» «
Photo

~Recognize User Tracks Solved~

58 replies to this topic
dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:14 PM Edited by dertyjerzian, 16 June 2005 - 09:18 PM.

Ok, I saw a bunch of people were having problems getting SA to scan and find their mp3's, ogg's, and wma's (Wma IS supported, srry for those I told I wasn't sure), so I decided to throw together a quick guide that should get everyone going and provide some quick help for anyone else who ends up coming across this issue.

I will not cover any modifications to the way this should be done here. At least not until I know how to make the other stuff work (i.e. playlists etc).

Before I start I want us to be on the same page, so...

First, if you have copied any folders, songs, or shortcuts into your user tracks folder (mydocuments\gta sanan user files\user tracks) delete them (or move the non-shortcut items away, do not use actual files to play your music, ONLY shortcuts). Empty the folder out completely.

Next, if you are running anything lower than Windows Media Player 9 Series, then that is your only real problem. Update your player, and I recommend WMP10 over 9 Series as this is the player I am using for the example. The game will recognize your shortcuts and even reflect changes made in the two data files for your user lists, but simply will NOT play them without a newer windows media player. Again, I would go with Ten

Once you have updated your player:

~Creating shortcuts and scanning for changes~

XP users go into your documents folder and right click "my music" or wherever you keep your music and choose "create shortcut". Cut and paste this new shortcut into your user tracks folder, start the game, go to the audio options menu into usertrack settings and scan for songs. Play the game and give me a cookie wink.gif .

NOTE: You do not have to make a shortcut to all the songs in your list. Just the folder that houses the tracks you need will do. For instance, if you want album five out of ten, and none of the rest: Rather than a "my music" shortcut, you'd just deeper into the my music folder, into the unknown artist foler, and finally make a shortcut of your selected folder. Also, if you have a lot of folders, or you just wanna be neat about things, you can choose "send to -> Desktop (create shortcut)" so that you can find your shortcuts that much easier.

Other windows types, this should be the same, but you may not have the same default music directory. In any case, just follow the above steps and you should be fine.\

FAQ

Here there will be a faq for any questions that arise here. The entire format of this post will be cleaner soon, but I'm off to try and find solutions for the options/display/advanced crash right now... see ya pals.

EDIT I left out the fact that this is not my own work, only some. I got hints here and there from a few posts across the boards and a few other forums. Thanks everyone who has helped. cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif if you stinky about it enough, maybe ill add ya to this post as credit suicidal.gif lol

EDIT

Troubleshooting:

"Won't Play"

1 Our friend Majuub finds that disabling his modem helps. My modem isnt even currently installed, so you may need to try that. Look below for his post.

harag
  • harag

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

This has worked for me 100%

I have the following folders: (created by WMP10)

...My Music/CD_Music/ArtistName/AlbemName/*.mp3

I did a right click on the CD_Music folder created shortcut and cut and pasted it into the user files folder for GTA. I just lover there system of using my music - another game I have doesn't use shortcuts and has its own folder for custom music - but thats another story.

again THANKS for taking the time to piece all the clues together. Now to get back into the game and enjoy it.

(btw this worked in the menu options... Not yet tried it in the actual car/game but I bet it will work just as well...)

Alan

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:01 AM

great, glad it worked. I was so glad to read that and not a bunch of hate mail lol.

I wasnt sure when I wrote it, but I had a good feeling, plus it was what worked for me.

anyway. Bump. I see sound users again in the front of the threads.

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:54 PM

bumpo, hasnt been a topic in a bit, i smell one coming.

Victor
  • Victor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:21 PM Edited by Victor, 15 June 2005 - 05:42 PM.

I did EXACTLY what you said and still I only get the commercials.

I use WMP 10 (although it's not my standard player. I tried if it would work when I turned WMP to my standard player but no success though).

I made a shortcut of a hole map, a selection of MP3's and I copied the real MP3's in the map.
All without any success... Can anybody help me? sad.gif

Specs:

AMD Sempron 2800+
512 MB RAM
GeforceFX 5200 128mb

Windows XP SP2

Finknz
  • Finknz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:04 AM

If someone could help me I would be grateful to them, - I am getting the user tracks to play - but I can't hear any of the ads in between. I know it's not the end of the world! Although it would be nice to hear them smile.gif

Any ideas? dontgetit.gif

DarkKnight
  • DarkKnight

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:36 AM

To answer your ads "problem", the ads aren't coming between each 2 sound tracks, but just once in a while. And when you have set your user-tracks on radio model, it will just keep going, even when you aren't in the car, so it's very easy to miss a track and/or the ad in between.
At first I also thought that something was wrong when i didn't hear any ads inbetween, but yesterday or day before that, I finally heard a few. So i guess you will just have to stay inside a car for a long time to try it out.

And as a comment to this topic: in the first post, the poster said that you shouldn't place the complete mp3 files in the user files, but it's not like that won't work if you do...
In my situation it's better to have the complete files in there, i think. As my music is on an external drive, so it would mean longer access/seeking times and more load for the pc.

Victor
  • Victor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (Finknz @ Jun 16 2005, 05:04)
If someone could help me I would be grateful to them, - I am getting the user tracks to play - but I can't hear any of the ads in between. I know it's not the end of the world! Although it would be nice to hear them smile.gif

Any ideas?  dontgetit.gif

In the 'User Track Options' menu, put 'sequential' or 'random' to 'radio'

then you should hear the ads

@DarkKnight: This could be an idea, but how many ads do you normally hear between the tracks, because if it's just one ad between two tracks it's still not working for me sad.gif I've allready heared 2 ads in a row

Majuub
  • Majuub

Bull Ant!!!

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:13 AM

Ive covered this in the PC Version thread but ill say it here too.

I solved my User Tracks not working problem by disabling my modem under Sound Video and Game Controllers in Device Manager, seems my modem doubles as a sound card and was conflicting with my Creative Soundblaster Audigy LS :S

Hope this helps some people smile.gif

Victor
  • Victor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:56 AM

thanks for your reply but unfortunately it can't be that since I don't have a modem (I access internet via a LAN connection) confused.gif

MichaelCVaughn
  • MichaelCVaughn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:56 PM

I'd like help with a problem I have. I put shortcuts in my user tracks folder and started the game, started up my savegame and tried to scan for user tracks. (in audio menu) PC worked a bit, then finished. I quickly got a car and tuned in. But there was just some static... and it was on every station. Can someone help me solve that problem?

BTW, sorry for my english. I'm just a german pupil. smile.gif

westsidebud
  • westsidebud

Descanter The Insalubrious

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:55 PM

Uhmm you do know that ya all would have
found this out if ya just read the "readme" right ?

here ill even quote it..

3) USER RADIO STATIONS

User Radio Files

GRAND THEFT AUTO: San Andreas can support the playback of the users own audio files. By default the game ships with support for Windows Wave files (WAV) and Ogg Vorbis (OGG) files. Additionally, with the correct CODECS installed to your computer, you can playback MP3, WMA, M4A, etc. To facilitate playback of these formats you can -

Install the latest Apple QuickTime Player
  or
  Install Microsoft Windows Media Player 9 OR 10
  or
  Install a combined CODEC package

"User Radio Options" Page

Play Mode    Radio / Random / Sequential
  Radio - User tracks interspersed with radio commercials.
  Random - Plays the user tracks uninterrupted and at random.
  Sequential - Plays the user tracks in alphabetical order.

Automatic Media Scan  On / Off
  Forces the game to re-scan for user tracks each time it is loaded.

Scan User Tracks
  Allows the user to scan the user tracks folder for compatible audio files.

Q: Why do I only hear advertisements when listening to the User Track Player?
A: Check that any shortcuts in the "My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files\User Tracks" are valid and that they have been scanned using the Scan User Tracks function in the User Track Options menu submenu of the Audio Setup menu. If trying to playback MP3, M4A or WMA tracks you may need to install Windows Media Player, QuickTime or a third party codec pack.

Q: Why does GRAND THEFT AUTO: San Andreas take a long time to start up if I have lots of music files or shortcuts in my User Tracks folder?
A: This occurs when Automatic Media Scan is set to ON in the User Track Options. Turning off the Automatic Media Scan will make loading faster and, in sequential mode, will stop the User Track Player from returning to the first track after the game loads.

Q: Why does GRAND THEFT AUTO: San Andreas always start on the same track when in sequential mode?
A: This occurs when Automatic Media Scan is set to ON in the User Track Options menu. Turning off the Automatic Media Scan will stop the User Track Player from returning to the first track after the game loads.

Note: You may wanna give Rockstar North
some credits in your tutorial sigh.gif

Victor
  • Victor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:35 PM

Offcourse I allready checked the readme file, but still no luck...

FedjaSA
  • FedjaSA

Basketball Freak

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:16 PM

All the stuff worked for me but i have one tiny problem.

All of the songs work for me but when i import one song,it won't play it.However,i tried rescanning couple of times and still nothing,the game just won't play it.

Any solutions???

Darksen
  • Darksen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

Oo Next problem ;D
First i did everything said in the readme ... didn't work
Then i tried the solution given here ... didn't work...
Can someone tell me what's not right? tounge.gif
A friend of mine just put the music in the folder and it worked ... but at my pc i won't do so >.<

maybe someone can help me @ icq ... my number is 343642274

thx an greetz

darksen

jasper9
  • jasper9

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:38 PM Edited by jasper9, 16 June 2005 - 06:50 PM.

couple of days ago i could just listen to my own music, but now i opnly hear commercials
i tryed wma, mp3, and wav, but i get only commercials

MichaelCVaughn
  • MichaelCVaughn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:37 PM

Sorry for bothering you, it works now... don't know what changed, but it works and I'm happy. Again sorry for posting. colgate.gif

These smilies are awesome, by the way. smile.gif cookie.gif

TheJkWhoSaysNi
  • TheJkWhoSaysNi

Goes into lifts and presses all the floors

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:01 PM

Does anyone experience a crash when putting a shortcut to their music folder?

Generally i can hear one song, but then randomly it will crash with a send error report dialog.

Sometimes the song will be playing while the send error report dialog is there.

What could be the problem?

-I have ogg, mp3 and wma files.
-I have about 2500 tracks. Could this be the problem?

One other thing i've noticed is that the times when the music has been playing during the send error report dialog it has been a long song (longer than 10 mins). Maybe this causes a problem?

Has anyone else experienced this?

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (DarkKnight @ Jun 16 2005, 07:36)
To answer your ads "problem", the ads aren't coming between each 2 sound tracks, but just once in a while. And when you have set your user-tracks on radio model, it will just keep going, even when you aren't in the car, so it's very easy to miss a track and/or the ad in between.
At first I also thought that something was wrong when i didn't hear any ads inbetween, but yesterday or day before that, I finally heard a few. So i guess you will just have to stay inside a car for a long time to try it out.

And as a comment to this topic: in the first post, the poster said that you shouldn't place the complete mp3 files in the user files, but it's not like that won't work if you do...
In my situation it's better to have the complete files in there, i think. As my music is on an external drive, so it would mean longer access/seeking times and more load for the pc.

exactly, you can use the real files of the songs, but why would you want to add double files to your system? Kinda rdundant right? well, im going to read on and add a second post after this, but I saw A few people were having trouble like this already. As a side note, i dont think real tracks work for me, but i didn't feel like playing with it, i just threw my shortcuts back in the User Tracks folder.

I'll learn how to do multiple quotes in one post at this forum soon so i never have to post a second time on purpose. Talking to a couple mods about different things right now, and i know they do this very thing (quote multiples times, not double ad triple post).

deusvalor
  • deusvalor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

Hey my problem's kind of different i don't have a User Tracks folder at all! I searched my whole PC and found none. I tried creating the folders and adding in the files but still no luck. Can anyone help?

Victor
  • Victor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

@deusvalor: when I installed SA i first had to run SA once before the map would appear.

Ok, I found out a half solution for my probs with user tracks.

Before SA I had changed my 'My Documents' map from C:\Documents and Settings.... to my D drive. I found out that when I turned it back to the standard map, it will play ogg files.

But now the problem remains: how do I get MP3's to work??? sad.gif I have WMP 10 installed and working....

Anybody has an idea for me??

deusvalor
  • deusvalor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:45 PM

I ran the game too but the folder remains elusive.

Victor
  • Victor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:47 PM

hmmm strange because when u run the game and change settings the game makes the config files... You'd better check your system with the search option of XP for the map... Maybe it's just in a different directory...

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:23 PM

@ deusvalor: you probably wouldnt be able to play the game without the user files. they have to be there: document/gta san andreas user files/user tracks. it is NOT in the same place as the mp3 folder in vice city. it is where your save games go...

@Victor. Victor, you would play mp3's the same way. Just add a shortcut to their residing folder nd scan for new tracks.

Googlesta
  • Googlesta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:00 PM

Good post dertyjerzian, I'm going to link it in my FAQ. If there's a problem with that, please pm me thanks.
A couple ideas you may want to add. One you can find out if its a codec issue by trying a few files that are only ogg. Oggs are supported by default (mp3s aren't) by the game so if it plays with them, its a codec issue and its nessasary to follow some other steps you mention like install wmp9/10 etc.
Another one is the post on the 2nd page about having the mydocs in the standard location on C: drive. He talked about remapping screwing that up, which maybe he means the hex editing thing for a nonstandard save game location to fix the "." in username problem, not sure.

Grombart
  • Grombart

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:51 PM

Any ideas? dontgetit.gif

i have the same problem here... can hear my music but can't hear commercials... the "Radio" option IS turned on!

any ideas? is it because i placed 2 shortcuts in the music folder?

or just another big BUG?

Googlesta
  • Googlesta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:05 AM

QUOTE (Grombart @ Jun 17 2005, 22:51)

Any ideas?  dontgetit.gif

i have the same problem here... can hear my music but can't hear commercials... the "Radio" option IS turned on!

any ideas? is it because i placed 2 shortcuts in the music folder?

or just another big BUG?

It doesn't play ads between every song. Only every few, at least that I've noticed.

gohan2091
  • gohan2091

PC Gamer

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:19 AM

I cant get my user track player to work... I have xVid, divX and several other codecs installed, I have WMP10, Quicktime 6 and the game wont play.. I just hear commericals.

I have inserted shortcuts to my folders, shortcuts to music files and even put the actual music file in the folder and it wont work....I am putting them in C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files\User Tracks and then scanning for the files in the game.

Why isnt this working?!

Googlesta
  • Googlesta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE (gohan2091 @ Jun 18 2005, 00:19)
I cant get my user track player to work... I have xVid, divX and several other codecs installed, I have WMP10, Quicktime 6 and the game wont play.. I just hear commericals.

I have inserted shortcuts to my folders, shortcuts to music files and even put the actual music file in the folder and it wont work....I am putting them in C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\GTA San Andreas User Files\User Tracks and then scanning for the files in the game.

Why isnt this working?!

Try some ogg files.

Jackson84
  • Jackson84

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:37 AM

I cant get mp3 files to play. Only ogg files work for me. Anyone know what could be wrong?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users