Photo

pumping breaks?

16 replies to this topic
SaltonSea123
  • SaltonSea123

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:14 AM

dude, my dad always pumps the brakes to stop our car. It's a new car with f'n abs yet he still, every time we need to slow down or stop, he pumps the brakes. I'm kinda imbarassed to ask him why or tell him to stop, do you guys know why he does this? is it normal? that's not how I'm learning to drive (i just have a permit)

quackaddict
  • quackaddict

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:51 PM

lol. It's pointless if he has antilock brakes. Old people got taught to do that back in the day so that their brakes won't lock up in the rain, snow or ice. So, appartently, he got that drilled into his head. One other reason for him to pump the brakes is to keep the brakes cooler, but I doubt he is driving an 80,000lb loaded 18-Wheeler downhill through the Rockies, so again, it would be pointless.

Richard Zurawski
  • Richard Zurawski

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:26 PM

It also could be to do with the car. If air has gotten into the braking system in the car then, after driving a bit these air pockets work their way around and thus makes it so you have to push the pedal further down than before to get the same braking effect. Pumping the pedal works the air pockets away from the pedal thus making it so when you press the pedal it only goes down as much as it should to make the brakes work.

Hope that made sense to you.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:12 PM

Eh, seeing as I'm a newer generation child, what does pumping the brakes mean?

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

I drink and I smash because i love

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE (Chunky Lee Chong @ Jun 14 2005, 16:12)

pushing the brake pedal, letting off, pushing, letting off....repeat until stopped. for vehicles without anti-lock brakes, if you just hold the brakes, it locks up the tires and you dont have steering, meaning no control. when you pump the brakes, you alternate between braking and steering, when you let off, you get steering again, when you hit the brakes again and the wheels lock up, you lose it.

Brown Streak RR
  • Brown Streak RR

GTAF Train Freakô

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:19 AM

Don't worry, my dad learned what ABS was on Test Track at Disneyworld. lol.gif

He doesn't pump the brakes anymore, and neither do I. It's pointless. Unless you want to make your car more visible to those behind you by flashing the brake lights.

Cars are getting so much smarter these days...

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (SIP_YEK_NOD @ Jun 15 2005, 03:53)
QUOTE (Chunky Lee Chong @ Jun 14 2005, 16:12)

pushing the brake pedal, letting off, pushing, letting off....repeat until stopped. for vehicles without anti-lock brakes, if you just hold the brakes, it locks up the tires and you dont have steering, meaning no control. when you pump the brakes, you alternate between braking and steering, when you let off, you get steering again, when you hit the brakes again and the wheels lock up, you lose it.

When you have a big boat style Caprice Classic 86, it looks megafunk. Many cars without ABS can be stopped without pumping on the brakes, and very easily, but you have to have disks on your front wheels.

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:07 AM

My father used to do that too, but he is a shocking driver fullstop.

I feel better when I drive wow.gif

Dalpura
  • Dalpura

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:53 AM

Haha, I had the same thing happen to me, with my grandmother years and years ago. Until I explains how the ABS breaks worked, we were jerking around, and she was yelling she didn't want to skid out. Maybe just give him a run down of how things work, be polite of course.

I know that one Jay. tounge.gif

Devyl
  • Devyl

Wait; I have a .GIF for that.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:16 AM

Also, pumping the brakes on cars with ABS systems causes more harm than good. A vehicle with ABS, when the pedal is pressed down, causes the brake sensors to make thousands of calibrations and mini pumps per second, and pumping ABS enabled cars disrupts that whole cycle which in the long run could cause a brake problem or total failure (only in rare cases though).

oh yeah, i'm back too.

turbosax05
  • turbosax05

Simply Me

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:05 PM

i think abs is a bunch of bs to b honest, our 97 e-150 has abs, and it doesnt work, period, it caused my mom to wreck her van back in 02, she was pullin into a mcdonald's when she phit the brakes the van slid into the curb, which was like 9-10" tall, blew the driver's tire and RIPPED teh passenger rim and brake disc off the van.
and we still owed $20K on the thing. I have driven it before in snow and i hit the brakes and the abs will work or wont. might work at one intersection but not when the road is worse a mile down the road, and the ford dealer to this day still says there was nothin wrong with the abs, yet they saw the damage to the van.

so i dont trust abs, and neither do my parents, an dthat is my opinon about it.

Devyl
  • Devyl

Wait; I have a .GIF for that.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (turbosax05 @ Jun 17 2005, 20:05)
i think abs is a bunch of bs to b honest, our 97 e-150 has abs, and it doesnt work, period, it caused my mom to wreck her van back in 02, she was pullin into a mcdonald's when she phit the brakes the van slid into the curb, which was like 9-10" tall, blew the driver's tire and RIPPED teh passenger rim and brake disc off the van.
and we still owed $20K on the thing. I have driven it before in snow and i hit the brakes and the abs will work or wont. might work at one intersection but not when the road is worse a mile down the road, and the ford dealer to this day still says there was nothin wrong with the abs, yet they saw the damage to the van.

so i dont trust abs, and neither do my parents, an dthat is my opinon about it.

she was driving in snow? If so, nothing short of studded tires will help in a condition like that...

turbosax05
  • turbosax05

Simply Me

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:57 PM

it was startin to snow heavily, but the entrance was pretty much clear, not even an inch on the road, and it didnt matter the van still wrecked, my mom said she was goin about 10-15 mph, and she hit the brakes and they locked, from what my mom said and a witness walkin to their car saw the wheels lock.

uzer
  • uzer

FeroC9

• United-States

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:46 AM

You seem to have confused ABS with the "stop on a dime miracle hardware". ABS is exactly what it describes, it stops the brakes from locking up. It does not give your tires more traction, it does not make your brakes more efficient in the sense of lesser stopping distance, it does not make you go from 60-0 in 2 ft. If your mom was going too fast, or did not have control of the vehicle, ABS wasn't going to save her.

turbosax05
  • turbosax05

Simply Me

• Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:20 AM

uzer i know what ABS is, but u dont understand what i said THE WHEELS LOCKED UP, as in ABS FAILED TO WORK, but yet the dealer says its fine yet how can my parents or me lock up the front wheels (tires screech and tire marks on road) my old car didnt have abs and it could do the same thing, that is how i feel about abs,

now if it actually would work in an emergency situation, id like it, think it is a great safty feature, but it is so sporadic in operation that how can it be trusted? will it work, very rarely, but when it works it does its job, but 9 times out of 10, i jam on the brakes, i hear the tires lock.

holdenrulz
  • holdenrulz

Trick

• Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:30 AM Edited by holdenrulz, 19 June 2005 - 07:40 AM.

ABS means that under NORMAL braking conditions e.g on a dry road in an emergency it will Increase the Force nessecary to lock the brake on a car. Now in the situation you described there probably Black Ice on the driveway.

So lets repeat YOU CAN STILL LOCK UP THE BRAKES WITH ABS ON sorry but I needed to empasize(sp?) ABS makes it harder to lock up the wheels it's like anti-skid doesn't mean you wont skid it makes it harder to skid

Edit:
Definition
anti-lock [Show phonetics]
adjective [before noun]
describes a type of brake which prevents the uncontrolled sliding of a vehicle by reducing the effects of sudden braking

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)

millermagic
  • millermagic

The CCR Fan

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:53 PM

I pump the brakes, and my car has ABS. I forgot who said it above, but they were right. Pumping the brakes lets you cool them down and lets the air pockets get out. Personally, ABS is the biggest croc of crap they can put on a car. I don't trust it at all. It lightens up on the brake ... hmmm, that sounds like a good idea?!. Ever try driving in snow with ABS? It doesn't let you stop, you just coast. If I didn't loose the brake booster, I'd pull the fuse for the stupid thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users