» «
Photo

Decent Free Games

9 replies to this topic
Dalpura
  • Dalpura

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:41 AM

I've seen a few of these kicking around. Gunz Online was the most recent. So I was wondering, what have you come across? I'm not talking about those stupid flash or java games. I'm talking large downloadable (free/legal) games. So yeah, share or discuss. My personal favourites are Wolf:ET and GTA2. GTA2 being the classic it is, and Wolf:ET being the great online game it is.

So here's a list. I'll add any later on. Brief description or copy and paste off the official site would be nice.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

VERY popular online game. Based on the retail game Return to Castle Wolfenstein, it's Nazi's .v. Allies. You must complete objectives, and defeat your enemy using a variety of WWII weapons, and work with your team. There's about 30 active servers in Australia alone, being run by ISPs and that are always at least half full of players.

Grand Theft Auto

In 1997, a band of developers that would come to be known as Rockstar North and Rockstar Games released the original Grand Theft Auto on an unsuspecting public. The groundbreaking non-linear urban crime game shook up a complacent game industry with its irreverent gameplay, humor and style- and a phenomenon was born.

We are now offering this classic progenitor of the Rockstar Games lineage as the first in a recurring series of Rockstar PC game downloads, absolutely free of charge. It's a chance for new fans to experience the roots of Rockstar as well as our way of saying thank you to our long-time supporters feeling that pang of nostalgia. Simply fill out the form below and check your email for a direct link to the file - we've even optimized the game for play on the latest and greatest computers. Now, don't say we never gave you anything.

Grand Theft Auto 2

In 1999, Rockstar Games and Rockstar North (then known as DMA Design) furthered the groundbreaking gameplay concepts established just two years prior in the original Grand Theft Auto - with the release of GTA2. GTA2 expanded on the top-down, open-ended crime world gameplay formula with a host of new features including the advent of multiple rival gangs – seven, to be exact, including the Yakuza, Scientists, Looneys, Rednecks, Zaibatsu, the Russian Mob and Hare Krishnas. Earn your respect with each gang. Reap the benefits with all manner of shady work-for-hire gigs contracted your way. And climb your way to the top of the criminal pile.

Now, longtime Grand Theft Auto fans can revisit this classic entry in the series - and new jacks who missed out on this early franchise title can further discover Grand Theft Auto’s roots - absolutely free. GTA2 has been completely optimized for play on modern PCs and is available gratis for all registrants to the Rockstar Games mailing list (rest assured your information will not be shared with any third parties, you will only receive information from Rockstar). Simply fill out the form below and check your email for a direct link to the file (353 MB .zip file, includes install .exe, readme .txt file, and a .pdf of the original PC game manual).

Wild Metal Country

We proudly bring you this second installment in our series of complimentary full PC game downloads. Another vintage title from Rockstar North, then known as DMA Design, Wild Metal (1999) is a 3D strategic vehicular combat game set in a distant land, in which you command armed roving vehicles to disrupt dangerous automated military units that have overtaken the Tehric planetary system. While it flew under the mainstream radar when it was originally released, it was critically acclaimed for its unique yet intuitive control schemes and its massive open world to explore. We do hope you enjoy it.

This rare gem from early Rockstar history has now been optimized for play on modern PCs and is available on the house for all registrants to the Rockstar Games mailing list (rest assured your information will not be shared with any third parties, you will only receive information from Rockstar). Simply fill out the form below and check your email for a direct link to the file (170 MB .zip file, includes install .exe, readme .txt file, and a .pdf of the original PC game manual).

Shot Online

Golfing MMORPG that's pretty fun. Korean though, and some of the translations are wacky, but it has a good player base.

Soldat

Soldat is a unique side-view multiplayer action game. It takes the best from games like Liero, Worms, Quake and Counter-Strike and gives you fast action gameplay with tons of blood and flesh. Soldiers fight against each other on 2D battle arenas using a deadly military arsenal. This is what multiplayer was invented for.

Carom 3D

Carom 3D is an online multi-user billiard game created with special 3D graphic effects bringing every aspects such as 6 ball, 9 ball, 8 ball and others of Billiard game to life.

America's Army

America’s Army is one of the five most popular PC action games played online. It provides players with the most authentic military experience available, from exploring the development of Soldiers in individual and collective training to their deployment in simulated missions in the War on Terror.

Various Collections

Abandonia
On RPG

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:52 PM

http://www.shot-online.com/

Golfing MMORPG that's pretty fun. Korean though, and some of the translations are wacky, but it has a good player base.

Wolfwood
  • Wolfwood

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:04 PM

There are some really fun and quick games over at http://www.sonypictu...gfuhustle/site/. Worth a look or two.

Trogdor!
  • Trogdor!

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:22 PM

It might be a good idea to add Soldat to the list. It's a pretty fun 2D online shooter, kind of like Tribes in 2D tounge.gif

tehhunter
  • tehhunter

ShaqFu2u

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (Trogdor! @ Jun 18 2005, 09:22)
It might be a good idea to add Soldat to the list. It's a pretty fun 2D online shooter, kind of like Tribes in 2D tounge.gif

Hells yes, Soldat is awesome. It can have up to 30 players in a dedicated server with no lag. It is basically a 2d version of "Worms" with these weapons:
-Desert Eagles
-Uzis
-Ruger
-Steyr Auger
-AK47
-Barrett (Sniper Rifle w/ extended view over other weapons)
-Minigun
-Gattling Gun

And it also has these game modes:
-Capture the Flag
-Infiltration (One team defends a flag while the other tries to get it)
-Deathmatch
-Rambomatch (One player gets the Rambo-bow (Rambow) which is a high firing rate bow and arrow w/ 1 hit kills)
And another one I can't remember right now.

It is a great game with at least 350 people playing online at all times (350 is in the absolute late of night)

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:36 PM

http://www.carom3d.com/

Excellent free online 3D pool game. Getwiddit!

Sir Million Knives
  • Sir Million Knives

• Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

Soldat is pretty good, so is Wolf ET.

Abandonia.

sh*tloads of old, abandonware games. Classics like UFO: Enemy Unknown and Civ 2.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:51 AM

Here's a nice list of a lot of free games and many, if not all, can go online.All of the ones I saw mentioned here are listed there plus tons of others. http://www.onrpg.com/ftopic27172.html

BTW, don't forget America's Army which is also listed on that site.

Dalpura
  • Dalpura

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:03 AM

Alright, updated. Cheers. I'm definately going to check out a couple of those, and I can't believe I missed out America's Army. I used to play it quite a lot. blush.gif

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:04 PM

These two are posted on these forums; http://www.kalonline.com/ (Free MMO) and http://www.gunzonline.com/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users