Photo

lotus elise

12 replies to this topic
SaltonSea123
  • SaltonSea123

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:31 AM

I'm not even 21 yet, but I've saved a good deal of money working for my relative's computer company, and other work thruout the years and I'm considering saving until I can afford a Lotus. What do you think about this idea? I don't know much about cars, but I really like this car. With my dad's help, I can prolly afford one by 2006, hopefully as a graduation gift. Heck, I'm making 5,000 this summer working 42 hour weeks.

Macintire Sniper
  • Macintire Sniper

irRashonel

• Members

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:09 AM

I think you have to take a few things into account before making your decision :

-Insurance [If your from UK your gonna get raped for insurance]
-Do you have a steady flow of income to both repair it if it broke down, to fuel it, to insure it etc.

But thats just what i'd think of first, i think overall if you really want one then hell yeh, go for it, at least you can say you worked hard for it and it'l a car well deserved, but i'd recomment looking into the typical mpg usage for this car plus the insurance.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:16 PM

If you're american, getting an Elise shouldn't be too hard to do since they're in the lower $30K range. Any 40h/week job could easily afford this car.

quackaddict
  • quackaddict

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:05 PM

sh*t, if I was going to get a street legal go cart I'd opt for the Beck 550.

user posted image

user posted image

At a scant 1360lbs this car goes 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and eats the quarter in 13's.

Base Model Kit Total Price (NO MOTOR, NO TRANSAXLE).......$18,950

BASIC PACKAGE: Without Engine or Transaxle. Kit includes ,front suspension with disc brakes, Complete interior, standard padded steering wheel, windshield and frame, wiring harness, dash switches, standard turn signals and taillights, brake and fuel lines, linkages and control cables, mechanical rod shifter, fuel tank, lights, 4 into 1 exhaust system and 5 chrome plated 4-bolt Mangels rims with 2-Dunlop Sport A2 205/60 R-15 and 3-185/65 R-15 tires (3rd Tire for Spare). Body painted and bonded to powder-coated chassis, with doors, trunk and engine cover attached.

NOTE: Engine and Transaxle Must be Ordered and Paid for Separately.

Available Customized Options:

Mechanical Options
Rear Disc Brakes (4 lug wheel) $700
Duel Magna Flow Muffler 4 into 1 Exhaust System $950
Original Style Wide 5 Lug Wheel Kit/4 Wheel Disc Brakes (Wheels Chrome or Powder Coated Silver) $2800
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interior Options
Custom Upgrade Original Style Buckets, Red, Black, Tan or Custom. (Replaces Standard Seats.) $1800
Carpet Upgrade with Custom Shift Tunnel Cover and Boot. High Quality Loop Carpeting and Stitching. $900
Steering Wheel /Turn Signal Package Upgrade Nardi Wood Steering Wheel or Banjo Style Steering Wheel $850
Chrome Dash Grab Handle, (mounts on passenger side dash panel) $150
Simpson Racing Lap Belts Pair in Black, Red or Platinum $250
Aluminum Instrument Panel Insert (Silver Wrinkle Texture) $200
Chrome Plated Dash Loops Set of 4 (Cosmetic Only, Non Functional) $110
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exterior Options
Special Order Paint Colors (Must Provide Sikkens Color Code) for Colors Other Than Silver or Silver/Blue) $500
Custom Fitted Convertible Top with Detachable Side Curtain Windows $650
Custom Fitted Cloth Convertible Top with Detachable Side Curtain Windows $850
Driver's Side Racing Style Mirror (Painted to Match Body Color) $350
Leather Straps for Rear Deck (Tan shown, Black available) $250
Nurburging Badge (For Left Side Front Quarter Panel Below Spyder Script) $125
Wendler Body Badges (For Both Front Quarter Panels) $85
Simulated Chrome Key Latches - front and rear $300
Original Style Tail and Turn Signal Lights and Bezels $500
Original Style Rear License Plate Light Housing $150
Tonneau Cover (Matches Interior Color) with Center Zipper $500
Passenger Side Mirror (Matches Driver Side Standard GT-400 Style Mirror) $150
Head Rest (Helmet Faring) Removable with storage Bag and Head Rest Pad (painted to Match Body Color) $500
Fluted Headlight Lens $160
Jacking Points (Front Non Functional) $250
Front Grill (Painted to Match Body Color) $350
Engine Options
1915cc Engine w/Electronic Ignition $4037.00
2165cc engine Engine w/Electronic Ignition $4637.00
CNC Ported and Polished Heads with Stainless Steel Valves. $400.00
Polished Aluminum intake (Manifold Linkage, Air Cleaners and Bases) $240.00
Aluminum Valve Covers $60.00
Stainless Steel Fuel Lines with AN Fittings $125.00
Powder Coated Sheet Metal in Red, Black or Silver $210.00
Transaxle Selection
(Rebuilt) 12V Stock Swing Axle w/Axels/ Boots/ Throw Out Bearing / 3:88 Ring and Pinion / New Rhino Case $1119.00

(Rebuilt) 12V Prostreet Swing Axle w/Axels/ Boots/ Throw Out Bearing / 3:88 Ring and Pinion / (2) Aluminum Side Covers / Super Differential/ New Rhino Case $1364.00

NEW 0 MILES 12V Stock
Swing Axle w/Axels/ Boots/ Throw Out Bearing / 3:88 Ring and Pinion / New Rhino Case $1800.00
NEW 0 MILES 12V Prostreet
Swing Axle w/Axels/ Boots/ Throw Out Bearing / 3:88 Ring and Pinion / (2) Aluminum Side Covers / Super Differential/ New Rhino Case $2025.00
Tall 1st and 2nd Gear Option $550.00
All transaxles set up with flipped ring and pinion for Mid-Engine operation in the Beck Spyder

All above prices equipped with standard drum brakes unless otherwise specified.
4 bolt disc brakes or 5 lug upgrade disc brake kits must be ordered from Beck Motorsports.
Rancho will install these on your transaxle at no extra charge.

user posted image

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:41 PM

That car deserves and entire freaking topic for itself.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:33 AM

While the Elise is good you really have to understand that its really not aimed at your basic traveller as it has no radio and a very basic racing interior so yeah its not a car you can or should use everyday.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Jun 17 2005, 03:33)
While the Elise is good you really have to understand that its really not aimed at your basic traveller as it has no radio and a very basic racing interior so yeah its not a car you can or should use everyday.

QUOTE (LotusCars.com)
Sound system
  Radio and single CD - 4 speakers
  -  Standard - Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD52
  -  Tour Pack - Blaupunkt Los Angeles with MP3 capability

Dup
  • Dup

Retired Lurker

• Zaibatsu

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:21 PM

The Elise is a lovely looking car, It's damn quick and handles like a dream. Its no daily runner though. Its bloody uncomfortable and theres no room for more than one mate, and the girlfriend will whinge her back hurts from the hard seats and vibration when the cars novelty wears off. I know this from first hand experience from driving one around for a day.

I wouldn't bet on being able to insure one in the UK until you're at least 25 with a full no-claims bonus or at least full experience in driving from at least 18/19 years old.

Stick with your hot hatches for now if I were you, for the sakes of building up a no-claims bonus and to build up as much driving experience as possible. Likely you'll trust the handling of the Elise too much and get caught out in the rain, which they're not all that positive on.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE (Chunky Lee Chong @ Jun 17 2005, 21:41)

QUOTE (LotusCars.com)
Sound system

Well the model I've seen reviewed has a very simple dashboard with no audio system, so yeah I dunno but I was just making the point that its no comfortable everyday car.

MsNobody
  • MsNobody

Playstation Portable

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (SaltonSea123 @ Jun 13 2005, 04:31)
I'm not even 21 yet, but I've saved a good deal of money working for my relative's computer company, and other work thruout the years and I'm considering saving until I can afford a Lotus. What do you think about this idea? I don't know much about cars, but I really like this car. With my dad's help, I can prolly afford one by 2006, hopefully as a graduation gift. Heck, I'm making 5,000 this summer working 42 hour weeks.

Do you need to be 21 to buy a Lotus?

Kristian D'Agustino
  • Kristian D'Agustino

Faggi

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (MsNobody @ Jun 18 2005, 01:44)
QUOTE (SaltonSea123 @ Jun 13 2005, 04:31)
I'm not even 21 yet, but I've saved a good deal of money working for my relative's computer company, and other work thruout the years and I'm considering saving until I can afford a Lotus.  What do you think about this idea?  I don't know much about cars, but I really like this car.  With my dad's help, I can prolly afford one by 2006, hopefully as a graduation gift.  Heck, I'm making 5,000 this summer working 42 hour weeks.

Do you need to be 21 to buy a Lotus?

Was that a serious question?

All I'll say is this... If I where to buy a Lotus Elise, VX220 or whatever, I'd HAVE to own another car.
No f*cking way should these types of cars be the only vehicle per person. It's a toy.

Be like me and buy a rocket hatch.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Jun 18 2005, 03:43)
QUOTE (Chunky Lee Chong @ Jun 17 2005, 21:41)

QUOTE (LotusCars.com)
Sound system

Well the model I've seen reviewed has a very simple dashboard with no audio system, so yeah I dunno but I was just making the point that its no comfortable everyday car.

Well, it may have been one of Lotus' several special race-edition Elise's, like the Type 190, etc.

The Guitarded Dude
  • The Guitarded Dude

ΈŁ Μřĩąċħĩ

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:13 AM

love this car, but the main problem with it is, imagine the hatch opening while going 60 down a freeway, i can already see the hangtime. -Regards, Guitard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users