• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic
Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ May 16 2005, 03:21)
Well for me its Firefox although today it made me kind of hate it, updating to the latest version reuslted in all my bookmarks, extensions, settings etc. being deleted lol so I am not too happy with it. Other then that its great, I did used to use Advant but once I relised that Firefox could be adapted to my tastes I've been hooked.

Did you check the Profile folder? Something might have gotten a little goofy with it. I've seen cases where a bad extension would cause FF to look like the bookmarks are gone and they really aren't.

<on topic>
Firefox on both my PC and Mac...and if I had a Linux OS running some where, I'd still be using FF there as well

@Svip
Isn't that Lynx?

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:14 PM

No, Lynx sucks. Links is without doubt much better, it displays tables and such much better.

red_porshe
  • red_porshe

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Svip @ May 16 2005, 18:14)
No, Lynx sucks. Links is without doubt much better, it displays tables and such much better.

Is that some sort of linux or unex browser? It reminds me of the really old computers where you had to type loads of stuff to do something simple. I prefer ff. Its fast reliable and theanks to sweetspark i dont have to find the last page i went one.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (red_porshe @ May 16 2005, 12:26)
QUOTE (Svip @ May 16 2005, 18:14)

Is that some sort of linux or unex browser? It reminds me of the really old computers where you had to type loads of stuff to do something simple. I prefer ff. Its fast reliable and theanks to sweetspark i dont have to find the last page i went one.

It's a text based browser.
They have something similiar on Windows as well. (Macs too?)

magical_trevor
  • magical_trevor

Propaganda Inc.

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Waste @ May 16 2005, 18:26)
They have something similiar on Windows as well.

There's something like that on Windows? If so, how did I get to it, I've never noticed it before? Also, this topic has made me see the light, I will be downloading FF later, since I have no reason to stick with IE- not even Windows Update works for me anymore..

parry
  • parry

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:11 PM

Good choice, you get firefox! biggrin.gif Windows update also won't work with me anymore either.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (magical_trevor @ May 16 2005, 13:04)
QUOTE (Waste @ May 16 2005, 18:26)
They have something similiar on Windows as well.

There's something like that on Windows? If so, how did I get to it, I've never noticed it before? Also, this topic has made me see the light, I will be downloading FF later, since I have no reason to stick with IE- not even Windows Update works for me anymore..

You can look on this page and see if there is one: http://browsers.evolt.org/
I know that they exist, just don't what they are called or where to get them.
I figure that page has one on it.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Say hi to your mom for me.

• United-States

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (EmSixTeen @ May 16 2005, 02:33)
QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ May 16 2005, 07:43)
Avant > * by far.  Even though Avant uses the IE engine, I've never had to deal with it crashing or f*cking up like IE.  I'd use Firefox more, but there are still some things about it that irritate the hell out of me.

Maxthon is based on the the IE engine too, but I've never tried it.

I used to use Avant religiously, and Firefox annoyed me with lots of the little things which it missed that Avant had.. Until I found out ways to make those things happen in Firefox, through extensions etc.. I never had a problem with IE, but that's not why I switched - It's just the better browser.

A lot of the little stuff that annoys me can't be fixed through extensions though, AFAIK. Like entering this message, I can't scroll the page up or down without clicking outside the text box; when I enter an img, url, etc. earlier in the text, it always enters it at the end instead of where I put the cursor; a lot of unicode isn't properly recognized and can't be entered into forms; obnoxiously large downloading\option boxes (what am I, blind?); urls aren't bumped in the address bar; and the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong though, I commend FF for giving MS a nice swift kick in the ass which has led to the announcment of IE7. I think MS realizes the importance of getting it right with the next IE now.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:04 PM

Defintely FIREFOX without a doubt, it's safer and makes the internet faster/quicker well it did for me on a 56K Modem anyway. I guess that's just me, but yeah, go with firefox. - Luke.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ May 16 2005, 20:58)
Avant > * by far.  Even though Avant uses the IE engine, I've never had to deal with it crashing or f*cking up like IE.  I'd use Firefox more, but there are still some things about it that irritate the hell out of me.

I used to use Avant religiously, and Firefox annoyed me with lots of the little things which it missed that Avant had.. Until I found out ways to make those things happen in Firefox, through extensions etc.. I never had a problem with IE, but that's not why I switched - It's just the better browser.

A lot of the little stuff that annoys me can't be fixed through extensions though, AFAIK. Like entering this message, I can't scroll the page up or down without clicking outside the text box; when I enter an img, url, etc. earlier in the text, it always enters it at the end instead of where I put the cursor; a lot of unicode isn't properly recognized and can't be entered into forms; obnoxiously large downloading\option boxes (what am I, blind?); urls aren't bumped in the address bar; and the list goes on.

Don't get me wrong though, I commend FF for giving MS a nice swift kick in the ass which has led to the announcment of IE7. I think MS realizes the importance of getting it right with the next IE now.

Pfft@you.

There is an extention that fixes that. Well at least for GTAF.

Have you not yet been in the 'Announcements' forum on this board? If you had, you would notice PraticW's fine GTAF extention, that allows you to do as you just wanted to be able to do.

Please, do check your sources.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Say hi to your mom for me.

• United-States

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Svip @ May 16 2005, 13:16)
QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ May 16 2005, 20:58)

Pfft@you.

There is an extention that fixes that. Well at least for GTAF.

Have you not yet been in the 'Announcements' forum on this board? If you had, you would notice PraticW's fine GTAF extention, that allows you to do as you just wanted to be able to do.

Please, do check your sources.

Listen, you damn firefoxfanboi, I'm well aware of PW's extension as I have it installed, but it doesn't do much good for the rest of the net. And I know all about extensions, but it's not as though I should have to go hunting down extensions for things that should work right by default.

Sure, FF definitely has it's advantages, in which case I'll use it, but I find Avant works well most of the time.

riccbhard
  • riccbhard

---->

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

Firefox. Best there is. Period.

DarkGTA
  • DarkGTA

DarkGTA Has Returned

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:22 PM

Meh.... Maxthon and Firefox are both good.

But, I perfer Firefox

Taxman
  • Taxman

I'm gonna sing the doom song now!

• Members

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:12 AM

Proud Maxthon user here. Runs everything....

Atomic
  • Atomic

teh PC chat rapist....

• Members

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:19 AM

Avant all the way, firefox isnt any better than IE in my opinion.

Wtf is maxthon though?

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Gone Fishin'

• None

Posted 17 May 2005 - 12:51 AM

Opera and Firefox rank about the same for me, with Firefox being just a little bit higher on the scale.
Mozilla follows shortly after, then Maxthor, then in dead last IE.

magical_trevor
  • magical_trevor

Propaganda Inc.

• Members

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:23 PM

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between Mozilla and Firefox? Is Mozilla like Firefox with other things as well, because on the download page it says it has a built in IRC Client, which would be useful.. so, which should I get?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (magical_trevor @ May 17 2005, 11:23)
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between Mozilla and Firefox? Is Mozilla like Firefox with other things as well, because on the download page it says it has a built in IRC Client, which would be useful.. so, which should I get?

I hate to put this way, but it's the only frame of reference I can think of....

Think of Mozilla like Microsoft Office Suite. It's everything in one bundle package.
Web browser, email/newsgroup reader, HTML editor, irc client and so on

Firefox would be like if you install MSWord without everything else included the Office Suite. It's just the Mozilla web browser, nothing more.
On that note, Thunderbird is just the Mozilla email/newsgroup reader and nothing more.

Firefox can have an IRC client with the help of the ChatZilla extension. Not that I've looked but I wouldn't be surprised to see that there is an extension so that it can also be an HTML editor.

Personally for me all I need is a web browser and email cleint, so I use just FF and TB. Mozilla is too bloated for my use. If I need an IRC client, I'll use mIRC it has more of the features that I like plus I've been using it for years.

magical_trevor
  • magical_trevor

Propaganda Inc.

• Members

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:19 PM

Thanks Wolf, I think I'll get ff and chatzilla, since I don't want another email client, because I have to use MS Outlook to sync with my PDA.

loves-secret-agent
  • loves-secret-agent

Suck Ma Plumes

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:34 PM

I use Internet Explorer as, like someone said earlier in the topic, I have had like no errors since using so its find wit me.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (wolf68k @ May 17 2005, 13:14)
Not that I've looked but I wouldn't be surprised to see that there is an extension so that it can also be an HTML editor.

You are right, sir.

Evan05
  • Evan05

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:07 PM

Ever since I've merged from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox I have never considered going back, I cannot stand IE and Firefox is signifcantly faster as Firefox loads text first and then images where IE loads them both at once, as you would all probably know... biggrin.gif

nlitement
  • nlitement

Pare mou mia pipa

• Members

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (loves-secret-agent @ May 17 2005, 20:34)
I use Internet Explorer as, like someone said earlier in the topic, I have had like no errors since using so its find wit me.

Now scan your computer with Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware and some AV software.

Suckers.

Atomic
  • Atomic

teh PC chat rapist....

• Members

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:48 PM

you bump a 2 month old thread for....that? bored.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users