» «
Photo

Change the user track station name

4 replies to this topic
syc0
  • syc0

I'm a Unix guy really.

• Members

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:51 PM Edited by syc0, 13 June 2005 - 06:53 PM.

One of the things that bugged me about SA for PC was the user track station was called 'user track player', it looked totally out of place among the other stations. So here's a little tutorial on how to call it something else, I've tried to explain every little detail so that anyone can follow it.

By the way, you can use this method to edit any of the game strings (just remember that the strings can only be shorter or the same length as the string it's replacing)

You will need a hex editor for this. I use XVI32 for this tutorial. Get it from here http://www.handshake...nload/xvi32.zip

1. Goto the 'text' subdirectory in your San Andreas directory (usually C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\text)
2. MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE FILES IN THAT DIRECTORY.
3. Start XVI32.
3. Open the GXT file (american.gxt for most people) in XVI32.
4. Press Search->Find in the menu (may be different for other hex editors). 5. Press 'Text string'. Type 'USER TRACK PLAYER' in the top text box (without the quotes, but WITH the capitals). Press 'OK'.
6. It should have found it if you followed the last step correctly.
7. Press the highlighted 'U' on the right panel, the right panel should then turn white. Type what you want the radio station to be called (MUST BE 17 LETTERS OR LESS).
8. You will probably have some letters left from the old text, so press the blue highlighted number on the left panel (the left panel should turn white). Now keep pressing '00' on the keyboard until all the unused letters on the right panel are filled with boxes.
9. Save.

If it doesn't work (the game crashes or the text is messed up), just copy the backup GXT file back and start again.

Note: this will probably be useless when a GXT editor is released. wink.gif

Sobeit
  • Sobeit

mta ninja

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:27 PM

you can do this with notepad as well...

i think you wouldnt have to replace characters with 0x00 either.

syc0
  • syc0

I'm a Unix guy really.

• Members

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:16 PM

GXT files are a binary format, trying to edit them in notepad will most likely screw them up.
Strings in GXT's are terminated with the null character (a common scheme in computer coding). Covering the rest with the null character reduces the risk of problems.

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci Racing

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (syc0 @ Jun 13 2005, 21:16)
GXT files are a binary format, trying to edit them in notepad will most likely screw them up.
Strings in GXT's are terminated with the null character (a common scheme in computer coding). Covering the rest with the null character reduces the risk of problems.

notepad will screw them up.

theanonymous21
  • theanonymous21

One Super GTA Badass

• Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

works, thanks:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users