Technical FAQ (bugs, workarounds, etc)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
217 replies to this topic
maelstrom
  • maelstrom

[email protected]

• Members

Posted 18 July 2005 - 05:31 PM

linxp, I am curious if you remove your soundcard completely (and disable on-board as well) does it play without lockups?

Of course, this is not a fix at all but it would isolate your sound card as the culprit...

Delonge
  • Delonge

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:34 PM Edited by Delonge, 19 July 2005 - 03:36 PM.

I fixed it!!!

I also had the yellow peds and CJ problem, I have Nvidia FX 5200 or somthin like that... and I downloaded the drivers from HERE
and problem solved!!!

by the way Grat Faq googlesta!! congrats

kerplang
  • kerplang

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:44 AM

One guy found out how to fix his hdd chugging and lagging the game. He ran a benchmark of his C: hard drive where his games are and found out it was 10 times slower than his other hard drive. He moved it and found the game worked much better (later he found out he was using PIO mode, PIO mode is bad period for hdds or cd/dvd drives). Keep in mind that since there's no "loading" screen it has to load everything dynamically as you play.
PIO mode selection is in control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager, and then IDE controllers.

This was my problem too - gta keeps resetting my Hard drive from DMA to pio mode = laggy game. I found a good link to fixing it through the registry HERE

runs fine now wink.gif

tribal2
  • tribal2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:54 PM

i got 2 prob.

1st the game freeze when i ride a bike..(as soon as i m on the seat)
any clue?

2nd the game freeze at screen w/ mission name in yellow:/
(so i can t skip it)

i got same prob w/ intro but a savedgame fix it
thanks for any advice
die.gif rahkstar2.gif

tribal2
  • tribal2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:01 PM

also i have forgot to say that i am running the game with the
classic message error
"GTA_SA.EXE has encountered an error and need to close we are sorry..."

i ALT TAB it and i can play

DeathBunny
  • DeathBunny

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for this massive help guide.

I found another soulition for the save game corruption,

What I did is go and create that registry entry to force GTA SA to save to a spesific directory, I then created a new dir on my C root drive (GTASASAVE) and liked the regisrty to C:\GTASASAVE and just deleted the gta_sa.set file and copied over my save game file from the previous dir that GTA used.

Now it works great.

Regards

DeathBunny

Delonge
  • Delonge

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 July 2005 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Delonge @ Jul 19 2005, 15:34)
I fixed it!!!

I also had the yellow peds and CJ problem, I have Nvidia FX 5200 or somthin like that... and I downloaded the drivers from HERE
and problem solved!!!

by the way Grat Faq googlesta!! congrats

now ive got another problem, i know this is GTA forums, but i havent found any page as good as this one to solve problems... after i downloaded the drivers and fixed my cj and peds problem, i tried to play TLOTR battle for middle earth, and when i start playing my pc crashes and restarts, do u think its because of the drivers??? brfore that it worked just fine

LinXp
  • LinXp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

Hi fren,

At last i can play the game. reformat n reinstall windows.The game actually run. thanks god.
Have playing the game for 4 hour already. not doing any mission yet just
enjoy the ride.

weird thing happend, there no sound except when there a intro clip for every mission. dunno if i disable anything in game.
try inserting the dvd in drive n without it..same thing.

thankyou.

LinXp
  • LinXp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:02 AM

Hi

Problem settle, before this i have sound problem (no sound at all except only conversation between cj at beginning of any mission)
I used SB Live.

Solution:

Change speaker setup to "Quadraphonic speakers"
(Ctrl panel/sounds and audio devices prop/volume/speaker settings/advanced)

Thanks for all help especially for Sound Fixes/Tips. At last i can play the game now
and gonna finish the GTA series.
Bye.

Nvidia driver: 66.93xp
SB Live driver: 5.12.2.252
DX: 9.0b

chopmhal
  • chopmhal

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:08 AM

Good day tounge.gif

i probably have the same F**** problem like every one else, but al the stuff said on this forum didnt work for me for example.
( the problem is gta.sa.exe cant work we have to shut down srry)

I made an extra user file, didnt work
the .set file in my documents, it isnt there.
i tried to alt-tab the error message, but then again, no solution.
i tried the other compatible modes, win98 win2000 etc.
i even was looking for the win blinding file but it asnt there not even alienware ( or what the propper name is biggrin.gif )

can some one please help me iam getting a little frustrated

thnx from holland

Googlesta
  • Googlesta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 August 2005 - 08:02 PM

Note: The FAQ has been updated with path 1.01 info and the 2nd post has the official R* info from the patch readme and FAQ. If you find anything I missed let me know (PM is fine).
Thanks!

-Garrett-
  • -Garrett-

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:21 AM Edited by -Garrett-, 11 August 2005 - 09:20 AM.

Wow, cool news!

I wish the patch wasn't so big though, but I guess it has to be to (I assume) patch main.scm. Gah, download faster blast you!

I wonder about this "640x480" thing for 32MB users though. I'm running quite happily at higher than that, albeit not quite at top speed. But is this patch going to FORCE me to use 640x480? Hm, I think I might back up my install first...

...yeah yeah yeah, just buy a new PC... rolleyes.gif LOL!

Either way, thanks for the news! colgate.gif

EDIT: strange, the only file it seems to have CHANGED is the EXE. It was ~13 MB and it's shrunk to 8.5 MB. Weird. dontgetit.gif

Jee
  • Jee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:55 PM Edited by Jee, 12 August 2005 - 06:51 PM.

QUOTE (Lepard @ Jul 6 2005, 22:33)
I dont know if this would work on anyone's machine but it doesn't hurt to try.

1. First off go to the Windows Update site.
{snip}
8. After restarting verify that you are completely up to date by going to the site again.

Funny you said this way back then.

I have just reinstalled my Windows 2000 with SP4 last month, played GTA SA for a while without any problems, then went to Windows Update only two days ago and updated all that I wanted to update.

Since that time I had crashes that I could only get out of by pressing reset on the front of my PC. I would either get a blue screen (with nothing on it), or a black screen with my monitor going into test recycling mode.
So I cleaned my Ati 9600 Pro graphics card (again), uninstalled my Cats 5.7, reinstalled 5.6, reinstalled DirectX9c both from the file I have and from the DVD.
Nothing worked.

I uninstalled GTA SA from the drive it was on and put it on my other harddrive with more room. I would then run into the "GTA_SA.EXE has encountered an error and need to close we are sorry..." errors only when my DVD wasn't inserted.
I deleted the GTA_SA.SET file (that it?), and would still have the lock ups.

Eventually I just went into my graphics card's options and set all the AA and mipmapping options to High Performance instead of High Quality.

Hey! Presto, I could run the game without crashes !!

Of course, now I just have to try it with patch 1.01 wink.gif

Just tried it with Mipmapping on High Quality and patch 1.01: I could play somewhat further, then a new crash to blue screen without text. Will try with MM on HP.

Ah never mind, I am back to crashes to a blue screen. Will start over. sad.gif

Chazmeister
  • Chazmeister

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:43 PM

Game used to run for a while but crashed after a while of playing (screen freezes, I would have to reset the computer) so I tried installing new drivers for my ATI RADEON 9800 PRO, but these only caused more problems for my computer generally. I went back to the old drivers I think, and found the game wouldn't start at all. I tried reinstalling aswell, but the game still would not start.
So I tried this advice from a member on this forum:

">>8. hit gta_sa.exe and it wont eve'n start

The game seems to remember the old gfx setup...
Here is what I did:
Rename the folder "c:\documents and setting\YOURNAME\own files\GTA San Andreas User Files" (simple append an underscare at the folder name)
The actual name of this path may be wrong, I have german XP and don't remember the correct english path.

After you have renamed the folder start the game. The game will recognize that the settings are missing and will recreated the folder and suitable settings for your new gfx drivers ;-)
Now quit the game.

All you have to do now is copy back your saved games.
I copied the whole renamed folder conted EXCEPT the "gta_sa.set" back into the original location."

I did this, but now when I try to start the game, a window pops up asking me if I want to send an error report to Microsoft about a problem with the gta_sa.exe application. So I thought, i'll just reinstall again and try other things, but when I click uninstall, a window pops up saying

"Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost."
The only option is "Close" which just takes me back to what I was doing.
Someone please try and help, i'm sick and tired of this game being a complete bitch to get running, and the fact that I can't even uninstall it now is ridiculous.
Cheers,
Chaz

Googlesta
  • Googlesta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 13 August 2005 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (Chazmeister @ Aug 12 2005, 14:43)
The game seems to remember the old gfx setup...
Here is what I did:
Rename the folder "c:\documents and setting\YOURNAME\own files\GTA San Andreas User Files" (simple append an underscare at the folder name)
The actual name of this path may be wrong, I have german XP and don't remember the correct english path.

After you have renamed the folder start the game. The game will recognize that the settings are missing and will recreated the folder and suitable settings for your new gfx drivers ;-)
Now quit the game.

Yeah the settings are in that GTA_SA.SET file in that folder. Theres a lot of posts about people requesting replacement for that and how renaming or deleting can fix a lot of issues. I have some links and info in the FAQ on it.

Enterprize
  • Enterprize

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:57 AM Edited by Enterprize, 14 August 2005 - 06:16 AM.

Windows XP SP2
ATI RADEON 9600 128mb (up to date video drivers)
Pentium 4 2.00 ghz
512 mb ram

I exempted the program from windowblinds, and none of the compatability modes worked.

The problem is that after all the movies, it gets to the splash screen with all the GTA SA images and starts fading out. Then it crashes, saying that the program has encountered an error. Help?

Googlesta
  • Googlesta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Enterprize @ Aug 13 2005, 22:57)
Windows XP SP2
ATI RADEON 9600 128mb (up to date video drivers)
Pentium 4 2.00 ghz
512 mb ram

I exempted the program from windowblinds, and none of the compatability modes worked. 

The problem is that after all the movies, it gets to the splash screen with all the GTA SA images and starts fading out. Then it crashes, saying that the program has encountered an error. Help?

Did you install patch?
There's also a large number of suggestions in the FAQ about crashes. Some of them may help.
Also, try disabling windowsblinds entirely just to make sure thats not the problem.

Do you have nforce mobo with realtek onboard sound? Try using realtek sound drivers . (this solution is also suggested in the official R* patch notes)

c6erb
  • c6erb

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2005 - 11:33 AM

I contacted Rockstar Technical Support and they told me that they did not support the game!!!!

Every time I enter the shooting range in Ammu-Nation my PC re-boots itself.

Occasionally I get the BSOD with the message "IRQL_LESS_THAN_EQUAL".

Windows XP Home Edition (5.1 Build 2600)
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8GHz
512 MB RAM

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 August 2005 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (c6erb @ Aug 17 2005, 06:33)
I contacted Rockstar Technical Support and they told me that they did not support the game!!!!

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
512 MB RAM

Be sure all of your PCI devices (game controllers, mouse, most USB plug and play things, mmx, and more) all have their very own identty on your sytem.

Sadly, your ram may be dying confused.gif

EDIT: A quick google about this (since it's botherin me tounge.gif) turned up that there are a couple of game controllers that cause this problem almost always.

foghorn_100
  • foghorn_100

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 August 2005 - 06:43 AM

One photo short on pal version?
I use a ps2 pal version of gtasa in australia. We don't have a save the whale photo op. does anyone know where our last photo is, or is this a bug in this version? whatsthat.gif whatsthat.gif

Googlesta
  • Googlesta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 August 2005 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (c6erb @ Aug 17 2005, 04:33)

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
512 MB RAM

Thats because its Take Two thats doing the support since they are the publishers.
Thier support page is here:
http://www.take2game...x.php?p=support

I would reccomend checking out the info about sound and realtek drivers, especially if you have nforce mobo. Keep in mind that R* themselves reccomend that idea that I have in the FAQ about it.

Foghorn: This is mostly a PC troubleshooting thread but I'll try and answer you about the photo op locations. Check www.gamefaqs.com they have maps and detailed descriptions of all of them. I followed those and found them all. Some are hard to find and it helps to have a helicopter or the jetpack.

Direct link: http://www.gamefaqs....ame/914983.html

KingSix
  • KingSix

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:37 PM

If you played SA 1.0 with the coffee mod and you have saved with this settings you may encouter black screens if you patched the game to 1.1 and are trying to run a cutscene which was normally uncensored. This is because the flag in the main.scm and script.scm is set to uncensord in your savegame setting. The patch obviously doesn't automaticly fix it to censored.

The nomorecoffee website says:
If you have already downloaded the "Hot Coffee" modification, please re-install Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on your computer and then download the patch from this site to disable the "Hot Coffee" modification.

This is only true if you don't have savegames which are coffee modded.

If you still have the hot coffee mod installer you can easily fix this. Reinstall the game, load the coffee modded savegame(s) and run the coffee mod installer, which will ask you to turn the flag back to censored. Do so and then save your game(s). Then you can patch SA to 1.1 and voila, your savegame(s) will work normal.

point-guard
  • point-guard

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:21 AM

i have window xp home edition
version 2002

pentium 4,1.70 GHZ
640mb of ram
geforce fx5200
service pack 2

i've encounter problem like smudged looking roads and buildings..and have other problems like crashing after playing for 10 second..i then came to this site i did those i should..these are ways that i've tried
-download nvidia latest driver
-go to windows update.com and update
-change the setting to the lowest
-changed the monitor to be 16bit
-make the exe compatibility to be 98(i've tried all others)
-change the "NoExecute=OptIn". Change this to NoExecute=AlwaysOff
-made my speaker to be Quadraphonic.
-delete the gta_sa.set

i've not encounter any sound problem thus i did not do anything to change my sound driver..i think i have quite a similar computer with LINXP..my comptuer is dell..i really really wanna play this game..anyone help pleasE?

Googlesta
  • Googlesta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 August 2005 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (point-guard @ Aug 23 2005, 04:21)
i've not encounter any sound problem thus i did not do anything to change my sound driver..i think i have quite a similar computer with LINXP..my comptuer is dell..i really really wanna play this game..anyone help pleasE?

Did you update the GTA SA to the latest versioon?

point-guard
  • point-guard

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:00 PM

not yet..how do i update it?

-Garrett-
  • -Garrett-

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

Download the patch at http://www.nomorehotcoffee.com.

Remember to back up your controls config (default C:\Documents and Settings\User Name Here\GTA San Andreas User Files\gta_sa.set) as I think it resets them otherwise.

magic420
  • magic420

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:01 AM

Hey I have a problem during the game, when i enter in a car or into stores, my screen

freezes with a looping sound, if anyone knows how to fix that probelsm please get

back at me colgate.gif

clarence80
  • clarence80

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:24 AM Edited by clarence80, 02 October 2005 - 08:27 AM.

hi gogglesta and friends.. i hope you guys could help me out with this..

my game used to go fine and suddenly it crashes everytime after the intro..
tried deleting gta_sa.set and it went fine again, but after i tried to go into game again, it crashed after the intro again. could anyone help me with this? below are my specs.

VGA: radeon x800 256mb
Processor: Athlon 64 3000+
Ram: 1gb

please help. thanks

karoloydi
  • karoloydi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:19 PM

Anyone knows why I can't turn vsync on?
I have a radeon 9800 and when I turn left-right while I am driving it is stuttering. Turning vsync on fixes it in most games, but in this game it does nothing. And using the frame limiter is even worse.
I tried editing the stream.ini file and adding the usevsync command in it but it had no difference. Any suggestions?

Googlesta
  • Googlesta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (magic420 @ Sep 7 2005, 19:01)
Hey I have a problem during the game, when i enter in a car or into stores, my screen

freezes with a looping sound, if anyone knows how to fix that probelsm please get

back at me colgate.gif

Update the game to latest ver. Check the FAQ about sound fixes, especially the parts about nforce mobos if thats what you have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users