Large image fitting?

9 replies to this topic
Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:26 PM

Now and then people posts huge images, so the site basically f*cks up, meaning that a bar below appears.

I don't want to scroll that way.

Suggestion;

Make a javascript that finds the size of the browser window and if the image is larger than that ( so it can't fit, meaning of course it has to subtract the navigation bar and such ), the image will be automaticly fitted by being added the following attributes;

HTML
width="x" height="y"

And also so the user can click on it and it automaticly becomes larger...

For an example of this;

http://img277.echo.c...=desktop1do.jpg
No, I am not trying to promote my desktop, I am just trying to give it as example...

So?

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:29 PM

This is a good idea, especially for people like me; uses dialup. If this suggestion is taken into account and actually placed in this will help me and many other dialup users to be able to view the page without having to sit and wait for the page to load because everytime a little bit loads the bar moves, therefore the bar moving further down. Good idea Svip! - Luke.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (Luke2004 @ Jun 3 2005, 00:29)
This is a good idea, especially for people like me; uses dialup. If this suggestion is taken into account and actually placed in this will help me and many other dialup users to be able to view the page without having to sit and wait for the page to load because everytime a little bit loads the bar moves, therefore the bar moving further down. Good idea Svip! - Luke.

Errr...

I don't think it will have that effect... yet.

If it does what I want it to, it does download the entire image at first.

But perhaps we could make it so the javascript grabs the height/width/size of the image in question, and not the whole image, perhaps given by a PHP script.

Then a text appears instead if the image is very large;

"Click here to view this image"

I am not very good at javascript, so I wouldn't know. But I know that you can in PHP... get size and width/height.

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (Svip @ Jun 2 2005, 23:14)
I am not very good at javascript, so I wouldn't know. But I know that you can in PHP... get size and width/height.

My only issue there is that handling images with PHP probably takes up quite some memory and CPU, and we wouldn't want to add anymore stress to this incredibly stressed server.

Other than that, not a bad idea I suppose.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 June 2005 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (Smithers @ Jun 3 2005, 01:50)
QUOTE (Svip @ Jun 2 2005, 23:14)

My only issue there is that handling images with PHP probably takes up quite some memory and CPU, and we wouldn't want to add anymore stress to this incredibly stressed server.

Other than that, not a bad idea I suppose.

Suppose the PHP was on another server?

Snow Racer
  • Snow Racer

Member Title

• Feroci Racing
  • Norway

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:40 PM

GD Library will take bandwagon here so why not do this in links?

some one posted big pic and forum auto edit to teh link if image was bigger 800 width

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

Could be possible too.

That would not be hard.

/me thinks...

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:21 PM

You mean use something like imageshack does when it's handling large images? - Luke.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 04 June 2005 - 02:38 PM

Meh, I find it annoying, so I don't do it.
I either paste the link, or shrink the image.
When it comes to other people pasting huge pictures, I won't read a page if I have to scroll sideways back and forth for ten minutes. Firefox's prefbar extension lets you stop images from loading, so I usually just click that option and refresh.

The only time scrolling sideways is a problem is when it's a line of text with no spaces, there is no way around that and I have to just skip those pages.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 05 June 2005 - 12:05 AM

Adding on to Svip's suggestion, because he left the height variable the same, but changed the width variable. In my opinion, it should be proportioned. Any images larger than 800x600 are instantly reduced in size so that they're within the limit but still proportioned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users