Photo

Performance Tweaks & Bug Fixes

219 replies to this topic
Tank
  • Tank

Gangsta

• None

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:24 PM

This thread is to help you get your installation of GTA San Andreas to run at the best possible speed and also suggest fixes to any bugs you may be experiencing.

Update Your Drivers

Before anything else, you should check you are running the latest drivers for you graphic card. From the list below, follow the link that best suites your PC then download and install the latest drivers.

ATI Graphics Card on Windows XP (Home or Professional)
ATI Graphics Card on Windows 2000
ATI Graphics Card on Windows 98
ATI Graphics Card on Windows XP x64 Edition
ATI Graphics Card on Windows ME
ATI Graphics Card on Windows NT

nVidia Graphics Card on Windows XP (Home or Professional) and Windows 2000]
nVidia Graphics Card on Windows 95, 98 and ME
nVidia Graphics Card on Windows XP x64 Edition
nVidia Graphics Card on Windows NT

Next make sure you are running the latest version of DirectX. The latest version of DirectX is 9.0c. You can find out what version you have installed by clicking Start, then Run, and typing 'dxdiag' and hitting return. After the dialog box has loaded, you should see your version of DirectX shown at the bottom of the list on the first page.

If it does not show DirectX 9.0c, then follow this link to download it, then install.

Bug Fixes

Important: By trying these suggested bug fixes, you do so at your own risk. GTANET or it's members are NOT responsible for damage caused by bug fix suggestions.

Pedestrian Glitch (Thanks to Skyline_man)
Description: If you are using an nVidia FX5200 128 Card with DirectX 9.0c, you may experience pedestrian texture glitches.
Fix: Down-grade to DirectX 9.0b (Click here to download).

Random Reboots with nVidia AC97 Drivers (Thanks to [DMA]Blunted)
Description: If you are using an nVidia chipset with AC97 on-board sound, you may experience random reboots.
Fix: Use official Realtek drivers (Click here to download) instead of the drivers supplied by nVidia.

Cannot Save When Installed On Windows User Account With Period (Thanks to Speedsterworld)
Description: You cannot save your game progress. You are told your save files are corrupt.
Fix: Create a new Windows user without a period (.). Example: "My Name" and not "My.Name" or if you do not wish to create a new Windows user, follow these instructions.

Advanced Options Crash Fix (originally posted by GTA3Freak-2001)

As many of you would know there is a big problem with certain people not being able to access the Advanced Options screen in SA due to 32MB GFX Cards and other low-end cards. The workaround was to request gta_sa.set files from others which contain the desired options, now however Jacob on the forums here has created a program which allows the editing of the options from your desktop thus avoiding the ingame crash.

This fix can be obtained by clicking here:GTASA Advanced Options Fix

Skyline_man
  • Skyline_man

GTA V!!

• Members

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:51 PM Edited by Skyline_man, 08 June 2005 - 08:09 PM.

The game runs with Pedesterians glitch if you are using a FX 5200 128 card, its better to run it with DX 9.0b and not 9.0c as ArturP did that before and the game worked perfectly with him.
I have GeForce FX 5200 128mb and I had pedestrians and textures problem. I downloaded the newest graphic drivers and installed DirectX 9.0b and it works! I tryed run the game with newest graphic drivers and DirectX 9.0c but it doesn't work. So don't install DirectX 9.0c. For blurring problem you have to change your monitor frequency. I have 75Hz. On my computer it works but I don't what about your computers.

EDIT:here is ArturP topic's link:
http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=194181

Diamond Joe Quimby
  • Diamond Joe Quimby

Square Civilian

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:14 PM

Another thing that can be done is to set the Visual FX setting down to low, you'll get the old GTA3 and VC car shadow effect back instead of real times, but the game will run a lot better.

jacob.
  • jacob.

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:41 PM

What's the safest way to downgrade DirectX? I've read articles on it and they said Microsoft doesn't permit uninstalls of directx and any unnoficial attempt at doing so is a huge risk at totally screwing your computer.

Skyline_man
  • Skyline_man

GTA V!!

• Members

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

!cMc! Jacob: I pmed ArturP asking him how to do so, still waiting for an answer.

and Tank: about saving problems, here is the answer by speedsterworld:
holy sh*t i'm a genius i fixed i, it's an issue witi windows username, go to your C drive, or windows drive, then Documents and settings, and if your username has a PERIOD like .WINDOW or .COMPUTERNAME
then it will be corrupt, make a new user, one that's never been on the computer before, so it wont have a PERIOD, then throw it admin privs if u want , then switch to that user, then run the game save should work

It worked with some people imo smile.gif

source: http://www.gtaforums...c=194121&st=20#

aggrazel
  • aggrazel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

I have found that decreasing my sound accelleration from full to standard has provided me with more stability.

Go to Start -> Run -> dxdiag

Click the sound tab

Change to standard.

kamakaz3
  • kamakaz3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:19 AM

yo, i wonder if its possible to get a patch where they can fix the gamepad controls, by this i mean well on the ps2 version the d-pad was used as 4 seperate buttons, and im thankfull i have 13 buttons on my gamepad, and i still need more.... ohh and for BUGS, the only annoying one is the shadow that is on the ground, if u look it is on ur shoes and on the tires, its somethin not a big deal, but somethin that is stupid and easy to fix im sure, and its funny that the people with Nvidia always have problems...nah hah

sooki
  • sooki

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:58 AM

Could possibly add a section about the game not starting, which can be fixed by deleting/renaming the "gta_sa.set" file in the user directory.

This is also sometimes caused by shall modifications (windows blinds, etc.).

Majuub
  • Majuub

Bull Ant!!!

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 02:30 AM

I was wondering, is a 4x dvd-rw enuff for installation, I plan to use a no cd exe to play cos i hate getting my disks warn out from excessive use.

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 09 June 2005 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (Majuub @ Jun 8 2005, 21:30)
I was wondering, is a 4x dvd-rw enuff for installation, I plan to use a no cd exe to play cos i hate getting my disks warn out from excessive use.

4X is the writing speed of that drive. You should check for the "reading" speed. Anything above or equal to 8x should be fine. smile.gif

[DMA]Blunted
  • [DMA]Blunted

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:22 AM

I'm experaincing random crashes, sometimes they happen ten seconds into the game sometimes it takes ten minutes. I'm using a nvidia 6800 128 on an athlon xp 2400. some people have suggested it is my PSU or it is video card heat, but no other pc games have crasued this so it can't be my PSU and if it was the videocard overheating then the random nature of the crashes wouldn't exist since it would overheat relatively at the same point everytime.

If anyone else experiances this please post your setup and if a fix is found please post it and pm me.

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:24 AM

Well, some people were discussing about random crashes here.

iamh2
  • iamh2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:02 AM

I was having a random crash issue too (only in gta) and i found out it was my sound blaster live! card. There is some driver issue with gta: san andreas and vice city. Go to control panel, adminstrative tools then event veiwer and go to system, look for an error witht the red x beside it that and under the source column it should say system error. Double click on this and if the error code starts with 000000d1 this means the crash was most likely caused by a device driver problem. if this is the case your crash is most likely being caused by your video driver or you sound card driver (but it could be any of your drivers). After changing my video card drivers to no avail I took an old sound card out of another comp and slapped it in and the problem was immediatly solved.

batmanuel
  • batmanuel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:40 AM

Hey my game is restarting my computer too cryani.gif I updated windows and vid drivers and nothing helped. My error is saying The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x100000d1 (0xefd01b00, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xf6ae1b03). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060905-01.dmp. I dont know how to fix it, it only does it on GTA though. If anyone has any info that would be great. thanks

jools1980
  • jools1980

Full Metal Jacka$$

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:44 AM

Look what I've found on Take2' website:

http://www.take2game...asa&section=faq

Does San Andreas run on machines using the GeForce4 MX440 video card?

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas was played on a GeForce4 MX440 during compatibility testing where the game was found to play without problems on the 440 hardware. Compatibility testing recommended settings with a resolution of 800x600x16 with draw distance set to around 1/4 and "details" set to medium for best results with this graphics card.

There were many asking about this, weren't there?

Direct!
  • Direct!

joker, toker, midnight smoker

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:59 AM Edited by DeRCT13, 09 June 2005 - 07:10 AM.

@ all, thnx for posting. I'm sure it'll help when I get my game tommorow smile.gif .

btw, maybe this'll help..

-defrag your HDD
-empty your TEMP folder
-update your drivers.

Wu Masta James
  • Wu Masta James

O.G. Supreme

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:53 PM

Hey just wanted to add a few good sites. If you want to get the latest drivers and modified drivers, goto http://www.guru3d.com . They got performance/quality modified drivers there. I also reccomend downloading RivaTuner or NV Hardpage 2.0 from there also.

jools1980
  • jools1980

Full Metal Jacka$$

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:24 PM Edited by jools1980, 09 June 2005 - 03:29 PM.

This could be kinda OT, and I apologize if it is. ATI just released the latest version of their drivers, Catalyst 5.6. Although GTASA specific fixes are not listed in the drivers' documentation, sometimes a new driver is just what it takes to sort many issues out. Cross your fingers and try the new drivers, my fellows ATI owners.

direct link to the driver (wi2k/winxp, control center version) - http://www2.ati.com/...m_enu_23864.exe
drivers page - https://support.ati.....asp?deptID=894
home page - http://www.ati.com

y2kcrazyjoker
  • y2kcrazyjoker

Killin' Kevin

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:50 PM

I can't even install the nvidia drivers you posted up there. Running the 71.89 update gives me the following error during installation:

"The NVIDIA Setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit."

My machine looks like this:

Windows XP Media Center Edition
P4, 3.2 GHZ with H/T
1024 MB DDR SDRAM
nvidia GeForce FX Go5700, 128 MB

Punde
  • Punde

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:54 PM

For everyone who suffers from SA and Windows (XP) crashing after some missions (OG Loc and "that forklift national guard thingy" especially) or otherwise at random points, and have nForce2 motherboards, this is what helped me:

I uninstalled the nForce sound driver, and installed ac '97 drivers from Realtek. Hasn't crashed ever since I did that. colgate.gif

My setup: AMD xp2800+, 512mb DDR, asus A7N8X-X motherboard

Hope this helps peeps.

Rufus
  • Rufus

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:47 PM

Im experiencing a problem with sound. It doesn't seem to play in 5.1, it just plays 2.1.

HKB
  • HKB

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:49 PM

MUHAHA... thanks for reminding me about drivers... i have never thought about updating mine... but now i have done it..... and it is awesome... befor i couldt MAX run VC in 1152x864 ... now i run at 1280x1024 and it loads textures faster than before... cookie.gif cookie.gif

Donald Rack
  • Donald Rack

So say good night to the bad guy!

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:27 PM

I keep lagging at some parts, even after turning down settings. Usually during missions. confused.gif

Veg
  • Veg

Bulletproof

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Donald Rack @ Jun 9 2005, 20:27)
I keep lagging at some parts, even after turning down settings. Usually during missions. confused.gif

Exact the same Problem here... using a ATI Radeon 9800 XT
Doom3 runs fine with full details with 50fps o.O

BuggyMan
  • BuggyMan

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:07 PM

Hello Guys!
I have some Problem with my GTA SA
I dont see Texture from all people in the world
AMD64 3500+
2048MB DDR
Radeon X800XT = ATI Catalyst 5.6
Windows XP Home SP2
Here is a Screen from the Game
LINK NOT VALID
Thx

P.S sry for my bad english rahkstar2.gif

Morty.
  • Morty.

-Norwegian Psycho-

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:32 PM

Just trying to sort out the problems before I get the game on Saturday...

My specs:
MB: Asus A7V333
CPU: AMD Athlon XP2400+ 2.0 GHz
GFX: Asus V8420 GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB DDR (nVidia, updated with the latest 71.89 drivers)
RAM: TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 512MB
DirectX: 9.0c

What are the problems I might encounter, and how do I solve them? tounge.gif

DocMenach
  • DocMenach

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:33 PM Edited by DocMenach, 09 June 2005 - 10:36 PM.

y2kcrazyjoker: You can't use the regular Geforce drivers on your laptop. You will have to use drivers supplied by your laptop manufacturer.

Morty84: According to my crystal ball.... Damn, crystal ball is in the shop, I guess I can't tell what problems you are going to have and you'll just have to wait until you get the game and try it out. sarcasm.gif

Hmmm.... with all of these issues with specific hardware (Geforce 6200, Nforce2 chipsets, Soundblaster)) it seems as if Rockstar didnt do such a good job of playtesting the game on a WIDE variety of hardware before releasing it.

Morty.
  • Morty.

-Norwegian Psycho-

• Members

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (DocMenach @ Jun 9 2005, 23:33)
Morty84: According to my crystal ball.... Damn, crystal ball is in the shop, I guess I can't tell what problems you are going to have and you'll just have to wait until you get the game and try it out. sarcasm.gif

Fair enough, at least I have a place to find my specs in case I need them... smile.gif

y2kcrazyjoker
  • y2kcrazyjoker

Killin' Kevin

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (DocMenach @ Jun 9 2005, 17:33)
y2kcrazyjoker: You can't use the regular Geforce drivers on your laptop. You will have to use drivers supplied by your laptop manufacturer.

Ah, thanks. Does it seem odd to you, though, that those drivers on HP's site have not been updated since late 2003 (although I got my laptop July 2004)?

Hubuchu
  • Hubuchu

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:26 AM

Hello, I haven't searched the board through and through but I think this should be the thread to post in;

I have a few "bugs" or of sorts, first off the SFX;
I don't know if it's mission-related(I'm stuck on the same mission confused.gif ) or whatever seems to be the problem.
Suddenly the SFX goes silent, Radio still going and all.
Checked the menu and options but there's no "sound" from moving around in the menues either,
Anyone had a similar problem?

I'm using an onboard soundcard but haven't had any problem with Any other games so I somewhat doubt that's the problem.

Otherwise I'm running with severe crappy graphics and seemingly choppy graphics physics, perhaps that's the way it's supposed to be or is there some kind of way to tweak this game into "smoother" but at the same time keep the performance high?

Anycase, the sound is what's bugging me, seems to occur when I click past dialogue, or that's my theory atleast.

Thanks for any answers, I've checked all drivers possible and DirectX and so on and so forth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users