Photo

Collected Audio Fixes [PC v1]

170 replies to this topic
Neu_Lyf
  • Neu_Lyf

Live and let live :)

• Members

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:46 PM

hey check the pc toubleshooting forum's pinned thread of the fixes you can find the link in the first or second links

peace (i will seareh it for you but my internet is dangin slow it took me ages to reply) biggrin.gif

stoop
  • stoop

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:52 PM

None of these work for me. The only thing that did work was the Realtek driver "fix". But downgrading from soundstorm to this is not an option. Music, and every game i play sounds terrible! Plus, when i installed the realtek drivers, it crashed GTA for me. Thank god for system restore. Heres hoping for a patch.

z00t
  • z00t

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:39 AM

now Ive done it all

even uninstalling sp2

downgrading to 9.0b

and every combination of all the fixes mentioned here

took me all dayjust to get my system back to normal

PATCH PATCH PATCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad.gif

Overture
  • Overture

Knight of the damned

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:05 AM

Zoot man I finally agree with you.

It's Patchin time. Screw this. We've pulled out just about every possible fix in the book, not bad for a bunch of PC freaks, but the revolution is nigh.

Blood I say, BLOOD!!

devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif

Googlesta
  • Googlesta

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (Skatan @ Jun 14 2005, 23:52)
None of these work for me. The only thing that did work was the Realtek driver "fix". But downgrading from soundstorm to this is not an option. Music, and every game i play sounds terrible! Plus, when i installed the realtek drivers, it crashed GTA for me. Thank god for system restore. Heres hoping for a patch.

The realtek driver thing is only for those who have AC97 sound. Not for true soundstorm. Which is on very very few motherboards, only some nforce1 and some nforce 2 as I recall. Which is unfortunate, its one of the very few solutions that exist that do realtime dolby digital encoding so you can hear all sound out the digital SPDIF output. Music, games, etc.. Which mobo do you have btw?

Oh and Overture: I linked your thread here in my FAQ, thanks

steparker
  • steparker

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:51 AM

I agree, I tried the Realtek drivers as a last resort on my Soundstorm board (Abit NF7-S v2.0), but compared to the official solution (Nvdia drivers) it really did sound comparatively poor, even on a 2.1 speaker setup.

The Realtek drivers did work (solved the only issue I had where the game hangs when changing track on the user soundtrack station), but for how bad they sound I can live without my user tracks.

z00t
  • z00t

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:49 AM

FInally, some vindication. although I am truly sorry it had to be about this game, I was so looking forward to playing it and now it just sucks, all I have done for the past 3 days is tweak my computer

Heres hoping rockstar stops ignoring us soon!

rahkstar2.gif WHERE ARE YOU!

mediaeffects
  • mediaeffects

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:35 PM Edited by mediaeffects, 17 June 2005 - 07:28 PM.

Should I try the mentioned fixes for my sound issue?

My problem is... When driving and playing, the radio the songs or radio in general, sounds like it is skipping or stuttering. I put the game settings to the minimum and it did nothing for it.
I have the..

HP ZD8010 Widescreen laptop
XP PRO
ATI Radeon card 128MB
1GB RAM
P-4 3.0 GHZ
Sound ? (don't know) Says Coexant or something like that.

I haven't had any other problems running the game. Lost sound one time during a mission, but that was it. I have noticed cars driving stupid. They run into each other and crash into poles. Another thing I noticed is that while drivin, if you run into a Taxi, it will seek revenge and try to run you down.

livingzombie
  • livingzombie

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (livingzombie @ Jun 14 2005, 22:05)
QUOTE (Overture @ Jun 14 2005, 12:03)
ALso Zombie, try 1.2 of happy dx uninstaller rather than the 3.4. Link should be above.

Ah thanks. I did try it before and it didn't work but I tried again and it did blink.gif Oh well, it's uninstalled now.

But I'm a little confused about this (sorry about being a complete noob) but could anyone help me as to where I can get DX 9.0B? I looked on the microsoft site but there's loads of them and I tried downloading a few but none of them had an installer or anything!

Edit: Ah nevermind, got it. Didn't fix the problem though sad.gif

I've tried downgrading the EAX and the Direct X, I tried the Emulated drivers fix, I checked my speaker config and tried dowgrading the aceeleration level and none of them stopped the sound from cutting out every now and then. Any ideas?

Edit 2: Ok, I tried compatibility mode and I think that fixed it. I need to test it for a bit longer but I need to get to bed now tounge.gif Thanks everyone!

Hmm, actually it isn't fixed cryani.gif

bloody program made me have to reinstall my soundcard! Still doesn't work. Any ideas anyone?

z00t
  • z00t

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

people driving stupidly, and taxis wanting revenge are normal parts of the game.

from what you say it doesnt sound like you have the thunderstorm/rain sound bug.

my opinion is that none of these fixes work, all they do is distract the person until the rain is over on their machine, or they load a game with no rain at the time, so if I were you just contact rockstar and take2 support and tell them your info, THEN ASK FOR A PATCH FOR ALL THESE PROBLEMS

see some of my otherposts on how to start the thunderstorm on your game and see if you have that bug, if not, sorry I cant help you, the thunderstorm/rain bug is the only problem my system has.

but I feel for you--here comes a few days of pain until you just give up to the f*cked up audio in this game. good luck

livingzombie
  • livingzombie

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:18 PM

Yea, I do have the thunderstorm bug sad.gif I really hope we get a patch soon...

But also sound randomly cuts out even when it's perfect weather. hmm...

Overture
  • Overture

Knight of the damned

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:04 PM

Hey Zoot - I finally managed to replicate that Rain Audio bug. It only really happens if I go into a house or building and come out again into rain. But it fixed itself up after a short while.

Still, shows that it is a software error I guess.

maf
  • maf

SA Junkie

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:47 PM

intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz
512MB DDR333 (PC2700)
WinFast A340 T GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR [Forceware 71.89]
Pioneer 16x DVD-106S
Creative Sound Blaster Live!
TDK MP100 Headphones
Windows XP SP1

===

I fixed the scratchy/bad sound problems on my gta:sa install by using the dxdiag 'Basic' setting for sound acceleration - all the sounds were fine after that. The environment sounds only cut out once, but returned after I got back to home turf. Haven't noticed any problems with thunderstorms/rain, they sound great smile.gif

Overture
  • Overture

Knight of the damned

• Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:00 AM

Long as you're happy bud. I usually like to recommend dropping the accel level as a last resort, but if it's working for you then forget it smile.gif

maf
  • maf

SA Junkie

• Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (Overture @ Jun 19 2005, 07:00)
Long as you're happy bud. I usually like to recommend dropping the accel level as a last resort, but if it's working for you then forget it smile.gif

Well it's easier to change that DX setting than changing drivers. And there is no problem with my drivers. Having it set to Basic hasn't made any negative effect on anything else in the system, and the game runs for hours and hours with no problem.

I'd say it should be a first resort rather than a last resort fix, since it's quick and simple and works.

Walpurgis
  • Walpurgis

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:05 PM

Im getting a sound problem i didnt see a fix for. Im getting a crackling sound problem though out the whole game. only time I ever hear it is when I play GTA:SA and Battlefeild:2 demo.

stoop
  • stoop

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 June 2005 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Googlesta @ Jun 15 2005, 02:11)

The realtek driver thing is only for those who have AC97 sound. Not for true soundstorm. Which is on very very few motherboards, only some nforce1 and some nforce 2 as I recall. Which is unfortunate, its one of the very few solutions that exist that do realtime dolby digital encoding so you can hear all sound out the digital SPDIF output. Music, games, etc.. Which mobo do you have btw?

Oh and Overture: I linked your thread here in my FAQ, thanks

Asus A7N8X-DLX

Overture
  • Overture

Knight of the damned

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 01:49 AM Edited by Overture, 20 June 2005 - 02:11 AM.

Maf - like I said it's what I like to recommend.

It's a preference that any fix that makes your hardware work the way it was designed (and payed for) should be a preference over any method that will steal cycles from your CPU that could be used in the game. If it isn't an issue for you then don't worry about it, its just a P.O.V.

Stay happy sigh.gif

Walpurgis - seeming to be the recent games I would suggest maybe the eax.dll downgrade, since it seems to be causing all sorts of probs with soundcards at the moment.
Let me know how it goes if you try it, and I'll add that problem to the list.

Rannicus
  • Rannicus

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:20 AM

Man I too tried everything to fix those bugs on my pc but nothing works, my problem at first was my pc kept crashing after a few minutes of gameplay and I fixed it by upgrading my realtek drivers (I have an nforce2 chipset). but the fps is really low now, well it was slow before then before the upgrade. All my drivers are updated and still nothing seems to work.

GTA3 AND GTA VICE CITY used to have these settings in the game where you can be able to change the sound settings from direct sound emulation, creative eax etc. That used to fix my problems but they removed it in SA, i think they should add this on their official patch to handle incompatibility issues with soundcards, Can i get a hell yeah.

Anyways, does anyone hear when rahkstar2.gif will release their official patch for this game because I've been waiting for this game for over more than a year so this is really driving me crazie' y'all.

Still there are some lucky s.o.b's that did not have any problem running SA on their pc's like my friends who have slower pc's than mine and it still runs the game smoothly (on lowered settings with a geforce 2 32mb card) that really drives me nuts too.

kharlog
  • kharlog

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:50 PM Edited by kharlog, 20 June 2005 - 06:05 PM.

My menu sounds and shooting etc. action sounds were cracking and they were played only like half of the sound. With my SBLive! 5.1 (sb0060) on winXP switching emulation mode on (1) and WDM/VxD off (0) fixed the problem. I am using winXP default drivers.

[edit] Switching emulation mode on caused subtitle/sound sync problems.. sad.gif Swithing back to WDM... [/edit]

maf
  • maf

SA Junkie

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:18 AM

QUOTE (kharlog @ Jun 20 2005, 17:50)
My menu sounds and shooting etc. action sounds were cracking and they were played only like half of the sound. With my SBLive! 5.1 (sb0060) on winXP switching emulation mode on (1) and WDM/VxD off (0) fixed the problem. I am using winXP default drivers.

[edit] Switching emulation mode on caused subtitle/sound sync problems.. sad.gif Swithing back to WDM... [/edit]

Did u try lowering your DirectX sound acceleration setting, to 'Basic'? That worked for me.

Gubru
  • Gubru

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:24 PM

Any fix for sound that lowers it's volume randomly?

Overture
  • Overture

Knight of the damned

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:19 AM Edited by Overture, 22 June 2005 - 02:28 AM.

That.....is odd. Maybe you have a key on your keyboard or mouse that's bound to the volume control?

The usual suspects I guess, check for stuff running in background, drivers etc.

btw, Sent this a few moments ago, let's see the response I get eh?

Hello again,

To let you know, I solved my problems except for one:

There is a bug where rain noise overtakes any other sound effects. They come back when the rain is gone, and I can get the occasional sound out of it while it's happening, but mostly rain kills sound effects.

I have done absolutely everything (testing at each step). I used a fresh XP install, latest drivers, dx9.0b, and c, downgraded the eax.dll that came in the game to 3.0.6.6 (solved my sync problem), nothing else running in the background, no network connection.

I am now convinced this is a software issue, whether or not it was an intended software feature that went awry (I can't remember any rain loud enough to drown out a cap-gun, let alone a micro-SMG), and I have communicated with other players who have the same issue with completely different hardware. At any rate, just to bring it to your attention.

what will they say, I wonder?

Gubru
  • Gubru

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:28 AM

I have heard of other members that have this same problem. I have checked my background programs, and there is nothing that could effect the volume.

I could be driving, and a character in the car with me will be talking normal volume. Then it slowly switches to a whisper, and sometimes even disspapears. It's quite random, and I eventually get my full volumed sound back. It only seems to effect the voices. (Not the Radio stations, though).

maf
  • maf

SA Junkie

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:44 AM

It's a game bug. Hopefully fixed in the upcoming R* patch for SA.

venoms
  • venoms

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:06 AM Edited by venoms, 22 June 2005 - 09:24 AM.

my problem is if I use the drivers from c-media all the cut scens arent synced and if I use the drivers from Realtek I dont get 5.1 sound at all cause I need Xear 3d and I get the rain sound glitch so all outside sound stops when it starts to rain.

what should I do ?

I fixed it by using the drivers from c-media and setting directX accelaration to basic smile.gif

ssdivision
  • ssdivision

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (z00t @ Jun 13 2005, 06:12)
running a SBLive

SoundBlaster Live! (and others) rain sound bug:

I can confirm the SoundBlaster Live! rain bug but it also occurs with an
onboard Realtek ALC-650:

As soon as it starts raining all other sound effects except for the rain itself
vanish (even the menu sounds, "the click"). If you use a vehicle, e.g.
a motorcycle, the sounds somehow (but falsely) reappear. If you use a gun
the sound is distorted (on foot). If the rain ends everything is fine again.
If you drive through weak rain the problem might not be observed. I assume
you do not here the rain then but your vehicle's engine.

The bug is independent from the speaker settings.

It is further independent from the driver version. For example, you can use
more recent Audigy drivers (yes, they are compatible) for the Live! but
the bug remains.

By decreasing the dxdiag sound hardware accelaration to minimum or switching
it off completely the problem does not occur. However, the general sound quality
is then much worse.

Replacing the eax.dll does not help.

Changing the streams.ini does not help.

The problem is independent from the rest of the machine
(no matter if AMD/Intel, ATI/NVidia, Via...).

Under Windows 98 SE the problem does not occur. However, there the sound has
other problems (vanishing motorcycle engine sounds at top speed).

It also occurs with an onboard sound card Realtek ALC-650.

I contacted Rockstar support. They have just suggested to decrease the sound hardware
accelaration but did not confirm that they are working on a patch,

!!! Please, all of you, contact Rockstar support as often as possible with all of your bugs. !!!
!!! This will hopefully convince them to fix the numerous bugs in a patch ASAP. !!![B]

maf
  • maf

SA Junkie

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:52 PM

Sound Blaster Live! here, too, with the 2003 driver package for XP installed. No problems with sound after I dropped the DirectX setting to 'Basic'.

ShinyG
  • ShinyG

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:46 PM

Ideea for guys having the rain problem:

I just bought a 7.1 sound card using the Via Envy 24 sound chip and tried to play San Andreas after installing it and the most recent drivers.

I ran into the same problem as you: no sound except rain and/or radio station. I played around with the card's setting and pinpointed the error to be because of one setting called "Stereo XPander". This setting makes all stereo sounds into surround ones (I used this setting so I can hear mp3 in winamp on all the satelites of my 5.1 sound system).

After disabling "Stereo XPander" it all worked like a charm.

I never had a soundblaster or audigy card and don't know if they have a setting similar to the one on my card, but this might help though...

Overture
  • Overture

Knight of the damned

• Members

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

I also found that if there's mission-central talking in the car (with someone else) then it still plays despite the rain.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the rain drowning sound stuff out was an intended feature that went horribly wrong. No rain could drown out a tek-9 let alone an m4.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users