Photo

Car Window Transparency

8 replies to this topic
SubConscious
  • SubConscious

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:41 PM

hey, does anyone know how to make all the car windows 100% transparent? in vice city when i was using the camhack for dashboard view i had to shoot the front window out each time or it made it much darker because of the tint. this time, i want to find a way around that, i dont know if it would involve editing every car individually or if there is a global setting/texture for all the windows. either way, i'm willing to do it.

cheers

Sharkey
  • Sharkey

Invisible

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE (SubConscious @ Jun 14 2005, 13:41)
hey, does anyone know how to make all the car windows 100% transparent? in vice city when i was using the camhack for dashboard view i had to shoot the front window out each time or it made it much darker because of the tint. this time, i want to find a way around that, i dont know if it would involve editing every car individually or if there is a global setting/texture for all the windows. either way, i'm willing to do it.

cheers

well im not sure which game your talking about but if its for vice take the .dff and open it in zmodelor.
then open the materials editor and you should be able to change the opacity,
this is how i tint my windows.

then just save for vice and its done.
you will have to do them one by one though.

if its for SA,
youll have to wait a bit but it should work the same...

SubConscious
  • SubConscious

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:48 AM

its for SA, thanks for the tip. i dont know if its just me that wants the tint removed for dashboard view or if other people want the same, but in the future i'll release it as a mod if possible.

sonnybu1
  • sonnybu1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:05 AM

I already opened a similar topic a few weeks ago in this forum.

However i've had the following problem : i import an unlocked dff into zmodeler. I set the opacity slider all the way to the left (total transparency), but quite often, when i export the resulting file as a vice city dff, the game crashes when the car is supposed to appear. I start all over, but export the car as a gta 3 dff and 9 times out of 10 it shows in the game but there's no reflection, the paint texture looks weird, like cartoonish.

So far, no answer to that problem. Since Vice City is over and we'll have to use zmodeler 2 to modify san andreas dff, this could be irrelevant soon, but if you have the solution it would be great to know.

SubConscious
  • SubConscious

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:43 PM

i'll see what i can figure out. it sounds like either something to do with the format, or the file size perhaps, usually trial and error eventually fixes the problems.

sonnybu1
  • sonnybu1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:46 PM

I forgot to mention it : i tried importing the cars in zmod and exporting it immediately without touching anything and the result is the same. It seems to happen mostly with high poly, very detailed models, usually dffs of sizes above 1 MB. The excellent cars from the JVT team are a perfect example of that.

SubConscious
  • SubConscious

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:05 PM

when you opened it and saved it without doing anything, did you compare the dff file before and after to check the size? is there anything else other than zmod that can edit them?

sonnybu1
  • sonnybu1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:11 PM

"when you opened it and saved it without doing anything, did you compare the dff file before and after to check the size?"

Yes and most of the time the resulting dff loses several Ks in the process, usually around 8 but in some cases it can be as low as 2 or as high as 12.

"is there anything else other than zmod that can edit them?"

Apparently it"s the only program out there that can output a dff file, unless i'm mistaken. Which seems weird to me, as most cars were made with zmod. So how can it output a working model once and a conflicting model the second time ??? doesnt seem logical.

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

If your having problems with window transparancey, theres another way to do it instead of creating a material and changing its opacity

instead mapp all your windows to a white or black texture,
then select all the faces in faces mode
then press Ctrl+A or Edit/attributes
go to the second tab "Misc", and at the top, check off "semi-transparant", then OK

now all the faces you selected are transparant!, this is actualy how Rockstar's default cars are... using semi-transparantcey rather than a transparant Material

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users