Photo

Collected Audio Fixes

187 replies to this topic
Gubru
  • Gubru

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

Any fix for sound that lowers it's volume randomly?

Overture
  • Overture

Knight of the damned

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:19 AM Edited by Overture, 22 June 2005 - 02:28 AM.

That.....is odd. Maybe you have a key on your keyboard or mouse that's bound to the volume control?

The usual suspects I guess, check for stuff running in background, drivers etc.

btw, Sent this a few moments ago, let's see the response I get eh?

Hello again,

To let you know, I solved my problems except for one:

There is a bug where rain noise overtakes any other sound effects. They come back when the rain is gone, and I can get the occasional sound out of it while it's happening, but mostly rain kills sound effects.

I have done absolutely everything (testing at each step). I used a fresh XP install, latest drivers, dx9.0b, and c, downgraded the eax.dll that came in the game to 3.0.6.6 (solved my sync problem), nothing else running in the background, no network connection.

I am now convinced this is a software issue, whether or not it was an intended software feature that went awry (I can't remember any rain loud enough to drown out a cap-gun, let alone a micro-SMG), and I have communicated with other players who have the same issue with completely different hardware. At any rate, just to bring it to your attention.

what will they say, I wonder?

Gubru
  • Gubru

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:28 AM

I have heard of other members that have this same problem. I have checked my background programs, and there is nothing that could effect the volume.

I could be driving, and a character in the car with me will be talking normal volume. Then it slowly switches to a whisper, and sometimes even disspapears. It's quite random, and I eventually get my full volumed sound back. It only seems to effect the voices. (Not the Radio stations, though).

maf
  • maf

SA Junkie

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:44 AM

It's a game bug. Hopefully fixed in the upcoming R* patch for SA.

venoms
  • venoms

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:06 AM Edited by venoms, 22 June 2005 - 09:24 AM.

my problem is if I use the drivers from c-media all the cut scens arent synced and if I use the drivers from Realtek I dont get 5.1 sound at all cause I need Xear 3d and I get the rain sound glitch so all outside sound stops when it starts to rain.

what should I do ?

I fixed it by using the drivers from c-media and setting directX accelaration to basic smile.gif

ssdivision
  • ssdivision

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (z00t @ Jun 13 2005, 06:12)
running a SBLive

SoundBlaster Live! (and others) rain sound bug:

I can confirm the SoundBlaster Live! rain bug but it also occurs with an
onboard Realtek ALC-650:

As soon as it starts raining all other sound effects except for the rain itself
vanish (even the menu sounds, "the click"). If you use a vehicle, e.g.
a motorcycle, the sounds somehow (but falsely) reappear. If you use a gun
the sound is distorted (on foot). If the rain ends everything is fine again.
If you drive through weak rain the problem might not be observed. I assume
you do not here the rain then but your vehicle's engine.

The bug is independent from the speaker settings.

It is further independent from the driver version. For example, you can use
more recent Audigy drivers (yes, they are compatible) for the Live! but
the bug remains.

By decreasing the dxdiag sound hardware accelaration to minimum or switching
it off completely the problem does not occur. However, the general sound quality
is then much worse.

Replacing the eax.dll does not help.

Changing the streams.ini does not help.

The problem is independent from the rest of the machine
(no matter if AMD/Intel, ATI/NVidia, Via...).

Under Windows 98 SE the problem does not occur. However, there the sound has
other problems (vanishing motorcycle engine sounds at top speed).

It also occurs with an onboard sound card Realtek ALC-650.

I contacted Rockstar support. They have just suggested to decrease the sound hardware
accelaration but did not confirm that they are working on a patch,

!!! Please, all of you, contact Rockstar support as often as possible with all of your bugs. !!!
!!! This will hopefully convince them to fix the numerous bugs in a patch ASAP. !!![B]

maf
  • maf

SA Junkie

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:52 PM

Sound Blaster Live! here, too, with the 2003 driver package for XP installed. No problems with sound after I dropped the DirectX setting to 'Basic'.

ShinyG
  • ShinyG

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:46 PM

Ideea for guys having the rain problem:

I just bought a 7.1 sound card using the Via Envy 24 sound chip and tried to play San Andreas after installing it and the most recent drivers.

I ran into the same problem as you: no sound except rain and/or radio station. I played around with the card's setting and pinpointed the error to be because of one setting called "Stereo XPander". This setting makes all stereo sounds into surround ones (I used this setting so I can hear mp3 in winamp on all the satelites of my 5.1 sound system).

After disabling "Stereo XPander" it all worked like a charm.

I never had a soundblaster or audigy card and don't know if they have a setting similar to the one on my card, but this might help though...

Overture
  • Overture

Knight of the damned

• Members

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

I also found that if there's mission-central talking in the car (with someone else) then it still plays despite the rain.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the rain drowning sound stuff out was an intended feature that went horribly wrong. No rain could drown out a tek-9 let alone an m4.

maf
  • maf

SA Junkie

• Members

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:49 AM

In the next patch, R* should put in the option to change sound configuration like they had in Vice City. Not everyone has Audigy cards with surround sound, and possibly this is the problem - or one of the reasons - with the sound being screwed up.

WsfWarlord
  • WsfWarlord

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 June 2005 - 04:07 PM

i got a soundblaster live and using the eax.dll trick corrected my problem ^^

Legoguy
  • Legoguy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

I more or less managed to 'fix' my problem with this combination of 'fixes' ("ugly hacks").

I have a laptop with an integrated Intel ICH5 AC'97 chip, which uses "Conexant AC-Link" drivers normally. Here is an analysis of the fixes posted in this thread:
Updating drivers:
Not possible; latest "correct" drivers are from april 2004 (I'll explain "correct" later)
Downgrading eax.dll:
No effect.
Downgrading DirectX:
Not possible; laptop came with 9.0c, as did the OS CDs. With a bit more fooling around I could probably do it, but I don't want to risk the stability of the system.
Disabling hardware acceleration:
This half-fixes it - it rarely stutters but the whole thing skips now (radio stations, cutscenes, etc).

This is what solved my severe stuttering problems:
When I said correct drivers, I meant the drivers intended to work with that specific chip.
I installed the Realtek AC'97 A3.73a drivers, and strangely enough, they actually work even though it's not at all a Realtek chip. The only thing is that it replaces the default windows "volume" icon/application in the system tray, not really that big of a deal I guess. In addition, I downgraded the eax.dll. So, for people with integrated laptop sound, try installing the latest realtek drivers and downgrading eax.dll. Worked for me, more or less.

WsfWarlord
  • WsfWarlord

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:39 AM

okay here's what worked for me:

replace the eax.dll with the 3.0.6.5 ones

also i had a bug with splinter cell chaos theory (the repeatiting sound that got more and more loud when you get close to a tank and other stutterings and bugs like that..) and i had to update my drivers with the right ones witch are here:
http://www.softwarep...ativelive3.html

i used to have the latest sound blaster live driver from creative labs website but it didnt contained audio HQ, this one does.

so maybe the combination of thoses makes it work

(that's for windows XP )

thxgodpcgamingisdying
  • thxgodpcgamingisdying

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:45 PM

specs:
SB Audigy 2zs
3200 xp
2x250GB t7k250s
9700pro
ps/2 keyboard
USB mouse

I'm getting the sporadic crackling sound whenever I'm in GTA:SA or BF2 (except in software mode w/o EAX). The sound happens ONLY if I'm holding down a key;however, it doesn't occur every time I press a key. If I don't press any keys then the crackling doesn't occur. My USB mouse doesn't seem to elicit the crackling for whatever reason. So, I guess I could just stand in one place and hope people walk in my line of fire die.gif

I never get the crackling sound in Unreal 2k4 w/ HW 3d + EAX enabled, so I guess it's like someone mentioned earlier about the EAX dlls being underdeveloped or something. All the people I've chatted w/ who don't have the crackling are using (AC97 or whatever) onboard sound, so go figure. blink.gif

BTW turning down acceleration or any of the other mentioned solutions do not work. And, no, I'm not downgrading DX just to play one stinkin' game.

Good luck to you all

WsfWarlord
  • WsfWarlord

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:40 AM

and replacing your eax.dll doesnt help?

Overture
  • Overture

Knight of the damned

• Members

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:59 PM

thxgodpcgamingisdying: Replacing the eax.dll might help; this isn't a pc-wide replacement, it just replaces one of the files that installed into the game directory.

JonVic
  • JonVic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:27 PM

i have the rain and thunderstorm bug but i see no mention of a problem i have in addition to this, sometimes the subtitles go really quickly with no sound does anyone else get this? What i mean by this is if i am say for example driving in a car and have a passanger and there is a conversation going on then there will be no sound and the subtitles will go so quickly that you have not even got enough time to read them plus you cant hear anything....

maf
  • maf

SA Junkie

• Members

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

Link to eax.dll version 3.0.6.5 - DLL-files.com - eax.dll

Backup your exisiting file located in 'C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas' first before trying this.

angelus101
  • angelus101

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:57 PM

i have the sound dissaperaing or mssing sounds and bad quality i have onyl got 2 speakers which ive heard can be bad cus its set to to 5.1 surround or sumthing but also i have got a soundblaster pci512 which is really old but its better than the AC97 onbaord chipset i got so basically i need a realli old eax dll cus that one 3. wateva one is to ne for mine i can not find a link or nething to an older version plz help

guniu
  • guniu

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:31 PM Edited by guniu, 26 June 2005 - 06:35 PM.

i have sb live! and i tried sometime ago lowering the accel in dxdiag - and that helped me. But what happend next was wired. I had 1001 different errors with system everytime i turned my comp on. It starts like this, next day, after changing that acceleration, when i turned on my comp i saw resolution 600x480(or somethink)
with 16 colors and i couldnt changed that, in hardware menager it shows that its all ok with graphic card, only what i could do was reinstall graphic drivers - arter required reset it was all good, but when i reset my comp once again it start all over again. It was my first spotted problem and how i said it is 1000 more... Firstly i thought that it was virus but nope... Ok then after that graphics problems( i dunno how but it disappeared) i had some registry error that pop up when windows start and it was stopping whole comp and only hard reset helped. Next...let me think..oh it was that usb port just wasnt working where i have internet modem connected...next was that when starting windows some bluescreen shows and then it fast reset and it could even do that 5-8 times and then turn on normally. There was many more, but to that day i have sometimes bluescreen when windows booting and it turns on after second time, or sometimes third normally. I dont know what to do, all this wired thinks are doing since i touched that sound acceleration. And setting it back what it was befor is not helping. But what is more wired that all those problems are so different - can all it be from one directx ? Does anyone have some problem with his system after changing that acceleration ? or is it only me ? it messed up whole my system, i dont know how am i still here. BUT gta works well biggrin.gif

And forgive me for my english...

Gubru
  • Gubru

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:11 AM

Guys, I need the old eax.dll file back - this new one doesn't fix anything, and it just makes all my sounds way quieter.

Dubius Maximus
  • Dubius Maximus

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:34 AM Edited by Dubius Maximus, 27 June 2005 - 03:36 AM.

I used to have audio problems too! The voice-acting audio, the driving, bicycle sounds along with others were missing.
For a day, I uninstalled and reinstalled my drivers. I tried two different versions eax.dlls. No matter what I had tried... it just wouldn't fix a thing.
I own the Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers and have them connected using the out-of-the box 6 CH analog cables AND also with a single coaxial cable for the digital connection. Most of the times, I use digital coax whenever I play games.
So I decided to press a button and switch from Coax to 6 Ch Direct and what do you know... all the "missing" sounds are there. And all that through a simple hit of a button! suicidal.gif

So, for the rest of you using digital connections to your speaker systems... try running this in 6 CH analog and see if it works for you!

It seems that digital sound works fine until it gets to 2.1 . Go any higher than that and some audio gets lost. On my system, at least.

Hope this helps someone!

HP Pavilion 763n Desktop PC
Win XP Home Edition SP 2
1 GB RAM
GeForce 6800 (ForceWare 71.89)
SB Audigy 2 (SB 1.84.55 driver)
Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers

PS. I don't have any on-board sound hardware so I'm not in the same boat as the Nvidia on-board users and their problems.

Kindo
  • Kindo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (Gubru @ Jun 27 2005, 03:11)
Guys, I need the old eax.dll file back - this new one doesn't fix anything, and it just makes all my sounds way quieter.

You should have learned to always back up the original files before replacing them. wink.gif

maf
  • maf

SA Junkie

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:28 PM

Get the original eax.dll 4.0.0.1 file HERE.

Gubru
  • Gubru

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:38 PM

Thanks a bunch! biggrin.gif

thxgodpcgamingisdying
  • thxgodpcgamingisdying

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:55 AM

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. But, yea, I tried the eax "downgrade" and it didn't help. So, anyways, I forgot to mention that my CPU is a Barton 2500+ O/C'd to 2.2Ghz. I tried enabling FSB spread spectrum @ .5 and the crackling does still occur; BUT, the frequency of the crackling has gone WAY, WAY down. In other words, the crackling does not occur, let's say, 20 times a minute, but rather it occurs once every 5 mins, which is acceptable (even though it should never happen). As far as BF2 goes, I can run it w/ EAX (high setting) now without any crackling. cool.gif

Take care all

P.S. I don't wanna be preachy, but if you guys are gonna try something drastic like downgrading DirectX(very low level), imaging your system beforehand, at least the boot partition, is a very good idea. I use Norton Ghost 2003(I've used it hundreds of times on many people's systems -- including mine-- and it works flawlessly). Acronis Trueimage(?) is another great option.

==LusK==
  • ==LusK==

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:09 AM

I am having a problem with only some MP3's after adding my MP3 list to the game. The default radio station tracks work fine, as do about 50% of my personal mp3 list. The other 50% basicly sound like they are skipping). I really don't get it as they are all in MP3 format. I had no problems adding my MP3 list to Vice City, so I don't really get it. Maybe something to do with VBR? I doubt it though, as like I said Vice had no problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not much into Hip Hop whatsthat.gif

Lepard
  • Lepard

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:16 AM

I had terrible sound problems with my Audigy. Here's how i got it completely fixed:

I went to the Creative Auto-update site and downloaded the new drivers and i haven't had any sound problems since. Even if you think or know that you have the newest ones. They also have "patched" drivers that are newer.

http://us.creative.c...dDspLangID=1033

Try that.

QJimbo
  • QJimbo

With DMA/R* from the beginning :)

• Members

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:44 PM

Hey I thought of the EAX trick and didn't get any credit... sad.gif feel free to link to my mirror of the file if you like though ^^

Anyhoo the best thing I've found so far for fixing EAX realted glitches is by disabling it in your soundcards control panel. On my Terratec DMX Xfire this is done quite simply here:
user posted image

Buttoneer
  • Buttoneer

Never Sew A Button Again

• Members

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:08 PM

Yesterday my nForce 2 sound was running fine. Today, having upgraded to the very latest Realtek drivers I find that I get dropouts, pops, etc etc.

Just thought you all ought to know. Latest reference drivers are not always the best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users