Technical FAQ (bugs, workarounds, etc)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
217 replies to this topic
muhe
  • muhe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:53 AM

I intsalled GTA:SA and when I entered the game it lagged so I wanted to change graphics, but when I tried to go to Advanced options under Display options, game closes and gives me the send/don't send error report...can any1 help?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 30 June 2008 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE (muhe @ Jun 30 2008, 08:23)
I intsalled GTA:SA and when I entered the game it lagged so I wanted to change graphics, but when I tried to go to Advanced options under Display options, game closes and gives me the send/don't send error report...can any1 help?

Try deleting the gta_sa.set file from the User Files folder.

Also, do you have an integrated Intel graphic card? This problem is, usually, a result of those crappy cards.

DanG323
  • DanG323

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:17 PM

hey people,

my gta has stopped working
it used to play perfectly fine on my vista system
then suddenly it started crashing on the loading screen and telling me "gta.exe has stopped working" as it does

can anyone help me?? confused.gif

gtamodder
  • gtamodder

• Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:41 PM

Try disabling the User Account Control.

Arvline
  • Arvline

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:37 AM

what versons the latest patch i just got it last month and clock it 2 times ( the main missons)

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Arvline @ Sep 23 2008, 14:07)
what versons the latest patch i just got it last month and clock it 2 times ( the main missons)

If you're talking about the official patch released by R*, it is v1.01 and it is only for v1 games.

CLM
  • CLM

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE (Jerry_03 @ Mar 18 2007, 12:59)
well i finally had time to reinstall GTA SA. and as i said earlier, this time i did the full install with the audio tracks and now its working! biggrin.gif

Probably will be my only post on this forum... kind of wonder how many one posts in forums I have out ther... but.. erm.. I bought the 1.0 version at WalMart on the bargan rack.. as space concious as I am I installed limited.. crash on launch... Tried everything under the topics to get this to work, and I think this poster found a very important thing, I uninstalled and did a full including audio track install, now it works.

Makes me kind of wonder why they have the option to not install part of it when not installing part of it breaks it?

Chris

Manboi
  • Manboi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

Here are my current system specs:

2 gig ram
2.2 ghz dual amd
nvidia geforce 8600 (256) (ewww)
HannsG 19" LCD
XP SP3

Every time I click on GTA's icon, the screen goes black and lands back on the desktop, with GTA still running in the task bar. I've tried the tricks that apply to in the main FAQ and posts but have not been able to solve the problem. Might the problem be SP3 or is there some driver running that gives GTA:SA a knock in the crotch? GTA ran perfectly up till it got kicked in the balls. It just decided to play dead. Do I need more analogies?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:10 PM

Since you have a dual core AMD processor, have you tried the AMD Dual Core Optimizer?

unixasas
  • unixasas

GTA SA PRO

• Members

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:27 PM

Hello,
sometimes on the road random cars suddenly start driving backwards, then they turn around and drive forward as usual, what is wrong? This happened without car mods and with whem. Sometimes two cars stick to each other which makes them burn and blow up.
And one more thing, after I go to pause menu, resume game, I hear something like rain, but there is no rain.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (unixasas @ Nov 16 2008, 17:57)
sometimes on the road random cars suddenly start driving backwards, then they turn around and drive forward as usual, what is wrong?

Common problem. Use this online glitch repair tool and your save will return back to normal.

QUOTE (unixasas @ Nov 16 2008, 17:57)
And one more thing, after I go to pause menu, resume game, I hear something like rain, but there is no rain.

Make sure your sound drivers are up-to-date and delete the set file from the User Files folder.

unixasas
  • unixasas

GTA SA PRO

• Members

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

Thanks, it helped with traffic, but the sound sometimes glithes. It's funny when car's do like that:
user posted image

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:16 PM

Tried updating your audio and video drivers? Also, you could try lowering your sound acceleration to Basic or None to see if it helps.

unixasas
  • unixasas

GTA SA PRO

• Members

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:22 PM

Drivers OK, where is sound acceleration setting?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (unixasas @ Nov 17 2008, 01:52)
where is sound acceleration setting?

Start > Run > Type 'dxdiag' > OK > Click on the Sound tab.
Slide the acceleration bar to the left.

unixasas
  • unixasas

GTA SA PRO

• Members

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Thanks man, it also repaired my Winamp smile.gif

unixasas
  • unixasas

GTA SA PRO

• Members

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

I can't make any of gta_sa.exe working, I tried five or six games and cracks and it doesn't work. I press twice, ant it doesn't react. Nothing happening.

dice
  • dice

love_triangle

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

Buy the game and it will work

unixasas
  • unixasas

GTA SA PRO

• Members

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

I had XP installed in one hard disk and it worked. After installing XP into another hdd, the game doesn't start. Is it disk the problem?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (unixasas @ Jan 17 2009, 17:41)
I had XP installed in one hard disk and it worked. After installing XP into another hdd, the game doesn't start. Is it disk the problem?

If you just copied the User Files folder over from your previous installation, you'll need to delete the gta_sa.set file from it.

640509-040147
  • 640509-040147

Coder, Mapper, Re-Texturer, Modeler, Gamer...... LIAR!

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ Jan 17 2009, 20:57)

If you just copied the User Files folder over from your previous installation, you'll need to delete the gta_sa.set file from it.

But in my case, the .set file worked for one or two times after re-install, then I had to rename it, for good. What is the reason for that?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (640509-040147 @ Jan 18 2009, 18:48)

But in my case, the .set file worked for one or two times after re-install, then I had to rename it, for good. What is the reason for that?

For me, the game has never crashed even without deleting the set file after a reinstall of either the game or OS. I did have a minor graphical error though after I updated my drivers. Only then, I had to delete it.

It's totally system dependant. For some the game may work without deleting it, for some it may not. Deleting the file is suggested only to be on the safer side. You're not losing anything anyways (apart from your game settings that get reset) since it's regenerated the next time you start the game.

640509-040147
  • 640509-040147

Coder, Mapper, Re-Texturer, Modeler, Gamer...... LIAR!

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ Jan 18 2009, 20:54)
QUOTE (640509-040147 @ Jan 18 2009, 18:48)

For me, the game has never crashed even without deleting the set file after a reinstall of either the game or OS. I did have a minor graphical error though after I updated my drivers. Only then, I had to delete it.

It's totally system dependant. For some the game may work without deleting it, for some it may not. Deleting the file is suggested only to be on the safer side. You're not losing anything anyways (apart from your game settings that get reset) since it's regenerated the next time you start the game.

My system is just another crappy thingy. LCS wouldn't work if it had a PC Release. suicidal.gif

As for the files, I do not delete them, I just Zip them and delete the original files. That ensures me no loss of data. And the backed up .set file worked some time later. Strange.

Off-topic: Girish, how'd your name change from girishb_86 to just girishb?

$gt. Fletcher
  • $gt. Fletcher

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

I checked all the sticky threads in all the sub-forums and this seemed to be the best thread to post this in - I noticed that in one of the very first missions when Ryder, Big Smoke, Sweet and CJ go to the Cluckin' Bell drive-thru (heh, you know Smoke's infamous display of extreme hunger by what he orders!), they pick up the food and the boxes have a Burger Shot logo on them. I'm not completely sure of this but I looked closely and it appeared to be so.

And a tip that more experienced players might already know: after finishing the often unpleasant The Wrong Side of the Tracks mission don't just abandon the Sanchez you used because it's completely bulletproof - stash it in your Grove Street garage.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE ($gt. Fletcher @ Mar 11 2009, 22:10)
I checked all the sticky threads in all the sub-forums and this seemed to be the best thread to post this in - I noticed that in one of the very first missions when Ryder, Big Smoke, Sweet and CJ go to the Cluckin' Bell drive-thru (heh, you know Smoke's infamous display of extreme hunger by what he orders!), they pick up the food and the boxes have a Burger Shot logo on them. I'm not completely sure of this but I looked closely and it appeared to be so.

That's not a bug; it's a goof up by R*. Not intentional though. Good if you noticed it on your own.

QUOTE ($gt. Fletcher @ Mar 11 2009, 22:10)
And a tip that more experienced players might already know: after finishing the often unpleasant The Wrong Side of the Tracks mission don't just abandon the Sanchez you used because it's completely bulletproof - stash it in your Grove Street garage.

Err, no. The Sanchez loses all its BP/FP/EP/DP properties once you drop off Smoke at his home. There's a way to retain its properties though. You can read about it here.

$gt. Fletcher
  • $gt. Fletcher

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

I know it isn't a bug, but I didn't find a better thread for it and I had an extra gameplay tip which turned out to be false. I just remembered someone saying in a "What's in your garage" thread that they have the Sanchez from that mission, unfortunately I can't find the thread anymore as I wanted to check it out again. Thanks for the heads up though. blush.gif

BobBrown99
  • BobBrown99

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:27 AM

I've read through a lot of posts and topics relating to this, but none of them help me or are relevant. GTA goes through the opening credits etc, but when it's about to open the main menu it crashes ans a message box says: "GTA San Andreas has encountered an error and needs to close" with the error report or cancel option etc. I've tried installing the game twice (yes it's a legit DVD copy) but still no cigar.

My specs are as follows (btw ALL software is legit):
-PC
-Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, SP 3
-Intel®Core™ 2 Duo CPU
-E8400 @ 3.00 GHz
-3.00 GHz, 3.5 GB of RAM
-NVIDIA Graphics Card
-GIGABYTE Gamer HUD

And yes, I've tried disabling my anti-virus software, but to no avail. Please help!!

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:31 AM

Assuming you've updated your video drivers, the only thing that I can suggest here is to run the game in Windows 98 compatibility mode.

Quite a few people have reported the same issue with SP3, so it could be something specific to that service pack. But a few managed to get it working, so I'm not really sure. Your last option would be rolling back to SP2.

BobBrown99
  • BobBrown99

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:38 AM

Just for the record, the compatibility thing didn't work, but thanks anyways biggrin.gif

I think I will roll back to SP2, becuase there are quite a few other relatively 'old' games that don't work on SP3. Why can't Microsoft make things backward compatible?!?? angry.gif

BobBrown99
  • BobBrown99

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:31 AM Edited by BobBrown99, 20 June 2009 - 07:15 AM.

QUOTE (BobBrown99 @ Mar 28 2009, 06:38)
Just for the record, the compatibility thing didn't work, but thanks anyways  biggrin.gif

I think I will roll back to SP2, becuase there are quite a few other relatively 'old' games that don't work on SP3. Why can't Microsoft make things backward compatible?!?? angry.gif

angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif The rollback to SP2 didn't work and just caused me even more pain in that I had to waste about 300MB of my bandwidth download security updates suicidal.gif

Any other ideas?

UPDATE: IT'S WORKING!!!
I found the problem; I installed the program files into a secured hard drive and the program didn't like it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users