Photo

gamespy is garbage

13 replies to this topic
Gela
  • Gela

Avatar made by ME using pivot stick animator

• Members

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:28 PM

wtf... im trying to play area 51 but when i get to the part where i ahve to connect to gamespy it gets stuck.. it worked for 2 days.. and even when it worked it always took like 3 tries to log on to the gamespy network..

Also, why in the hEELL!!! is ther no password feature? anyone can use any name they want... i had a guy using my name the other day.. wtf.. so EVERY game powered by gamespy has crummy online servers..(exept aao)! I hate it i hate game spy...

lets talk about game spy's website for a moment > why the hell do you have to pay to download stuff from their site? hmm? they want you to pay to download the same stuff you can get from filefront? and if u dont pay then you get to wait 40 minutes for a 1 mb download just to end up getting an error...

game spy ruins games with their cheap ass crap. So where does all the money they earn go? certinly not to support their servers... i mean area 51 alien.gif is by all means not a popular game it has 100 players at the most playing at one time and thats noting compared to what socom gets (30000) so why not drop a buck and stop being so damn cheap and crummy?

So this is it what can i say i hate gamespy and i cant play area 51 rite now.. and i would bitch about this on their forums but you probably have to pay them in order to post there. DId i mention i hate game spy? angry.gif

{AmU}Griffle
  • {AmU}Griffle

AmU Clan Leader

• Members

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:12 AM

I have this same f*cking problem too. Sometimes I forgot all about that website, when I sign up there again it wastes my freaking time devil.gif . I guess you're right about all of that.

Jordan
  • Jordan

Boss

• Members

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:56 AM

As a person that has been with IGN and GameSpy for two years, I am sorry for the trouble you are having.

The reason why GameSpy has subscriptions is because there is a HUGE amount of people trying to use their content and they can't cater to all of them at the same time and make money at the same time. Sure, you can go other places to get the files. So why don't you?

Gela
  • Gela

• Members

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:03 AM

i go to filefront

AlianAnt
  • AlianAnt

For those about to rock!

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:37 AM

Filefront is soooooooo much better then Gamespy. The only reason anyone should even think about useing Gamespy is for exclusive footage like what they did with HL2.

Warlord.
  • Warlord.

:O

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:56 PM

Gsmespy sucks ass. I tried it about two times and it was way too crappy for me so I gave up and went over to Filefront. Filefront owns Gamespy in my opinion.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:12 PM

For downloads, FileFront and Gamershell are ten times better.

Hurricane5
  • Hurricane5

Abgoosht Forever

• Members

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:49 PM

Lets see here...

I agree on part that a lot of people cannot afford a subscription to the Gamespy network, but you have to look at where they are coming from.

They have millions wanting to download from their servers, all the time... This is not cheap.

And I'm sure, when Gamespy first was created, they didn't have millions to pay so people could download. So, they created this stucture, where you have the option to support them from the goodness of your heart, and get a little something back.

I agree, that sometimes when it is flooded, or when a download has an error, it can get annoying, but please think about both situations before you say what you say.

donald4444
  • donald4444

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:17 PM

I actually likes Gamespy, you can download your videos in about 640x320 and it dosenīt cost you one bit.
But on IGN for example, you have to be paying a membership to download big videos.

By the way, d8cam19/Jordan I really likes your PlanetGTA webside. biggrin.gif

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:03 PM

You must be new....not that I'm calling you a newbie.
Gamespy use to be worth a damn back in the day. FilePlanet was completely free the only thing you had to do was wait in a queue which use usually really quick because they had a ton of mirrors. Hell you should to be able to avoid the web links to download and just go straight to the FTP mirrors and download it from there. Back when I was heavy into UT I used an FTP client to leech a UT folder over night.
GameSpy's game browser was great as well. Very quick to start up, quick searching, easy to create custom filters and the IRC chat was part of the program but in a way seperate in that you had to tell it "ok connect me to the IRC chat room for Gamespy"

Then all hell broke loose and GameSpy, FilePlanet and everyone and everything that was/is apart of it turned to pure sh*t.
FilePlanet required atleast a free membership to download anything, which for a while still wasn't too bad, but then quickly it started to take 30-60mins just to download a simple freakin' JPG image for a wallpaper. The speeds are iffy now, you might get 100k/s, you might get 200k/s or you might (and usually do) get 50k/s...and this is if you're lucky. Then you have to hope the file is worth your time waiting for, even if it's exactly what you need (like an updater) you have to hope it F'ing works....many times I downloaded something 3 times from 3 different mirrors and each time the files was FUBAR and I heard from others that downloaded the same from different mirrors and even one as a subscription membership and it was still FUBAR.
GameSpy game browser now is pure crap. Oooh it's flashing. Ooooh it's skinable. Uh-oh it has less browsing features. Uh-oh it's slow as hell loading. Uh-oh IT HAS ADS THAT COME UP EVERY 5MINS....so by the time you get through loading the list and setting any filters it's time for another freakin' ad that you have to wait 1-2mins for which by that time the list could have dramaticly changed basicly making all that time you spent uploading the list and setting filters F'ing useless.

The alternatives:
* FileFront - great site, I still like the original design they had the second one wasn't too bad but I found it hard to move around in and the newest one they are using now is much much better. The only time I've ever had to wait in a queue for a file was when a new version of EOD (BF42 mod) came out, but even then the wait was maybe 5-10mins and to this day it was still worth the wait. The speeds are always true at up to 100k/s just like they say, in fact there have been times I've gotten things a good bit faster than 100k/s for one reason or another. Hell on Christmas, in the past I'm not sure if they still do it, for that day they uncap the freebie download limits because I was downloading at an easy 300-400k/s for a 800MB file and it was constant.

* FileShack - another great site, nice and easy to nav web design. They do require atleast a free membership but there is no waiting and you will get files at 100k/s easily and here again sometimes a bit faster but not by much. Here again, I personally have hardly ever had to wait but for when a long awaited mod came out and it was still a short wait.

* 3DGamers - yet another great site. Super fast downloads, usually, I'm talking an easy 500-600k/s is possible. The downside is that they don't host/mirror unneeded files like mods and wallpapers and so forth. If you need a demo, game patches or maybe a game's official trailer this is the site to get it from. The only other downside is that there are many times one of it's mirrors is down for one reason or another, usually because they are at max connections or bandwidth limits maxed out, but other than that even the non-USA mirrors are still pretty fast and usually able to upload the file to you.

* The All-See Eye - this was a great game browser, before Yahoo inhalted them, so if you can find a version pre-Yahoo and (sorry to say it) a crack for it (not that I'm linking anyone to one not even in PM so don't ask) then you're set. Very easy to use, even with Yahoo's hand in it, and very fast to start up. It sometimes feel like it takes longer to update the game servers compared to the game's own browser but you get better filtering although there are no custom filters. This use to be free, then it was $15-year subscription or $30 for lifetime; now that Yahoo own it's, there is only monthly and yearly type subscriptions with no lifetime option which one of the main reasons it sucks.

* Xfire - completely free, and it has it's own built-in game browser although the filtering system is more limited than what most in-game browsers have. But it's really nice to see where you're friends are playing and are able to join them in the game and on their TeamSpeak2 (TS2) server (as long as you too have TS2 and the server isn't passworded). You can even join your 'friends of friends' in their games and TS2. There is also a recently played list that shows you the 10 servers you recently played on which you can come back and add them to your favorites list. Speaking of favorites there is a 'friends favorites' list you can look at sorted by game that will show you what servers your friends have marked as favorite, although this needs some work because if a friends removes it from his list it still on yours as if it's still there (that reminds me I need to post in their forums about that). And not speaking for forums, if you have any problems or suggestions with Xfire you can go to their forums and make a post and you will usually get a pretty quick reply about it that is usually helpful.

GameSpy sucks this there is no doubt, but it does still have it moments. The last thing GameSpy ever really helped me do was to be able to get a CD Key for Tribes2 when it became a free game....and those CD keys got sucked up really quickly, last I checked there are no more. I think you can still freely download Tribes 1 from there, no subscription BS membership required but you will be waiting until Christmas in the queue for a download slot.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:04 PM

sorry double post
server is still slow

Gela
  • Gela

• Members

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:47 AM

ok gamespy.com is definately garbage

can we bitch about their game servers now? I mean i like americas army online even though its powered by gamespy its still good but EVERY OTHER GAME POWERED BY GAMESPY HAS PIECE OF SH*T CONNECTIONS! on gamespy servers i get booted from the games very often...even though i have cable and a steady connection. PLus i always hear other people saying that the game boots them for no reason. today it took me 10 minutes to connect to game spy... wtf is that!!>??? THEY SHOULD STOP POWERING GAMES!!! WHO AGREES WITH THAT??

Lumberg
  • Lumberg

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 June 2005 - 02:07 AM

Yes Gamespy did used to be worth something but then it went to hell. I can't stand the gamespy program but I do support File Planet. File Planet is a good place to get files if you are willing to pay for a subscription, other wise you can just forget about downloading with out one. I used to use gamespy when 1942 first came out and it wasen't to bad but Gamespy has gone down hill since.

Jordan
  • Jordan

Boss

• Members

Posted 01 June 2005 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE (Hurricane5 @ May 31 2005, 17:49)
Lets see here...

I agree on part that a lot of people cannot afford a subscription to the Gamespy network, but you have to look at where they are coming from.

They have millions wanting to download from their servers, all the time... This is not cheap.

And I'm sure, when Gamespy first was created, they didn't have millions to pay so people could download. So, they created this stucture, where you have the option to support them from the goodness of your heart, and get a little something back.

I agree, that sometimes when it is flooded, or when a download has an error, it can get annoying, but please think about both situations before you say what you say.

Thank you for saying that. You put it perfectly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users