Photo

[TUT]Popart Tutorial

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic
yngve
  • yngve

Jävla Hårdrock.

• Members

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:57 PM Edited by yngve, 31 May 2005 - 08:34 PM.

Popart Tutorial
...for Photoshop.
by yngve.

This will be my first tutorial, (first topic on gtaforums even… what can I say, I’m not big on spam…).

I’ve gotten some PM’s about this topic, on how to create that popart effect.
So I decided to make this little tutorial showing how.

I would just like to say, before anyone asks, that I did NOT figure out how to do this myself, a friend taught me this a couple of years back. I've just improved it some-what.

I know this is simple, but I don’t think it’s obvious, since a number of people have asked me how to do it.

Anyway, this tutorial should be very simple to follow for anyone with just the basic PS knowledge.

You will first need a LARGE image, a photo should be around 1280x1024 for best result, the bigger, the better. If you want to use a smaller image, like I did in the topic mentioned above, you will have to resize it, don’t worry about the loss in quality, since you are going to use the “stamp”-filter, and that is quite forgiving.

For the best result, the background should preferably be simple. Like a wall or something. The important thing is to choose a image where the person/s and the background color is in contrast to each other. Otherwise it’s easy to get the background to merge with the person. And that’s bad (duh.. ).

When you’ve decided that you will use a image of yourself, your grandmother or a three-headed monkey, you open said image up in Photoshop.

I’ve used a pic of yours truly.

Start with making 3 copies of the background (Ctrl + J). You may not need both of them, but it can be good to do it anyway.

user posted image

Select the top layer, make sure you have black as you foreground color, and white as your background color.

Use the Stamp filter: Filter -> Sketch -> Stamp.

Set Smoothness to 1 and then mess around with the Light/Dark Balance until you think it looks good.

user posted image

As you now may notice, some parts of the picture looks good, and some don’t.

In my example you see that when the head and body looks okay the hand looks to weak, and when the hand looks okay, the rest is to dark.

The solution to this is really simple. Just make one layer where the one part is OK and another layer where the other part is OK. Then just erase the bad parts of the top layer and you should be fine.

user posted image

Hooray.

Make more copies if necessary. Merge down to one layer (Ctrl + E).

You’ll need to make one copy of this layer, but to be on the safe side, make two.

Now on to the coloring;

You can do this in two ways: the hard one: Use the paint bucket and manually fill every piece of white you find (all colors must be in separate layers). This method is slow, and will make baby jesus cry. So instead, do it the easy way:

Select the “Magic Wand Tool” (press “W”).

Change the settings to this:

user posted image

Click on something white, and whoop-dee-doo, all the white should be selected. Press delete.

It’s should look like this:

user posted image

Create a New Layer UNDER the layer that you worked on until now. Now you can just use the paintbrush to fill the colors you want:

user posted image

user posted image

The color I’ve used is #F6BEA5.

Now repeat this until you have all the colors you want for the picture.

Note: the colors must be in separate layers. One layer for red, another for blue, and so on.

user posted image

When you are done with the coloring, select a color layer and go to Filters -> Pixlate -> Color Halftone

Use these settings:

user posted image

Now apply this to all color layers.

Done!

user posted image

A good font to go with these images are Masked Marvel.

Hope you like this. Any comments are appreciated.

/yngve

DiVaio
  • DiVaio

• Members

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:09 PM

Nice tutorial Yngve, I'll try it out and post the outcome if it's worthy enough.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:27 PM

Very nice tutorial here. - Luke.

Justin
  • Justin

have a cigar

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:17 AM Edited by Fuzzy Juzzy, 29 May 2005 - 07:19 AM.

That's a great tutorial. I love it. smile.gif Well done mate.

Alternative Child
  • Alternative Child

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:51 PM

lol, when you do it like this
http://img215.echo.c...image=114dh.jpg

it looks like its from the "Jefferton Alive" show. lol

Nice tutorial.

yngve
  • yngve

Jävla Hårdrock.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:17 PM Edited by yngve, 30 May 2005 - 10:29 PM.

Thanks for the positive response everyone.

Did you try it out DiVaio? It's basicly down to the quality of the original picture if the result is good or not. Big surprise there.

I think it's a pretty neat effect, made this yesterday (geek-factor 12, I know, but whatever...) :

user posted image

Was thinking for a sig perhaps.

(rough example)
user posted image

Your thoughts?

PCJ.
  • PCJ.

Shaggy

• Members

Posted 30 May 2005 - 11:04 PM

I was messing around with that colour halftone filter a few weeks ago. Gets a decent effect if you can use it right. Nice tutorial.

DiVaio
  • DiVaio

• Members

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:02 PM

Man, I should try photoshop more. I usually use Paintshop, so this sh*t is too hard for me.

please dont click

and this one neither.

dontgetit.gif

I really did everything exactly the same...

yngve
  • yngve

Jävla Hårdrock.

• Members

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:13 PM Edited by yngve, 01 June 2005 - 03:44 PM.

DiVaio, I know exactly what you did wrong. You images are to small. Simple as that. If you look at my example, your dots are much larger than mine, we have used the same settings so the dots should be the same size. Why do they differ?

Because I resized this image after I was done to like 50 or 75% of it's original size. Probably 50.

Resize them before you start, and you'll get a better result (like 200% original size), even if its not great, the results are better.

An already huge original image is to prefer.

Edit:

My result with the original image resized to 200%:
user posted image

DiVaio
  • DiVaio

• Members

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:50 AM

Looks really good Yngve, it looks a lot better then my attempt after resizing it first.

GILLmatic
  • GILLmatic

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 May 2007 - 04:23 PM

great work mate really helpful biggrin.gif

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:05 PM Edited by CCPD, 01 June 2007 - 03:01 PM.

Don’t bump 2 year old topic unless you have a question or something useful to say! The topic can be unlocked by a request throug PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users