Photo

Watch?

8 replies to this topic
Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:23 PM

Many people know that on DeviantART they have their 'DeviantWATCH' thingie, where people can keep track of other members.

This could possiblely be added here aswell. Though it will only be posts.

And of course, members can select NOT to be watched.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:21 PM

This is a really bad idea, I think it's wrong to 'spy' or watch on people.
- Luke.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Luke2004 @ May 26 2005, 18:21)
This is a really bad idea, I think it's wrong to 'spy' or watch on people.
- Luke.

Well then you can add yourself to the 'private' list.

It could also be featured in users profile where others can see what users a certain user keeps track of and what users watch him.

I'm all for this idea. It can be called GTAWatch, or something.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

Could you explain in further depth exactly what you mean by "watching" a member. It just sound's odd to me as someone not that familiar with DevArt. You mean just like reviewing their last posts etc.?

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:54 PM

I don't know what Svip's thinking, but I'll add how I think it could work.

You go into a users profile and see all of their information, and somewhere in their profile (doesn't really matter where it's located) there's a button that says 'Watch this member' or something. This member is then added to a list in your profile, and when you click his name it sends you to his profile where you can view his latest posts, etc.

In your profile you will also be able to view the members that are watching you and you can go to their profile and such.

/me likes.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:02 PM

Well, you can already go into their profile and click "Find all posts by this member." so (If I understand correctly,) you mean for this to be like a "Subscribe to this member." type of thing, where you would get an e-mail telling you that someone has posted, and giving you the link to the topic. I wouldn't use it, and I think it would eat up resources, but I'm probably misunderstanding the idea.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (SWEETSAPRIK @ May 26 2005, 20:02)
Well, you can already go into their profile and click "Find all posts by this member." so (If I understand correctly,) you mean for this to be like a "Subscribe to this member." type of thing, where you would get an e-mail telling you that someone has posted, and giving you the link to the topic. I wouldn't use it, and I think it would eat up resources, but I'm probably misunderstanding the idea.

With what I've got in mind, you've hit the nail right on the head. Except we could probably disable the e-mails, and I don't think it would eat up resources because it would just be adding a line of text and a url into the profiles.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:05 PM

Hmm... may I explain how I thought it should be worked out;

A. A person finds a member he would like to watch, if the member has choosen not to allow people to watch him/her, then the button is of course removed and maybe also replaced by the text "The member has choosen not to be watched". When the user selects that member to his/her list, it will be added to a simple table in the database of the forum.

CODE
Table structure ( name: _watchers )
fields - use
id - standard
from - the member who is being watched
to - the member who is watching

B. The member wacthed ( and has choosen to allow people to what him/her ) posts a post. The server will check through the table ( _watchers ) to see if he/she is watched, if not, it will do nothing, however, if there are people watching him/her, the server will add this post data to another table, which keeps track posts on the watching lists.

CODE
Table structure ( name: _watch_msg )
fields - use
id - standard
by - the member making the post
pid - the id of the post, so there can be a link to it
tid - the topic of post where it's posted
torp - a enum checking witheither it is a simple post or a start of a topic
date - the time of the post

C. All the users watching the member, will get a message telling them that this user has posted this and this. Not a popup message as PMs, but a simple notice in the top saying that a member on your watch list has posted. The member can click it, and see all the posts posted by people he is watching, with both date and witheither it is a topic or a post.

Now, there is one thing I am puzzling about. It can be rather fun in the beginning, but in the end, wouldn't you like the ones you have read to disappear?

This can be done, and I know how, it will require that in the table ( _watch_msg ) we will add one more field.

CODE
fields - use
to - the member who the message is delieved to

So when the user says "I've read this sh*t", the row in the table will be deleted. And that way saving diskspace.

However, it will require to make one row for each member watching. Which could take up a lot for members who is being watched by many, however, in the end, when all have read it, there will be nothing left behind, and everybody will be happy.

And lastly, we should allow the bannage of people abusing the watch system, not in form of post bannage ( maybe, depends on the size of the problem ), but a more like; you're not allowed to use this system.

This hack will also required two more fields in the _members table ( saying that we are going to have the bannage feature too ).

CODE
fields - use
private - a boolean field that checks witheither the member wants to be watched or not, default; yes ( or no ? )
banwatch - a boolean field checking if the member is banned from the watch feature

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:15 PM

Or you could paste the links to their profiles in your notepad, or bookmark them, and click "Find all posts by this member".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users