» «
Photo

Writer's Discussion

14 replies to this topic
beanmachine43
  • beanmachine43

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:05 PM Edited by beanmachine43, 14 May 2005 - 11:16 PM.

If this has been said before, I'm sorry. But, if it hasn't here I go...

I think there should be seperate forums within Writer's Discussion:

1. GTA-Grand Theft Auto series-related literature.
2. Stories/Short Stories- These could be seperated into chapters, or not, and are not related with GTA.
3. Poetry- Poems, Haikus, etc.
4. etc- Stuff that doesn't fit in any of these.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:12 PM

Good idea, doubt it'll happen though. Also, there's been nothing on this before. - Luke.

jimmy.
  • jimmy.

?

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:47 PM

I don't think there should be more forums. Writer's Discussion is pretty empty.

beanmachine43
  • beanmachine43

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 May 2005 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (JIMMY12 @ May 14 2005, 23:47)
Writer's Discussion is pretty empty.

That's because people might be scared or too embarrassed to start a new topic. Maybe if we sperated them, people would feel a bit more secure that they actually posted something that belonged there, and people would read it.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:02 AM

But really, it can be posted in the Writer's Discussion anyway. - Luke.

beanmachine43
  • beanmachine43

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:05 AM

You guys have a point, that there's barely anyone in Writer's Discussion. But, what I'm saying is, if you seperated the Writer's Discussion into those sections, then more people would likely come. Also, I've heard someone said weekly/monthly contests could be added to attract more attention.

SloStenRacing
  • SloStenRacing

Crawlin' S-10

• Members

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (beanmachine43 @ May 14 2005, 19:05)
You guys have a point, that there's barely anyone in Writer's Discussion. But, what I'm saying is, if you seperated the Writer's Discussion into those sections, then more people would likely come. Also, I've heard someone said weekly/monthly contests could be added to attract more attention.

That would not make them more likely to come. If they had any desire to get there literature on GTAF then they would post it in the Writer's Forum. Which I might add is more inactive than theannouncements it seems.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Members

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:37 AM

I'm sure a forum that has less than one active topic a day deserves even more forums dedicated to it confused.gif

Chalkstar
  • Chalkstar

QvsQ lab monkey

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:47 AM

I think if people just start using a little "code" in the start of their title would help you to know what it's about. Such as this:

[GTA] = Grand Theft Auto based
[P&P] = Poetry and play (I dunno, had to think of another P word)
[WIP] = Work in Progress
[SS] = Short Story

Make up a list and then put it in a pinned thread or something. That would probably be better then making sub-forums.

vALKYR
  • vALKYR

The Object of Affection.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (Chalkstar2188 @ May 15 2005, 10:47)
I think if people just start using a little "code" in the start of their title would help you to know what it's about. Such as this:

[WIP] = Work in Progress
[SS] = Short Story

Make up a list and then put it in a pinned thread or something. That would probably be better then making sub-forums.

Now that is something which can be done. I'm sure this can be implemented soon smile.gif

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:26 AM

I don't think it needs more sections, you can usually tell by the title and description if it's about GTA, or if it's a poem, etc. I think it needs fewer people bitching about every little thing. There have been writers that could paint a picture with their words in ways that make people like me seem totally illiterate. Writers that could express thoughts and feelings that I have trouble comprehending, and could never even begin to put into words. But lots of the people with such skill and talent still couldn't find correct spelling, or punctuation with a roadmap. That's why editors exist, because spelling and punctuation are the parts of writing that require no talent. I can chuck in some periods, and capitalize a few words, but I can't write anything worth reading.

Don't get me wrong, I cringe at the site of a four foot run-on sentence just as much as the next guy, but if Shakespeare were to post in that forum he'd be told where to use a comma. Of course only after someone told him to stop making redundant and unnecessary statements for dramatic effect.

I think if any change at all should be made it should be making a rule like the one in the graphics section. Something along the lines of "If you can't throw some constructive in with your criticism, then STFU!" There must be people with works to contribute that are just afraid of getting their @ss handed to them. I like reading in there, but I wouldn't post a topic if my life depended on it.

But Opius is right, not a large amount of posting going on in there, maybe a contest of some sort wouldn't be a terrible idea. Meh, whatever, just my two cents.

gta phil gta
  • gta phil gta

BC

• Members

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:12 AM

Simply put, and as has already been stated, the writers forum isn't active enough to warrant any extra forums or sections stemming from it. One is enough.

Extra sections wouldn't make it any more popular or active, it would just make the new sections completely empty. Even if the forum got more active, we'd still only need one section for it.

It's not as though you have to search through tons of new topics to find the one you started reading yesterday - it would most likely still be at the very top. Also, if people don't want to contribute in there, they won't want to contribute in another section with a different name. That will make no difference.

@ Sweet, I'd like to know what you are referring to there though, with people getting their ass handed to them? Most of the replies I see do contain constructive criticism, and I don't recall seeing the majority of replies being general flames at the piece. Usually replies are just people posting that they like it, or, from the more seasoned writers, constructive criticism. I don't see why someone would be scared to post a topic in there, myself.

SloStenRacing
  • SloStenRacing

Crawlin' S-10

• Members

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (vALKYRô @ May 15 2005, 04:25)
QUOTE (Chalkstar2188 @ May 15 2005, 10:47)

[WIP] = Work in Progress
[SS] = Short Story

Now that is something which can be done. I'm sure this can be implemented soon smile.gif

The only problem with that is long titles wink.gif

BrassKnuckles
  • BrassKnuckles

Iconic

• The Precinct

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:44 PM

Uh...what is SWEETSAPRIK talking about? Most, if not all, of the replies in Writer's Discussion go along the lines of "Good story lol." Certainly that's not constructive criticism, but nobody is getting their asses handed to them.

And no to the multiple forums. I do like the tag idea.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:08 PM

No, you're both right, I don't think I've seen anyone flame a writer. Getting their "ass handed to them" was the wrong way to word it. The majority of posts are positive, almost as if most people say nothing unless they have something nice to say. I just mean that the majority of the posts that are negative are in reference to errors. Granted, if most of the work is misspelled, or there is no punctuation at all, then something needs to be said. And don't get me wrong, when someone says that there are a few errors, then they are usually sugarcoating it.

I'm only saying that as a bystander, someone who has no vested interest in the reaction the stories get, I'd like to see more "I liked it, and here's why." or even "I hated it, and here's why." type of opinions coming along with the "Fix this." type. The "why" is the important part. I can't imagine how disappointing it would be to write something and get a reply that talks about spelling, or punctuation, but not about content. Especially when your work might not get that many replies.

It just seems to me like one of the sections that I have nothing to add to besides negative, or useless input, like "You spelled ____ wrong." or "Good story" (Which, like Brass said, isn't very constructive.) so I don't bother. I mean the mistakes I see can usually be fixed by running it through a spellchecker, and that isn't the hard part of writing. I'd have a chance at getting all my spelling and punctuation right (Well, sort of.) but I'd have no chance at coming up with an imaginative story.

Maybe it's because posts that point out errors, but don't give an opinion on the story itself just irk me, I don't know. I've only started following that section within the last month or so, maybe I got the wrong impression. If so then it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. blush.gif I'll just shut my pie-hole.
(EDIT)
Fixed a typo, how ironic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users