Can't get San Andreas to start? Read here

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic
chrisy_mac
  • chrisy_mac

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:59 AM

I've read about so so many people like myself that have installed San Andreas PC version, played once with no problems (some havent even had the chance to play it at all), but on the second attempt at running the game, a reading disc icon appears, it appears to be loading, sometimes a black screen will flash up for a second and then you are thrown back to the desktop.

There are 2 ways I know of that fix this problem:

1. Delete "gta_sa.set" file from your "GTA San Andreas User Files" directory, it's located in "My Documents", and then try and run the game.

If this doesn't work:

2. Ue the following steps...

a) Make sure that your windows log-in account has a password, the change that you have to make doesn't allow a blank password to be entered.

b) Second click "gta_san.exe" (usually in Program Files > Rockstar Games) > "Run As" > "The following user"

c) Select the user you have a passoword for, type in password, press OK.

d) Log out (if you dont the game runs really slow for some reason)

5. Log back in and play the game!!

Eep
  • Eep

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:53 PM

I have Win2K SP4, 1.5GB RAM, GeForce FX 6800 (71.89 driver) and GTASA crashes (in gta_sa.exe) before displaying its menu. It's never worked. I'm using Hoodlum's no-CD crack and have tried the Documents and Settings fix. There is no gta_sa.set file. My Windows account has a password (even tried running as Administrator). This game is majorly bugged...

Eep
  • Eep

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:41 AM

OK, I reinstalled GTASA with the default location (C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\) and included the radio stations (full install) and the game started fine. Now if I can get the random freezes/crashes to stop...

Rockstar, test your stuff better...

In Your Nightmares
  • In Your Nightmares

yeah boie.

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:11 PM

Im havin the same problems.
Im running on:
Windows Xp Pro Service pack 2
S3Prosavage DDR
Moblie AMD Athlon.

Ive tried installing both with and without Audio. I tried chrisy_mac's steps and they didnt help.

Btw Im sorry for Bumping this topic. Im in the need of help.

Googlesta
  • Googlesta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (chrisy_mac @ Jun 15 2005, 10:59)
I've read about so so many people like myself that have installed San Andreas PC version, played once with no problems (some havent even had the chance to play it at all), but on the second attempt at running the game, a reading disc icon appears, it appears to be loading, sometimes a black screen will flash up for a second and then you are thrown back to the desktop.

There are 2 ways I know of that fix this problem:

1. Delete "gta_sa.set" file from your "GTA San Andreas User Files" directory, it's located in "My Documents", and then try and run the game.

If this doesn't work:

2. Ue the following steps...

a) Make sure that your windows log-in account has a password, the change that you have to make doesn't allow a blank password to be entered.

b) Second click "gta_san.exe" (usually in Program Files > Rockstar Games) > "Run As" > "The following user"

c) Select the user you have a passoword for, type in password, press OK.

d) Log out (if you dont the game runs really slow for some reason)

5. Log back in and play the game!!

Interesting idea about the log out log in thing. I think I'll link to that idea in my FAQ. If thats a problem then PM me.
My FAQ is here: http://www.gtaforums...&f=137&t=195505

I also have some other things that can fix a ran once, wont run again problem. Like if you have alchohol 120% running, uninstalling that can fix it, and a few other things that you can try.

In Your Nightmares
  • In Your Nightmares

yeah boie.

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

Nvm my last post. I finally go it to work with a 3d analizing program called 3d-Analzye. But thanx for the info in the above post.

inertrage
  • inertrage

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:21 AM

i have try what was posted but does not help at all! I install it and try to play it and nothing but a cd icon comes up for some secs. there was no gta_sa.set to delete. runing the recommened + for the game. and have a password and what not. So any other ideas?

sanandreasisfun
  • sanandreasisfun

[]D. []. []V[]. []D

• Members

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:35 PM

iv got the same problem but i can't even install mine. so ive obviously got a different problem. everywhere ive heard of this problem people have been able to install it just not play but mine won't even let me install it . it wont even process that theres even a disk in the drive Heeelppp!!! cry.gif

sailorcozmoz
  • sailorcozmoz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (sanandreasisfun @ Jul 20 2005, 16:35)
iv got the same problem but i can't even install mine. so ive obviously got a different problem. everywhere ive heard of this problem people have been able to install it just not play but mine won't even let me install it . it wont even process that theres even a disk in the drive Heeelppp!!! :*(

*exactly* my problem. I've been playing on my laptop for a while now, but wanted to install on my desktop and it doesn't even aknowledge a disk in the drive! I have a legit copy, my computer meets the specs, and R* tech support had no suggestions that worked :( I've also tried booting into Knoppix (just to see if it can even see the disk in the drive), and no luck there either. I've upgraded the firmware on my drive and still no change. This is very frustrating, does anyone have a fix?

maelstrom
  • maelstrom

[email protected]

• Members

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (sailorcozmoz @ Jul 23 2005, 00:41)
I've been playing on my laptop for a while now, but wanted to install on my desktop...

Well since your laptop has no issue with it, you could try to enable filesharing on the latop and share it with your desktop and try the install from the network drive...

first make sure your user names / passwords are the same on both machines

On the laptop just rt-clik and select "sharing" and "share as" then call it "dvd" or something then make sure it is visable with "start --> run" type "cmd" then "ok" type the command "net share" and enter... you should see "dvd d:\" or something like that.

Disable your firewall temporarily on both & get your laptop name by rt-clik on "my computer" and "properties" choose "computer name" should be "full computer name"

go to the desktop and see if it works with "start --> run" then "\\laptop-host-name\dvd" and after a few secs it should open up a window and you could just run setup from there... do the full install

Then get the "hoodlum no-cd / fixed exe" over at gamecopyworld.com and apply the fix, and you are up and running. Put your expensive game DVD away for safe keeping!

no idea if it will work, good luck...

sailorcozmoz
  • sailorcozmoz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (maelstrom @ Jul 23 2005, 11:45)
Well since your laptop has no issue with it, you could try to enable filesharing on the latop and share it with your desktop and try the install from the network drive...

Worked like a charm. Good thinking, and thank you so much!

sanandreasisfun
  • sanandreasisfun

[]D. []. []V[]. []D

• Members

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:14 AM

hello again, Ive also got a laptop and it installs fine on there but i cant play it on my laptop...long story but anyways in the first step of enabling sharing where do u right click..iknow it sounds stupid but i suck with computers smile.gif thnx

sanandreasisfun
  • sanandreasisfun

[]D. []. []V[]. []D

• Members

Posted 29 July 2005 - 04:47 AM

never mind i got smart and figured it out ...IM SO HAAPYY smile.gif i owe u the biggest thanx ever ur the greatest

KuZuKiE
  • KuZuKiE

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:19 PM

wait, so how do you fix this?

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 18 January 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (KuZuKiE @ Jan 18 2008, 03:49)
wait, so how do you fix this?

Don't bump old topics. Start a new topic stating your problem in detail. And read the pinned rules and posting requirements.

goosneves
  • goosneves

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

Well my problem is the same but I am running it on Vista and I could not even play once. When I installed fine and then I tried to play and it fakes loading then nothing happens. SAD cryani.gif (the saved files does not exist in documents and I am runnig the game as admin) suicidal.gif

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE (goosneves @ Apr 14 2008, 05:09)
Well my problem is the same but I am running it on Vista and I could not even play once. When I installed fine and then I tried to play and it fakes loading then nothing happens. SAD cryani.gif (the saved files does not exist in documents and I am runnig the game as admin) suicidal.gif

Try reinstalling your game into My Documents. It has been reported to work.
You can also try Windows 98 compatibility.

gtamodder
  • gtamodder

• Members

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (goosneves @ Apr 14 2008, 00:39)

Disable the user account control, restart computer, and delete .set file (documents\gta san andreas user files)

3dblades7009
  • 3dblades7009

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:03 AM

hey i have a PROBLEM confused.gif whenever i am openin' gta_sa.exe it is showing that gta sa.exe have encountered a problem and need to close.do u have any idea how to get rid of it?

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (3dblades7009 @ Feb 17 2011, 21:03)
hey i have a PROBLEM confused.gif whenever i am openin' gta_sa.exe it is showing that gta sa.exe have encountered a problem and need to close.do u have any idea how to get rid of it?

Please create a new topic for a new problem. Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users