» «
Photo

Frame Limiter

57 replies to this topic
qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:20 PM Edited by qda, 10 June 2005 - 07:41 PM.

I want to use the frame limiter to get a more even gaming experience, but when i do it limits it to 25fps

however: i have a pretty good computer and WITHOUT the limiter i get up to 90 fps in less busy areas, but in the countryside sometimes it'll drop down to 30 or 40, which is a pretty big difference.. this 50fps difference is too noticeable, and makes it less enjoyable

so i was wondering if i could lock the framerate to something a little more pleasant than 25.. 25 is noticeably chopppy and if i remember correctly vice city locked at 30, which, when you're talking about such low framerates, is a big improvement

is there a file i can edit to make it lock to 30 or 35

Barguast
  • Barguast

Thy next foe is...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:27 PM

Doesn't the menu have the option to limit the frame rate? I'm sure it did in the previous games... You might also be able to limit to some degree by enabling Vsync (again, assuming the option is available).

Please use the Xbox and PC Chat forum for questions specific to either of those versions smile.gif

Moved to Xbox and PC Chat

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:41 PM

i dont think you read what i asked

i want to INCREASE the limiter FROM 25fps

it limits to 25 fps and i want it to go higher because that's too noticeably low

Barguast
  • Barguast

Thy next foe is...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (qda @ Jun 10 2005, 20:41)
i want to INCREASE the limiter FROM 25fps

Then why did you call the topic 'Frame Limiter'? tounge.gif

Lowering the screen resolution and disabling / reducing some of the graphical elements (again, via the in-game menu) ought to help to increase the frame rate.

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:03 PM Edited by qda, 10 June 2005 - 08:07 PM.

omg you didnt even READ what you just quoted?!

YES THATS RIGHT. i DO want to increase the LIMITER (as in frame limiter) from the default 25 to something a bit higher like 30 fps

i know that being a mod you have to read over the posts fast, but people will assume that my question has been answered because you have a 'MOD' under your name even though it hasn't..

so for anyone still reading:

GTA SAN ANDREAS frame limiter LOCKS the framerate at 25 frames per second

I want to change the limiter to lock it at something slightly HIGHER such as 30 or 35 frames per second, because i know my computer can handle that consistently.

Mopy
  • Mopy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:09 PM Edited by Mopy, 10 June 2005 - 08:12 PM.

lol go easy qda tounge2.gif

Barguast - His FPS is high enough already, but the big jumps from 90 down to 50 are very noticable, hence using the frame limiter to make the play experience smoother, rather than increase the FPS. He wants to know how to lock the frame limiter to keep things stable at 30-35 fps instead of it's standard 25.

I don't have the game yet, but if there's no specific FPS options that come with the frame limiter in options, I'd suggest looking for the games main .cfg file and checking if there's anything in there other than FrameLimiter=ON

Sorry I can't help more. Ask again Monday wink.gif

Barguast
  • Barguast

Thy next foe is...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:09 PM

Can't you do that anyway? I don't have the PC version yet so admitted I won't be too knowledgeable on the subject, but most games tend to allow the user to select the maximum frame rate. I'm pretty sure this option was available in the previous games...

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:12 PM Edited by qda, 10 June 2005 - 08:14 PM.

no, under display options in san andreas, there is only the option to turn the frame limiter ON or OFF

there is no way to select what framerate to lock it at, it just defaults to 25

unless i am missing something

that's why im asking if theres a way to change that, like some .ini or .cfg file...

anyone know??

Mopy
  • Mopy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:15 PM

qda - head to your San Andreas directory in program files, and search for either a game.cfg or a main.cfg or something to that effect. Open it up in a text file and have a look in there to see if you can find anything like FrameLimiterLimit=25 or something to that effect. A ctrl+f for =25 or even just 25 might pull something up, if it does, change it to what you want.

Sorry without looking I can't be more specific, or even guarantee it's there, worth a shot though.

Take Care man, g'luck
Mopy

Death-Speak
  • Death-Speak

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:16 PM

I'd be interested in the answer to this question as well. If anyone knows, fill us in.

DS

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

i looked through all the .dat files as well as most other ones in the \data\ folder of the game and didnt find anything even related

blackbabyjesus
  • blackbabyjesus

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

Had a look around in some files, and I don't think it's possible...

Have you considered keeping the limiter off and turning down a few settings to get an even 70-90 fps? Setting Visual FX Quality to low or medium can give you a big fps boost with not much difference in quality. smile.gif

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:51 PM

no point playing the game at a lower visual quality when your comp can handle max quality at a high framerate at all times.. it would make much more sense to just cap it at 30 or 40

besides, the game has trouble going above 40 at some points even on really good systems, so that wouldnt work as well as theoretically tounge.gif

i just wonder if 25 fps that the frame limiter is set to is at 25 for a SPECIFIC reason (ie, being a port from a slower system, the game engine works ideally at 25fps exactly) or if its some approximation, because if its not exact, i dont see why there wouldnt be SOME sort of relatively easy way to cap it a bit higher

QJimbo
  • QJimbo

With DMA/R* from the beginning :)

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

In the exe one of the values that equal "25" has to be the frame limiter, the hard part is finding which one it is.

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (QJimbo @ Jun 10 2005, 20:55)
In the exe one of the values that equal "25" has to be the frame limiter, the hard part is finding which one it is.

anyone care to experiment? i have no idea how, but i would

QJimbo
  • QJimbo

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:02 PM

Well I imagine it'll be somewhere in the draw routines, checking how many frames have been drawn and limiting it accordingly, though how it averages it out I'm not sure... working through every 25 value and changing with a hex editor would take forever since I expect there are thousands.

edit: clarity.

Mopy
  • Mopy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:04 PM

Best not to mess with the exe, it should be in a config file.

Here's another suggestion for ya. ctrl+f for 30 or =30 in those config files instead. I've been reading that the default may actually be 30 instead of 25. Kinda hard, because there's not much about on the PC version yet.

Also dying to get my hands on it, wanna look for myself more than play the game now tounge2.gif

Can anyone even tell us what the cfg files are called in the SA root or data folder or even give us the contents so we can look through it and see if there's anything in there to spot?

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:09 PM

the cap is 25. ive read it from gta site official reports as well as using FRAPS ingame myself... definitely not 30

i already did a search thru the files for 25 but didnt find anything

QJimbo
  • QJimbo

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:10 PM

The only config file is stream.ini which contains the following:

memory  13500
devkit_memory 13500
vehicles 12
pe_lightchangerate 0.0005
pe_lightingbasecap 0.35
pe_lightingbasemult 0.5
pe_leftx 16
pe_topy  16
pe_rightx 16
pe_bottomy 16
dontbuildpaths

I doubt it'd be in a config file, frame limiter is probably hardcoded since the only config files are to do with the game rather than enginey stuff, besides stream.ini. Remember we had to resort to the VC limit adjuster for changing some stuff? Actually I wonder if we could get the guy who programmed that to help. Not that I'm peticularly fussed I'm quite happy with the frame limiter off seeing as textures work fine now.

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Mopy @ Jun 10 2005, 21:04)
Can anyone even tell us what the cfg files are called in the SA root or data folder or even give us the contents so we can look through it and see if there's anything in there to spot?

the root folder only contains dll and exe files except for one .ini file which has this in it:

CODE
memory  13500
devkit_memory 13500
vehicles 12
pe_lightchangerate 0.0005
pe_lightingbasecap 0.35
pe_lightingbasemult 0.5
pe_leftx 16
pe_topy  16
pe_rightx 16
pe_bottomy 16
dontbuildpaths

the \data\ folder has lots of .dat files, some .ide, one .cfg .zon and .sc and .txt files, but none seem to have anything to do with frame limiter

Mopy
  • Mopy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:14 PM

Strange, I was kinda hoping for a file that contains all the options, much of the time they contain other changable settings that aren't displayed in the game options.

Resolution=800x600
Colour Depth=32 Bit
Texture Detail=HIGH
Dynamic Lighting=ON

That kinda thing. (Above is an example by the way although resolution is generally at the start in most cases)

Mopy
  • Mopy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:16 PM Edited by Mopy, 10 June 2005 - 09:19 PM.

QDA that .cfg file in the data folder sounds promising, if it's the one, it'll contain ^ similar to the above.

edit:: qda sorry

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:30 PM

I'm at work, so I can't get to my copyof the game, but has anyone tried editing the setting file saved in the My Documents > GTA users files/ yet?

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Otter @ Jun 10 2005, 21:30)
I'm at work, so I can't get to my copyof the game, but has anyone tried editing the setting file saved in the My Documents > GTA users files/ yet?

very good suggestion, but asides from the savegames, there only a file called gta_sa.set and nothing useful inside it

here's a sample:

CODE
                         .         S                                                           
            C                
                    A                                         A         X                         W   

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:02 PM

Hmmm, I assumed that the .set would be the game settings.

Anyone try crackin' it open with a hexeditor?

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:19 PM

i opened it in a hex editor and on the right side (where theres usually some values) its all SQUARES... like unknown symbols or some sh*t

if youre still at work i can uplaod you the file and you can have a crack at it

mystra007
  • mystra007

Wannabe Game Developer

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:36 PM

Actually I looked in gta_sa.set. It's in the same folder then your save files. And I had 4 matchs for "25" so you might want to check that file out and edit the values.

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:44 PM Edited by qda, 10 June 2005 - 11:54 PM.

QUOTE (mystra007 @ Jun 10 2005, 23:36)
Actually I looked in gta_sa.set. It's in the same folder then your save files. And I had 4 matchs for "25" so you might want to check that file out and edit the values.

what did you use to 'look' at it?

i dont know what im doing with a hex editor

EDIT: i opened it in a hex editor and i did a 'replace' to replace all 5 occurances of '25' with '35' and nothing... the game still ran at 25fps with the limiter on, and my controls were f*cked up etc..

kionna
  • kionna

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 June 2005 - 12:36 AM

do any of you get texture pop up when you go really fast? with limiter off??

lets see if the gtavc problem is fixed

qda
  • qda

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 June 2005 - 12:40 AM

that's one of the bugs that was fixed apparently

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users