Photo

[REL] CFG Studio

151 replies to this topic
Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:26 PM

Well, I must say Cerbera, that I'm very impressed. I like the spreadsheet layout style, in which I can compare the handling data of one car, to another. The bookmark's feature will come in very handy, when I start to get multiple installs.

An idea for the backup feature. My idea was to save the handling data within the settings file, but that would really bloat it, and isn't very practical for mulitple installs. Instead, have a folder in the CFGStuido directory, called backups, and set that as the default folder, and a backup manager, so you can easily restore different backups.

Another quick idea, is it possible to add a multi highlight feature?

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2005 - 05:19 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 October 2005 - 11:29 AM.

Despite saying I would concentrate on optimising the file handling, I have ended up making a load of new features. tounge.gif

Tools > Manage Bookmarks now allows multiple selection:
user posted image
630x460 - 60kB.

Perhaps the most significat addition has been to create dropdown lists for the special types of data which use a limited range of numbers or letters to represent specific categories. When editing flag data you get a dropdown checklist to enable or disable flag settings. When you edit the text the list updates and when you edit the list the text updates. Changes are only saved when you press "Return" or "Enter" just like when editing normal data.

The special data columns which now have lists:-
  • DriveType
  • EngineType
  • GTA3 and GTAVC Flags
  • GTASA ModelFlags
  • GTASA HandlingFlags
  • FrontLights
  • RearLights
Editing a GTA3 Drivetype:
user posted image
630x460 - 90kB.

GTA3 Flags:
user posted image
630x460 - 85kB.

GTAVC Flags:
user posted image
630x460 - 85kB.

GTASA HandlingFlags:
user posted image
630x460 - 90kB.

GTAVC RearLights:
user posted image
630x460 80kB.

As you can see from the screenshots, I have coded a pair of neat functions which will display the lists below the cell and aligned with the left as default. If there is not enough space below the cell, they are drawn above the cell. If there is not enough space above OR below the cell, they are drawn on the side which has the most space. Similarly, if there is not enough space for the list to be aligned to the left of the cell, it is aligned to the right. If there is not enough space on the left or the right, the list is drawn on the side which has the most space.

I am rather proud of this since most tools makers don't refine their interfaces to this degree. It is worth the fiddling code work because it transforms a utility into a proper editor, imho

There is now a new release (cfgstudio 0.00.0108) which contains all these additions. If you see a version of it with a bigger number on the end, that is a later version which will be more developed.

(EDIT) Just found a glitch in the flag handling where the calculation for GTASA data greater than about HEX40000000 would exceed the legal range VB6 allows. This has now been fixed, so the flag editing stuff should be working correctly now. I tested in all editions with lots of different values and it seemed alright.

homer_simpson
  • homer_simpson

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:09 AM

Hey cerb great work
i got a few questions
1)Can i use this while the game is running? or will the changes not take effect until i reload it.
2) What about the vehicle wheel size and wheel type? can this edit them. they are in the vehicle.ide i believe but its alot harder to figure out than the vice city default.ide

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:05 AM Edited by Cerbera, 29 October 2005 - 11:29 AM.

QUOTE (homer_simpson @ Jul 21 2005, 03:09)
Hey cerb great work
i got a few questions
1)Can i use this while the game is running? or will the changes not take effect until i reload it.
2) What about the vehicle wheel size and wheel type? can this edit them. they are in the vehicle.ide i believe but its alot harder to figure out than the vice city default.ide
1) Changes will not take effect until you exit the game and start it again. You can make edits and save them while the game is running without problems.
2) At the moment I would not recommend saving any files other than handling.cfg. The program enters "Edition: Unknown" mode when you open any file which does not seem to use the handling file format for GTA3, GTAVC or GTASA.

I made some refinements to the way unknown file formats are handled so that it warns you if you try to save them, since it doesn't know exactly what format they should be saved in. The new version is available, as ever, from my site.

(EDIT) I also tweaked the loading of normal files and generally did some more tidying up with the code in preparation for the next development cycle.

lethal.rocks
  • lethal.rocks

Digital Extremist

• Members

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:31 AM

Great program, and as you were saying about refining interfaces, it would be nice if the scrollbar auto-sized and smooth-scrolled.

I don't like the default bookmarks, not everyone has their games in the default places (Some might use a Games folder, some a seperate drive...) so perhaps it should dig in the registry for the installed path of a game.
The key for San Andreas is:
CODE
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\Installation
ExePath (REG_SZ)

It does, however, include the path of the exe (Who'd guess that?) and the paths for Vice City and GTAIII are probably both in the same area and, I'd guess, the same format.

This led me to think about multiple installs as people tend to use them for total conversions, such as Liberty City and Myriad Islands for Vice City. Perhaps it could scan the folder above the ExePath (Default C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games) for the appropriate exe files or ask the user if they would like to scan their hard drive(s) (Some people might have separate installs in the root of the drive or something, who knows?) for installations, and popup a box when it finds on asking if it is a backup and if it should be bookmarked or not.

An iconic toolbar would also be greatly welcome, especially if it were customisable.

I happen to know a very good VB6 coder myself, who I could hook you up with if you asked me on msn.

I think that's it...

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:10 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 October 2005 - 11:30 AM.

Unfortunately the scrollbars are part of the control and I can't think of a way to hack into them to change how they work. A sophisticated coder could probably rebuild the control as a new control with swanky scrollbars but that's way too complicated for me. Maybe Richie or T-RonX, both of whom you referred me to, could give me some ideas. Making it respond to the scrollwheel would be good, too.

Since it's rather unconventional to have a bookmarking system in a normal program and since it uses the term "Bookmarks" rather than the more prevelant IE series term "Favourites" I figured putting a couple of defaults in there would help introduce the feature. Since newcomers tend to install the game in the default location, getting direct access to those files will help them get started with the editor. If any of the bookmarks refer to files which do not exist, the user is introduced to how the bookmarks system handles that occurrance. They will probably stay because of these introductory reasons.

However, the Bookmarks system could benefit from being a lot more sophisticated. Allowing folders so they could have a submenu for each install or however they wanted to organise their bookmarks would be useful. Being able to specify a caption instead of always using the complete, unabridged file path would make the menus smaller and more usable. The drawback is that it requires massively more complicated code to store this data in a way which can be reloaded next time the program opens. I'm not entirely sure if it is possible to create complete new submenus at runtime because they have to be in the layer(s) below the main menu. Would also mean using a TreeView instead of a ListBox in the management form. Something else to look into, though. smile.gif

Just realise that an "Open File" button in the Manage Bookmarks form would be a great idea. Double-clicking an item could run the button's code too, which would give the user an alternative way of using bookmarks.

I checked the registry and only GTASA's installation path is stored there; the other keys are empty. I'm not sure if scanning the registry key just for one install of one edition is wortwhile when there could be multiple installs of multiple editions. Some sort of Find GTA Installs... command in the Manage Bookmarks... window might be worth looking into. It would just use the FileSystemObject to recursively spider through the directory tree searching for the EXE names used by GTA3, GTAVC and GTASA.

Thing is, if I do that then it implies that all the files within that install supported by CFG Studio should become accessible via a menu or something. I guess I could save the install paths and integrate those into parts of the interface but this is suddenly become desperatly complicated for something which isn't really required. People can find their own installs. Often data files won't even be in proper installs of GTA.

Toolbar isn't something I considered adding because I didn't think there were enough things worth putting on it. tounge.gif Open, Save, Save As, Cut, Copy, Paste, Find and that's about it. Maybe that's enough. It's quite a lot of coding for a well manged toolbar with normal and large buttons and I've never been able to figure out a way to saved the toolbar preferences in a way which can be reloaded next time. Also, I'm not sure how to create buttons and set them up with the ImageList and everything at runtime. Worth looking into, but not anytime soon because it's complicated to code toolbars properly.

Great suggestions. smile.gif

Icey hasn't gotten back to me with a review of CFG Studio so I have released cfgstudio 0.00.0117 onto the site. Includes refinements to Edit > Cut/Copy/Paste. The former means you can now cut, copy and paste via CTRL+X/C/V with a cell which is being edited. I've also coded full-selection editing so that if you highlight a group of cells, any editing you do to the first cell is applied to all the selected cells. This allows you to give all cars the same maximum steering angle, or remove the SuspensionAntiDive on them all, or set any group of values anywhere in any grid to the same value of your choosing. Refined a few other things, too but this is already a bit of an essay. blush.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:26 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 October 2005 - 11:32 AM.

Right, that's enough of the essay-writing, time for a new screenshot. smile.gif

The new Edit > Find form:
user posted image
640x480 - 60kB.

This displays exact matches at the top of the list and then anything in the first column which contains the letters in the sequence they appear in the Find this box. I am thinking of making this more sophisticated so that after the exact matche and partial matche searches, a "fuzzy" match search would display any items which contained all of the letters but in any order. That might be a bit overboard, though?

You can also see the beginnings of the View > Help Bar feature. Eventually this will display some useful information about the active cell, such as a brief description of what it does, the normal range of values it has and any special quirks. When editing data which has lists of values, the description will probably include a brief note about what effect the current option would have. This is so that when editing flag data, only the highlighted flag item will be described.

I have been fiddling with the display properties of the grid and made it look a little bit more like the Microsoft Excel XP chart by flattening the header cells and using a border colour which is inherited from the operating system theme. The cursor now displays as the proper spreadsheet cursor (a thick, outlined cross) and I have found a way to hide the default scrollbars so I could code my own. They would auto-size but would not respond to the mouse but I will probably include them be in the next serious update. There are a lot of other features which are still in the pipeline. smile.gif

(EDIT) Whew, 3am and I've finished coding four row editing features for the Edit menu. Need to work on when they are enabled and disabled but the actual processes work. They even have keyboard shortcuts. New version is released (cfgstudio 0.00.0127) now time for some sleep!

gtavicer9
  • gtavicer9

The Lurker

• Members

Posted 29 July 2005 - 12:48 AM

I've got an idea:

That idea on clicking the header to sort the column is actually pretty good. Using the 'View' option doesnt actually place the column in order.

In the TopSpeed column for example, when sorted, it goes from 100-400 then 60-99.

It's weird, but it seems to be only checking the first digit, not the entire number. dozingoff.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2005 - 08:11 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 October 2005 - 11:34 AM.

The sorting uses the grid's inbuilt sorting method...which appears to suck royally. tounge.gif I guess I will have to create my own sorting routine. It will be slower but it should sort the data correctly. For the time being, the current sorting will stay and it isn't a priority to make my own sorting method because it's complicated. Especially for mixed-format columns such as DriveType. I do intend to fix the bug where the Arrange Standard Rows submenu shows an empty list of available headers when in Editing: Unknown mode, though.

I am tidying up the development folder so that new releases will be easier to find. I am doing this by moving all the CFG Studio development screenshots to a subfolder in the development folder The newest release is now is available from the its own Web page. It includes a very early (and buggy) implementation of my custom scrollbars.

When no file is open, scrollbars are visible but disabled:
user posted image
640 x 480 - 20.0kB. JP3G PWN5 YEU!!1!

When viewing a file:
user posted image
640 x 480 - 81.0kB.

As you can see, the scrollbar sliders match the size of the page and that means you get a better idea of how many rows or columns there are to scroll through. Moving around the grid does not make the scrollbars scroll, except by coincidence. Sometimes the scrollbars will not scroll far enough to let you see the final row or column of data. The horizontal scrollbar does not always scroll one page of columns when you click in the "trough" of the bar. They are very early versions, just to see if people think they are worth refining to replace the original scrollbars.

(EDIT) Fixed the Arrange Standard Data submenu when in Edition: Unknown mode. smile.gif

(EDIT2) Tidied up the Tools > Settings form. Finished off the code for Tools > Import Settings and Tools > Export Settings menu items. Refined the grid scrollbars, especially the horizontal scrollbar but they still need a lot more work. Various other bits of tidying up and refinement. The download has been updated to cfgstudio 0.00.0135 and includes these changes.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:51 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 October 2005 - 11:35 AM.

I have now uploaded cfgstudio 0.00.0138 which is ready for download. I have made a lot of changes to how the scrollbars operate which should make them behave a lot better and synchronise with the grid position better. They still aren't perfect, so if you have problems with them please post saying exactly what goes wrong and I'll find some way to fix it. smile.gif

I have revised some header names so that columns are not so massively wide. I have tidied up some of the code and refined the Tools > Settings... window. Settings can now be imported and exported to .ini files, so you can create different profiles depending on screen size and so on. There are some other little tweaks here and there as well.

I have been using CFG Studio to work on my GTASA Handling Overhaul and I really wish I had made it when I was working on the GTA3 and GTAVC ones!

(EDIT) Now updated to cfgstudio 0.00.0138. Scrollbar is much better syncronised with the grid position, especially when using the Edit > Go To and Edit > Find windows. There are sometimes problems when working at the right or bottom edges of the grid but I am working on these.

I have optimised and refined the code which handles bookmarks. You can expect more of these occassional refinements to CFG Studio rather than massive updates because I am working on many other projects again. smile.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:34 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 October 2005 - 10:58 AM.

(I know this is my third consecutive post but they are all about a week apart and all contain important updates to this project.)

CRITICAL UPDATE: Some previous versions of CFG Studio would enter into an infinite loop in certain conditions where the View > ... Data menu code is run. Conditions included using File > Close and drag-dropping files when no file was already open. The new version is available from the CFG Studio page, which fixes this problem.

This version also has refined the way bookmarks are saved, sped up some generic parts of the code, refined the scrollbars a little more and tweaked some other bits and pieces. I intend to work on a transitional file opening routine which will be faster than the current one before I completely re-write the file opening procedures to support to provide the basis for opening any GTA text data file. A list of the last four recently opened files for the File menu, creating the Tools > Suspension Wizard are the current priority. Creating the File > Import Handling and File > Export Handling dialogue windows are also things I want to concentrate on. The final refinements to the way the scrollbars should not take much longer to complete, too. smile.gif

(EDIT) A couple of small updates to how the File > Save As menu gets enabled/disabled. Some code refinements, a bit of speeding up here and there, nothing major..

D4RK4SS4SSIN
  • D4RK4SS4SSIN

Assassin 4 Hire

• Members

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:09 PM

rahkstar2.gif HEY THIS PROGRAM IS EXCELLENT...AND THANKS SOOOOO MUCH FOR DA HELP rahkstar2.gif

_-_Mark_-_
  • _-_Mark_-_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 September 2005 - 03:11 PM Edited by _-_Mark_-_, 04 September 2005 - 10:06 AM.

i've signed up just to give ya a tip for the row sorting "bug"

the row sorting is done alphabetically, so if you put a 0 (zero) before a smaller number, it will be sorted correctly:

this:

becomes this:

and i like to ask what sort of control you use to display the data in, cause i know none vb- control that looks like that

EDIT: nvm looked at the source

lol another EDIT:
for the backup why is backup so difficult?
if you create in the same folder a file with the extension .bak
eg hanfdling.cfg.bak
then it is easy to restore that file, by just renaming it!

greetz,

Mark

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:32 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 October 2005 - 11:02 AM.

I've now released cfgstudio 0.00.0151 on the CFG Studio page of Project Cerbera. Lots of minor tweaks and fixes to the interface. There are no known errors with any file operations; these changes just improve how the interface works:-
  • Accuracy of the scroll bars has been improved.
  • The grid will scroll while sliding the scroller up and down in the bar. Before, the grid was only updated when you released the mouse button.
  • When moving a row up and down, the grid will only scroll if the row moves above or below the visible portion of the grid. The accuracy of when scrolling happens seems almost perfect, after a lot of fiddling.
  • Using View > Sort ... Data was actually sorting the data of the grid which was displayed instead of the data grid which was selected from the menu. This has been fixed and the code optimised a little. I have not yet started on making my own sorting algorith to overcome the problems with the control's current system.
  • Status bar now gets update when you move, delete or insert a row. You can delete multiple rows and there is a message box which warns you that you are about to permanently delete these rows and allows you to prevent the delete from happening.
  • Miscellaneous other little tweaks and fixes.
Plans for releases coming soon include moving multiple rows together. The rows to move will be detemined by the rows contained by the height of the highlighted area.

I intend to change the way that copy and paste procedures work so they handling the special data for boats, bikes, flying vehicles and animations more intelligently. When you copy special data from CFG Studio, it will automatically add the special data character to the start of that copied line. When you paste special data to CFG Studio, it will check the line to see if it is special data. If it is special data which is not for the grid which is currently displayed, it will ask if you want to paste it here anyway or switch to the correct grid or just cancel the paste operation.

This will make copying and pasting special data to and from internet forums, readme files, Emails, instant messanges and elsewhere a lot easier. My idea for CFG Studio is that it does all the technical stuff for the user without preventing advanced users from doing what they want, which is why it will ask what you want to do when pasting special data into the wrong grid rather than automatically moving it to another grid.

Mark, the backup system you have suggested would not work as expected because previous backups would get replaced. Also, many people will not realise they can rename files with a .bak extension. The factory defaults for some versions of Windows hide the extensions of files and this might make the job of restoring the backup even more difficult. What I could do is create backups called handling(current-date-and-time).cfg in that folder. The user would then be able to see they were a handling file and could be opened with CFG Studio.

They could then use File > Save As to replace their current handling.cfg with this backup version. No need for a complicated manager or risk replacing previous backups, plus they'd be able to see when the backup was made just by looking at it. W00t! tounge.gif

_-_Mark_-_
  • _-_Mark_-_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Sep 5 2005, 15:32)
What I could do is create backups called handling(current-date-and-time).cfg in that folder.

That should be great!

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Sep 5 2005, 15:32)

They could then use File > Save As to replace their current handling.cfg with this backup version.  No need for a complicated manager or risk replacing previous backups, plus they'd be able to see when the backup was made just by looking at it.

i think a backup manager should work a little better then Save As
it is some more work, but looks "better"
(dunno the exact word for it, but you get it i think tounge.gif

this program is a Great piece of work, and i would love to see the full version, if this beta is that good ! inlove.gif

D4RK4SS4SSIN
  • D4RK4SS4SSIN

Assassin 4 Hire

• Members

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:01 AM

YEH plsplspls build in a Backup creator...or make it ask if u want to create a backup when u goto save made changes...and pls make sure it works unlike some other programs i kno of *cough cough* GTA: SA Ultimate Editor *cough cough* and once agen thanks for da help wid dat issue

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:54 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 October 2005 - 11:01 AM.

The new version is cfgstudio 0.00.0153 and is available from the CFG Studio page, as ever. It includes the new backups system and recent files system. smile.gif

You open a handling file and click the File > Create Backup menu:
user posted image
640 x 480 - 89.4kB.

You get this prompt:
user posted image
534 x 133 - 13.8kB.

If you click "Yes" then your backup file is created in the same folder but with the current date and time in its filename:
user posted image
640 x 480 - 59.7kB.

An entry is added to the File > Recent Backups menu:
user posted image
640 x 480 - 88.4kB.

You can manage your backups from the File > Recent Backups > List All... menu, which displays this window:
user posted image
640 x 480 - 46.5kB.

I've also added a File > Recent Files list, which has a List All window with similar options. I've tested it fairly thoroughly but certain aspects of the List All windows might not work 100% as expected. You will always be prompted before any file is actually deleted. If you mess up the order of the list, or remove an item you wanted to keep, just click the Cancel button and your changes to it won't be saved. smile.gif

I'll add an extra button to the Backups List window called Replace Current, which will prompt you if you want to replace the currently open file with the selected backup. If you click Yes then it will replace the file...you get the idea.

(EDIT) Oh, I've made a few other fixes to the interface, such as some weird redraw glitches in the bottom-right corner of the grid, where the scrollbars meet up. Tidied up a few things here and there but mainly the update is the addition of these new features.

RainingAcid
  • RainingAcid

Hustler

• Members

Posted 19 September 2005 - 08:44 PM

I get an error. mad.gif

Server Name: projectcerbera.com
Your Bowser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.6
Your IP Address: 68.217.58.59
Requested URL: /!dev/index.html
Referring URL: http://www.gtaforums...2&f=51&t=196381
Status Code: 404

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 September 2005 - 09:09 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 October 2005 - 11:04 AM.

I think I have fixed this now. Some of my redirects to fix old links were messing up other links, so I've removed the redirects code. I'll have to devise a more sophisticated method.

(EDIT) The new release, cfgstudio 0.00.0154 is available from the same place as before. It includes these fixes and improvements:-
  1. Error sound when you pressed Esc or Return or Enter when editing data cells is now fixed. I hadn't noticed it before now because I turn off the Windows XP sounds.
  2. Fixed render error where scrollbars would be drawn on top of value lists when editing cells.
  3. Changed some colour settings around so it should suit the XP Blue theme better. If it doesn't look correct in your Windows theme, please post a thumbnailed screenshot and I'll see if I can neaten the program up a bit more.
  4. Tabbing around the main controls sometimes didn't work correctly. I think this is fixed, now. If you find any little errors like this are still present, please post a message saying what isn't working correctly.
  5. Fixed an error where the Row panel in the status bar would count the headers as being the first row. It now counts the first row of data as the first row.
  6. The Delete button in the File > Recent Backups > List All window will now delete the selected files, as well as removing them from the list. It confirms that you want to do this with a message box before actually deleting or removing anything.
  7. I have added a Restore button to this window but it is not coded yet. It will replace the contents of the currently open file with the contents of the selected backup. It won't save over the current file, so if you restore the wrong file then you can just close the file and click No to the "Save changes to this file?" prompt.
Expect some more updates over the next week or two. smile.gif

RnK
  • RnK

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:39 PM

I just download CFGstudio and installed runtime visualb6 and the .ocx file but when i start the program only sounds the error sound of windows and nothings happen.. what's the problem? confused.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

Wow, that's a pain. There's no error message at all? I have no idea what would cause an error like that. If you give me some more details we might be able to figure it out:-
  • What operating system are you using?
  • Where did you put the .OCX file?
  • Where did you get the VB6 runtime files?
  • How did you install the VB6 runtime files?
  • What are you doing to run the program?
  • Exactly when does the error occur? Is it straight after you run the program or is there a short/long pause?
  • Are any other programs not working properly?
You might be missing the VB6 Common Dialog Control but that would normally show an error message. I want this program to be available for everyone, so I will do my best to help sort out your problem. smile.gif

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 04 October 2005 - 10:36 AM

Little bug I just found after downloading. I tried adding three new bookmarks to all my GTA installations, and noticed that once I clicked OK, the bookmarks were all placed into one large string, each separated by a semicolon. Thus rendering the bookmarks useless. So at the moment I am only able to have one bookmark at a time...

<3D

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:08 AM

STM, in order for me to track down exactly which part of the code is going wrong I'll need some more details. smile.gif Which method did you use to add bookmarks? Take me through exactly what you did, then I can figure out exactly which process is messed up. Supplying the file paths you tried to bookmark could help, since there might be a bug with how certain characters are stored, or a problem with string length limits, or something even spookier...

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:39 AM

Right, well I removed your three default bookmarks to begin with, by selecting each individually and clicking 'remove'. I then proceeded to click 'add' and located my SA cfg at 'D:\SA\data\handling.cfg'. I clicked OK and added it, then followed the same procedure to add 'D:\VC\data\handling.cfg'. I clicked OK to exit the Bookmark Manager, and proceeded to click the Bookmark tab at the top of the program's window. I was presented with this:

user posted image

I've tried exiting the Bookmark Manager after adding each individual bookmark, but the same happens.

<3D

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2005 - 11:55 AM Edited by Cerbera, 04 October 2005 - 12:12 PM.

The good news is that I've successfully recreated the error thanks to your detailed post. My first guess is that there is a problem with how the Manage Bookmarks is saving the bookmark path string (each bookmark is delimited by semicolons) an then calling the UpdateBookmarks process. Alternatively, it could be a fault in the UpdateBookmarks process itself. I'll prod it and see. smile.gif

(EDIT) I've found the error! I was determine if the bookmark string had one item by checking if the array created by the Split() function had an upper boundary value of one. Since arrays start at zero, this actually means two items and not one item. That's why the two bookmark items were being treated as one item. I've checked the rest of the program for other upper boundary errors and although none of the others had this particular, I've made them a bit more robust than they were. I've tested the changed code and it works without stopping other features from working.

There are a few other things I want to do before the next release, such as writing the code for the Restore button in the Manage Bookmarks form and making sure one item in the lists is always selected.

RnK
  • RnK

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:46 PM Edited by RnK, 04 October 2005 - 03:06 PM.

im using winxp proffesional
the ocx is in the program folder and system32
the vb6 from http://www.microsoft...DD-CDF2D29A79D5

i installed the vb6 files and restarted windows
there's no error message only the typical error sound of windows and inmedately i start the program and the rest of my programs are working
fine

i hope you can help me

----
i think i found the problem, im downloading the sp6 vb6 not the sp5 files like the link, sorry for the troubles if this is the problem confused.gif

----
Nope, the problem stills here i don't know what can it be

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:02 PM Edited by Cerbera, 29 October 2005 - 11:15 AM.

We found out that the problem was his Windows XP Professional didn't have a C:\windows\system32\COMDLG32.OCX file, which is used by VB6 to create the common dialogues for File > Open and File > Save As operations. I will include this file in the next version and have updated the installation instructions in the readme.

Wow, that's two bugs fixed in less than half a day of them being reported. Even Mozilla don't fix things as fast as that! biggrin.gif

(EDIT) You can now download cfgstudio 0.00.0158 from CFG Studio page. This fixes the bookmarks bug and includes that .OCX file.

Does anyone mind that thier settings get replaced by mine every time I release a new version?

SeaNorris.
  • SeaNorris.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:09 PM

Great, I use this all the time to edit the lines.

One problem, well not really but look:

user posted image

*NOTE* That isnt my home PC, but they both run McAfee, it does the same on both. It doesnt bug me, I just press allow entire script, but there is something there it dont like.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:29 PM

Does the "Find out more information" give any technical details about why it considers the activity to be suspicious? All that CFG Studio does is link up with the .OCX files and read the cfgstudio.ini file at startup. I stopped using McAffee because it kept saying that totally benign programs were acting suspiciously. I've been using AVG with the Kerio firewall for about two years now, which has worked pretty well apart from having to tweak some of Kerio's settings for it to allow GTASA to run properly.

SeaNorris.
  • SeaNorris.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:33 PM

Actually, this is the first time I've ever come across this problem, anyway, more info:

user posted image

i just ignore it anyway, because I know it doesnt do anything bad smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users