big Slow
  • Big Slow

<3 629

• The Connection

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE (Knightmare @ Jun 15 2005, 17:27)
Tecmo Super Bowl, I can beat you with any team.

I would whip your ass with the AFC championship team. Straight up.

I'm naturally good at racing games (particularly NFS:UG 1&2) and some sports games. I get my ass kicked in Madden though.

Organic Zero
  • Organic Zero

|Block Rocking Beats|

• Feroci

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:20 AM

Gran turismo 2: Even though i am a trully car freak, i managed to break 2 ps1 consoles due playing too much GT2 on they (the tech said that the leaser cannon was f*cked due overplaying - too much straight hours ruining the same game). Anway, for what mathers, i realised that i was really damn good when i managed to bash some of my friends one night driving either a Ford Ka or a Mazda Eunos Roadster depending on the challenger... cars that even tuned, were suposed to be no match for cars like audis, skylines etc. And even on the battles with cars way too strong for they, i managed to get times closer to they....

Tekken Tag: even though i was not a real fan of it, my friends would normaly gather to play it around on weekends, so i had to go with the flow... for the first times i never got around the button mashing strategy, and always ended up with my ass kicked, but after some time i managed to pic up 2 characters and train a bt with they... with some time i was be ble to put a fight against most of my friends, and they later beat up they easily

Crazy Taxi Arcade: even though this is again a race based game, i simply could not understand who i became so god at it, it was like i had the map and locations printed on my mind on the second time i played it.. and i was really easy to get millions and millions of cash playing it...

Slick Willy
  • Slick Willy

Grandpa

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:27 AM

Counter-Strike
Tiger Woods (any)
Street Fighter 2
Resident Evil 2

about all i can think of

DidierSucks
  • DidierSucks

Prophet of Trashcat

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:50 AM

The only game I really naturally pwned at was Buck Bumble or Red Dead Revolver. I'm pratically f*cking invincible on RDR, nearly regardless of the character I play, although playing as Governor Griffin, General Diego, or Jebidiah (one of those brothers at Governor Griffin's mansion, he's the one you duel in Griffin's office). Buck Bumble I was just completly totally impossible to catch smile.gif

Games that I worked at and learned to be excellent at include Goldeneye, Time Splitters 2, Soul Calibur II, and Super Smash Brothers Melee.

For Time Splitters I simply perfected my aim. It took almost two months of casual playing, but I could finally hit a head-target across a reasonable distance when both or one were moving on ten of ten shots. I haven't played in a while though, it's probably wasted now.

Goldeneye I developed just by spending so much time working on the story mode, and I ended up being one of those really annoying people who learned levels like the Caves or the Complex off by hand and would just hit and run until they die.

Soul Calibur II took me a long time which I had to dedicate before I finally managed to overcome all of Nightmare's weakness and proceed to pwn. Once I was able to overcome how easy it is to block him by learning faster moves, guard breaks, and the effective use of the bait and retreat, most victories simply came by adjusting my style to whichever character my opponent used. I tried a similar technique with Astaroth, and I ended up being pretty good with him, but never to the same skill I have with Nightmare; probably because I like Nightmare better.

Super Smash Brothers, wow. Everyone hates me. Nobody will play against me because I can go through an entire match where I poke them up to triple digit damage without a scratch because I'm such a dodgey ass. I use Mewtwo, so it's very easy to constantly avoid the other guy and cut him to ribbons over up to ten minutes. The only two characters I have difficulty facing are Fox and Falco, mainly because I haven't worked out the timing for reflecting their attacks. Or flipping them over, for that matter. But it's hilarious, because after a few minutes I'm still dodging out the way, they have 65% damage, and I still have no damage, and the other guy is becomming very frustrated and starts to make mistakes, making my job easier. Unfortunetly, angry people are usually unpredictable, so it's just a smidge more dangerous to stay close and sidestep all of their attacks. Unfortunetly, my tactics don't carry over into team games, so I use Ganondorf and leap into the fray, kicking ass here and knocking teeth out there, all the while keeping purple masculine.

ViceDog
  • ViceDog

Boss

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:57 AM

Any game on wheels.

AlianAnt
  • AlianAnt

For those about to rock!

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:17 AM

Iv only been beaten in person at Halo twice out of the hundureds of games played.

I lost because the first was a wierd fluke in which my friend finnally learned how to use gernades (or...use them well..) but he never beat me again.

Second time was in a tornament where teams were randomly matched and we needed an extra player so my sister (whos never played before) got randomly matched with me. I still almost won......

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Something witty, something sh*tty

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Pitcairn-Islands

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:01 AM

Halo:

I was playing a game of Halo. The set up was 5 - 2 and I owned that sh*t. We had Capture as the game type and my friend and I had the highest kills and time. It was 15 minute limit on time. We won. His kills were like 600 and 400 deaths and I was 1000 kills and not even half the amount in deaths. We then re arranged it and had a 4 on 1 game. Me being the one person. This time it was Team's Killing. I won.

Racing games too. Umm, Halo 2, I'm good at that too. But I prefer Halo, unfortunately whenever I'm at a LAN, f*cking little teens only wanna play Halo 2. I think it is cause we all know each other and I rule with the pistol.

Dalpura
  • Dalpura

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:04 AM

I'm naturally decent at Unreal Tournament. tounge.gif Takes me a while to get back into it after not playing for a while, but after a week or two I'm f*cking nuts. UT2004 is much easier in my opinion, I could easily get ~100 frags online after not playing for a while. And HL2DM. Christ. f*cking great fun and I'm good at that too. That's about it, I suck at most other newer games. Though I did beat the sh*t out of Trows, Opius and Hynes at Halo 2.

Sillyhed2000
  • Sillyhed2000

Every time you try to small-talk me on MSN I will kill a puppy.

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:10 AM

I was always pretty damn good at Goldeneye. The days of taking out golden gun weilders with nothing but my karate chopping skillz were golden.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:12 AM

Natural talent?

I must say I can kick some serious ass at Ratchet & Clank. And I was a pretty good shot with Goldeneye, back in the day.

pizza guy
  • pizza guy

Power!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members
  • England

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:36 PM

Natural Talent? Got to be BattleField 1942, I was the shiznit in a Spitfire, or any fighter plane for that matter, I would be the guy who'd come full whack at 45 degrees into the hangar to get my plane repaired, and watch all the people on the ground running for their lives.

Socom 1 on Ps2, I was a crackshot with a pistol, and sniper rifle. But pistols were more my speciality, I could do headshots at long distance without even thinking.

Neo-K 182
  • Neo-K 182

La Famiglia Di Corleone

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:44 PM

for me it's any racing or flying game.
the whole need for speed series, jet fighter series, i'm just good at 'em.

as for mario kart, every cup in the 64 and GBA version: GOLD BITCHES. devil.gif

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Kutthroat @ Jun 15 2005, 14:57)
Mario Kart(s).

Don't step, foo'.

Yeah same here, beat Mario Kart Double Dash in like 5 hours... It was so easy, though was dissapointed that the jump feature wasn't in there...

Madden
Resident Evil - Old ones, like PS1
Mario Party/ies
GTA/s

Thats about it

Hobbes27
  • Hobbes27

Jew

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:33 PM

I always won at Goldeneye. In my gaming career, even to this day where I sometimes dust of the ole' 64 and play goldeneye against guys in my dorm, I lost only twice in my life. TWICE. I usually own at football games too, such as NCAA Football and Madden, but I credit that to me playing College football myself. I know the formations, when to use them in the best situations, etc. I am the ultimate at defense, as I am a defensive back, and I know when to call the right plays in the right situation. The highest I have ever been scored on was 10, and that includes Online Play on Live and PS2 online, and against friends.

Cheers, Hobbes

woodprior383
  • woodprior383

01001000 01000001 01000011 01001011 01000101 01000100

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:34 PM

the games i have been good at right away have been mostly sports games. All the Maddens, The NCAA Football series, all the baseball games except ESPN, all the basketball games except EPN. And i have also been good with God of War.

mr.easy
  • mr.easy

Thug

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:07 PM

I've Always been good at Fighting games, sports games, and violent games.

holdenrulz
  • holdenrulz

Trick

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:09 AM

When I'm good it's usually not a genre but specific games I was a natural for NFS 3 - 6 Timesplitters 2-3 and GTA 3- San An.
But I'm not good at Gran Turismo at all even though I try really hard. It's the game I get a Affinity for not a genre.

Pez
  • Pez

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:38 AM

Games i'm naturally good at.

UT04 - It's crazy, i'm like a bot.
Ratchet & Clank - Beat the whole series in about 3 weeks.
Killzone - Beat that in 11 days.
THPS Series - Man, I love those games.
Diablo 2 - Awesome game, it's a must for most.
Midnight Club Series - Gayass games, except Dub Edition.
State of Emergency - Best played with cheats.
Hitman 2 - Recently got that game, easy as hell.
Halo - I can snipe you off from a good distance.

Other than those games, I don't really play that often.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:45 AM

I rock ass at Gran Turismo, and I have been since I was 8.
I am also quite good at Grand Theft Auto.
Halo, too.

Dr.pay'n spray
  • Dr.pay'n spray

Aw yeah.

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

I'll kick your ass at flight simulator 2004 ANY DAY.

bored.gif what?

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:26 AM

I'm like Neo-k - Any driving game, I just pwn at. I don't drive in real life, I hate cars, but I'm a natural on the driving games. It's weird.

GTA games, of course, I have natural skill for. I love the exploration and freedom and can entertain myself for hours just stunting and generally exploiting the landscape. I just wish there was more pay-off for the way I play.

Management games - Like SimCity and all those. I don't really play them much, but I seem to be pretty good at them with no effort - I know how to divide my attentions. notify.gif

I also have a natural talent for the Tony Hawks type games. I'd kick any of your asses on any of those games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users