Photo

[Official|REL] illres, illurb, and Black Mesa

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
164 replies to this topic
steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

A subway can always be added later, but for a normal train track (over-/underground mix) on the northern islands, you should get in contact with illy asap for some planning, he's almost convinced to model it. wink.gif

JasonB
  • JasonB

GTA-SA/GTA-VC/GTA3 Modder Extraordinaire

• Members

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:34 PM

I agree that an over-head track that encompasses all of Myriad is of greater importance than an inner-city subway and I think that the train project should become a top-priority for Myriad as it's going to be difficult enough planning it for illcom, we should definately construct the tracks on the northern islands before they are open to the public for lot construction.
I am willing to assist in any way I can with the planning and modelling of the train line/s as this is an idea that I would think would give Myriad a lot of class.

Gforce
  • Gforce

"Segregate and Rearrange" "The Hills"

• Feroci Racing
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:54 PM Edited by Gforce, 10 September 2005 - 02:18 AM.

i agree with the trains on the north island taking priority too.

here are some of my thoughts and idea's on the trains...

i feel that illcom could have an underground system given that there are too many released lots to add an overground railway, with an underground rail system you could also make it a loading interior this would negate any need to define a tunnel system in the water stuff, along with the ability to have a fairly hi poly train\s and underground station's, on some empty lots, you could make the adjoining overland rail network meet near the coast on illcom_c3_r1. on the north west of illcom.

i'm not sure but the san fierro rail network appears to be similar in in the way it works to the airtrain system in VC where the planes take off and land in a set pattern and the airship goes round the downtown area, the only difference being that the train in SF has extra's in the dff and the train sometimes stops or has 1 or 2 carriages, but you can never stop it or get into it, although you can stand on the roof, this would mean you have no control over it and using this in myriad SA could be purely on a decorative purpose.

the other train line however uses 2 different trains and is controlable from defined points on the map. i'm not sure if the spawning of the 2 types of train is random or preset.

if the spawning is preset, with some clever station design along with some tricky path creation the train path could be used for a monrail and any other type of train.
you could have a train arrive at a station as a goods train at one platform and spawn into a monrail at another platform on a higher level on the same path, do a complete circuit of one island and as it arrives back in the station it started at, spawn into an out-going different train entirely going to the next island from another platform albeit at a lower or higher level .

we only seem to have the choice of only 2 trains on one track path and the other train would have to spawn after the player exits the existing train.
you would only be able to completely navigate round the map in one type of train without stopping if the track continued on the same path and did a circuit to wherever and came back in the loop to the same station, i don't know if there is a limit on the size of the train path loop or how many spawn points you could use, but you could get both types of train to go around all island's if the limit is endless, using what would appear to be 2 different train lines.

i have no idea if anyone will understand any of this.

JasonB
  • JasonB

GTA-SA/GTA-VC/GTA3 Modder Extraordinaire

• Members

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:10 AM

i feel that illcom could have an underground system given that there are too many released lots to add an overground railway, with an underground rail system you could also make it a loading interior this would negate any need to define a tunnel system in the water stuff, along with the ability to have a fairly hi poly train\s and underground station's, on some empty lots, you could make the adjoining overland rail network meet near the coast on illcom_c3_r1. on the north west of illcom.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. If I'm right, you think we should either:
*Not have an over-ground track on illcom and have the train line remain underground, but near the north coast of illcom have it pop-up so it is above ground and then go over to the northern islands.
OR
*Have a subway system for illcom, no over-ground tracks for illcom and have a station for the over and underground trains near the northern coasts so that monorail passengers get off and hop on the subway.

Or I could be completely wrong. But I believe having an overground track on illcom is compeltely possible, so long as we keep it away from the centre of the island. We could simply have the track run along the east side of illcom on the 4-lane road and have stops at the north and south ends of illcom. And then the subway comes in and gives people convenient access to the inner areas of illcom and other areas which I have previously outlined.

The tracks and trains assigned to them is still a bit iffy. There are two train.dat files (named train.dat and train2.dat) which contain co-ordinates, more than likely for the path that the main train line follows and the SF tram line. Hopefully we can do something tricky to make the tram enterable and go a bit faster (that thing is slow as hell) and use that for the subway, and use the main train line for the above-ground line. If we decide to go with the monorail we can either try and remove the freight train or remodel it into a monorail train, and have 2 different monorail trains on the same line. Or if we just want a standard train line we could just leave it as is.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:09 PM

I've always thought that if Myriad had a railway, it would run between all the islands at the same level with very shallow slopes, like a real railway. Some parts would need embankments or flyovers, some would be in cuttings or tunnels depending on the local geography. By running around all the islands, there would not need to be any really sharp corners or steep slopes because it could avoid any parts of the islands which were too built up. There would be no need to try and squeeze a railway into a tiny space with stupidly steep hills and sharp corners like Portland in GTA3 did.

This would provide a means of transportation between the islands without driving, flying, sailing or swimming. Stations would be quite far apart (probably one per sector, making four in total) so you could get a decent speed up between each station. It would cross water, allowing some lucky modellers the chance to make imaginative bridge designs. It could use a tunnel to get through the Black Mesa sector...a secret tunnel network inside the mountain could exit into the side of the railway tunnel perhaps. Embankments, flyovers and other urban architecture would carry it across the illurb sector while Necrosis island could have really industrial architecture, a bit like the sidings and docks in San Fierro.

I offered to assist with designing the railway system when it was first seriously proposed about a year ago and my offer still stands. If we make a decent railway above ground, there will be no need for a problematic underground system and there's the sewer system if people want some subterrainean entertainment anyway. tounge.gif

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:04 PM

Also it is possible to make the underground (while is free LOTs)...

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 September 2005 - 05:08 PM

We have thigs underground on lots but things can still go lower so a railway could go under an underground car park.

OG_GhostDog
  • OG_GhostDog

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 08:57 AM Edited by OG_GhostDog, 14 January 2006 - 09:02 AM.

The download link on the first page doesn`t work, pls help me get this islands. I`d really appreciate it. I lost my old hard-disk, got a new one... don`t almost have any mods.... sad.gif pls help me guys

EDIT: Sorry, found it

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:02 AM

In future, don't bump old topics smile.gif

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:22 AM

I don't know why the download isn't working. The MI site is working so it must have been taken down turn.gif

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

Here -kthx

nicholas86
  • nicholas86

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

a question, maybe stupid for i am new to myriad islands...are these the same than northern islands?? if so, when will you begin to construct?? mean to actually do the lots and stuff

that's it, bye tounge.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:03 PM Edited by Cerbera, 19 January 2006 - 05:05 PM.

The Northern Islands are called illRES (North-west) and illURB (North-east). The large mountain in the North-east of illURB is called Black Mesa. The northern islands have had there base land built, which is what the download contains (for GTAVC). The GTASA versions will be prelit before they are released, but they need the railway route constructed across them before this can take place.

I have been developing a 3D draft route with illspirit. He thinks he'll be the person most likely to actually build it and that seems like a good way to ensure that any landscaping (such as embankments or cuttings) the railway uses will be consistant with the landscaping on Black Mesa, the illRES crater, the illURB highway and the islands as a whole.

The basic route across the Northern Islands is already known (it will be the "Idea 06" route). The height changes the landscape requires and join with Necrosis mean we have to create a 3D draft to ensure everything will fit together first time. So far the Northern Islands route seems to be alright and has general support from JasonB (who is co-designing the route) and Illspirit.

As with any major project, the key is patience. smile.gif

spiderman76012
  • spiderman76012

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:03 PM

I can't download this dontgetit.gif

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (spiderman76012 @ Feb 12 2008, 13:03)
I can't download this dontgetit.gif

its also included in the latest 0,69 release so you might try that,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users