Photo

Help! Reflection Problems

3 replies to this topic
tommygun1
  • tommygun1

The Old Don

• Members

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:39 AM

Well, I used to do this all the time, but I took a bit of a break from playing or modding VC for about a year. Now I"m relearning everything. Basically I add reflections via Zmod and the cars won't load in VC. I do the following:
1. Add the chrome file of choice (via txd workshop) to the txd
2. Put the txd and dff in there own folder in Zmod folder, with all textures exported as Targa files in the same folder.
3. Using Material Editor I add the new reflection to all the files I want to use it on.
4. Export as Vice City dff and replace the old one.

After all of this the game will run but the car won't show up in game or if its in a garage it won't open.
I know this is mentioned in the above sticky, but it doesn't really say what solves the problem as I do believe I have the "speca" reflections. On the ones that already have reflections, I'm merely trying to add reflections to different parts of the car, (the Grand Marquis stationwagon vehicle mod that only has reflection on the chrome pieces.) I can get the car's to load with stock reflection or none at all (via exporting as GTA3 file) but not when I export as Vice City. Will export as mafia fix this problem? If so how DO I reflag the dummies. Does anybody have the name of the reflection adding tool mentioned in the sticky above. I'm really getting back into this, and I was having a lot of success until I ran into this, Please Help!!!!

-Tommygun

P.S. I tryed using the search tool, but the server must be conjested because nothing loaded for a while when I searched. When it did load, I was faced with a lot of irrelevent threads that prolly didnt' have much to do with my problem.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:35 AM

I can get the car's to load with stock reflection or none at all (via exporting as GTA3 file) but not when I export as Vice City. Will export as mafia fix this problem?

Exporting as mafia wont help your situation. but i do have a solution, that im 99% sure will fix your problem.

1. load vehicle into zmodeler
2. press "show all" to turn on every object in the scene
3. select *every* object
4. with every object selected, go to faces mode
5. select every face on every object (drag the marquee around all the faces)
6. go to the attributes for said faces (Edit -> Attributes, or Ctrl-A)
7. go to the "misc" tab
8. UNcheck "Don't blend textures" and "High Blending" - they can cause models to freeze for vice city, and for me, they always do.
9. hit OK to close the attribute editor
10. export and try again.

High blending sets a materials specular level to 100, and Don't blend textures, sets it to 0, when you export a dff. This was used in gta3, when the specular levels, actually controlled the reflection amount ingame, not so for vice anymore. Oleg REALLY needs to update the filter for zmod 2, because his current one is, to put it nicely, crap.

tommygun1
  • tommygun1

The Old Don

• Members

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:04 AM

Hey thx for the quick response, now, let me first say that I'm pretty much a noob to Zmod, I never learned much more than just adding reflections with the last iteration of Zmod. I get everything you say except for the part about selecting everything in faces mode, I assume you mean the button 3 to the left of the material editor., when I do click that how do I change the marque so that I can select every face. Basically give me an idiot's guide to step 5. Thx again for helping.

-Tommygun

tommygun1
  • tommygun1

The Old Don

• Members

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:10 AM

Well I've tried it a little and I still can't seem to get it to work. But I don't think I"m doing step 5 right still. BTW thx for adding that to the tutorial. Should help some people with my problem if they do it right. lol.

Thx again

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users