Quantcast

» «
Photo

Syntax Errors with IE

6 replies to this topic
Yo' Mama
  • Yo' Mama

why does my dream team alwys go to sh*t within 2 months?

• Members

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:20 PM

Hello,

I'm posting this here in the hope that someone can help cos my IT department at work are all being dicks.

I've been borrowing my sisters laptop for a while and have quite happily been using the internet on it. She now wants it back and of course something has gone wrong with it!

My girl tried to boot it all up yesterday and once windows had started got some funky message along the lines of

'ypager.exe. programme could not be found'

I close this and carry on trying to get on the net. Double-Click on IE and I get a 'syntax error' and nothing I can think of works. I've tried re-installing my IP. Nothing. I've tried searching for this mystery 'ypager' programme. Nothing.

I'm getting a bit worried that something seriously has gone wrong here.

I'm running Windows XP and using IE.

Bear in mind that I haven't got access to the laptop now (I'mat work) and that obviously I can't get online at home.

Thanks guys.

Daggdave
  • Daggdave

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:33 PM

It seems here that you have startup issues. ypager.exe is part of Yahoo Messenger. I got this on google..

QUOTE (Google)

ypager - ypager.exe - Process Information
Process File: ypager or ypager.exe
Process Name: Yahoo Messenger

Description:
ypager.exe is the main process belonging to the Yahoo Instant Messenger application, an Internet messaging program. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down to user preference

Author: Yahoo! Inc.
Part Of: Yahoo Messenger

System Process: No
Background Process: No
Uses Network: No
Hardware Related: No
Common Errors: N/A
Memory Usage: N/A

So basically I am thinking do a reinstall of yahoo messenger, or just disable it within the preferences if you need to. As for the syntax error on IE, I dont think it has anything to do with yahoo messenger. The only things I can think of that normally work for me, is do a system restore on the computer to whenever the computer was working fine. In XP, it actually saves the information about your computer, registry, system files etc... every couple of days, if not every day, and its easy to go back to these days if you have a problem. So I am thinking that if you do the system restore you can even fix the yahoo messenger problem. To do a system restore, go to start, all programs, accessories, system tools, and system restore. Follow the instructions there and choose a date from the calander that you think the computer was working fine. the computer will restart and restore, and hopefully it will work. If you wanna do it the other way, then I suggest reinstalling yahoo messenger, and doing an update on IE. If there are no updates available, then you can try the system file checker. Go to start, run, and type
sfc /scannow

That basically scans your computer, and makes sure that all the software that came with your computer is intact and working properly, and it should fix IE. If that doesnt work, then I suggest firefox smile.gif

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

Daggdave quite well expressed what the issue was.

However, I would suggest that while you are at work, grap a copy of Firefox from the web ( bare in mind to download the correct version of Firefox, as there are different versions for each System ), place it on a deskette or something, or USB-plug if you have such a thing.

And install at home. You will never get this issue, and you do get a better browser.

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Svip @ May 12 2005, 12:40)
And install at home. You will never get this issue, and you do get a better browser.

Firefox won't fix the ypager thing tounge.gif but indeed it is a better browser.

The ypager thing is most likely in the registry, and someone probably tried deleting the program files instead of doing a proper uninstall. You can do what daggdave said, download yahoo messenger, install it, then do a complete uninstall, which should fix that. Otherwise you can delete it out of your registry, but if you don't know how to do that, you shouldn't mess around in your registry anyway.

ypager does integrate with IE if I believe, so try clearing it out first before you do anything with IE.

Yo' Mama
  • Yo' Mama

why does my dream team alwys go to sh*t within 2 months?

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 08:19 AM Edited by Yo' Mama, 13 May 2005 - 06:26 PM.

thanks for all the input guys. I'm gonna try this over the weekend and I'll let you know.

cookie.gif for all!!

EDIT: DaggDave. Thanks man, I'm back online at home now.

The system restore thing worked. Is there anything that would have caused it to happen? i wanna make sure I dont do it again!!!

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 14 May 2005 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (Yo' Mama @ May 13 2005, 02:19)
thanks for all the input guys. I'm gonna try this over the weekend and I'll let you know.

cookie.gif for all!!

The system restore thing worked. Is there anything that would have caused it to happen? i wanna make sure I dont do it again!!!

My guess is someone downloaded yahoo messenger, and deleted the program files themselves instead of doing a complete uninstall. ypager.exe was then looking for those files and messing some stuff up. Then again, I'm not sure if it was affecting IE at all.

Remember to use the uninstall feature instead of deleting files yourself. smile.gif

Daggdave
  • Daggdave

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (Yo' Mama @ May 13 2005, 04:19)

cookie.gif for all!!

Well, the problem with your IE I dont really know. IE is constantly needing updates and such, and can be easily corrupted. for the yahoo messenger, I dont really know, I guess it just wanted a clean install, or its original file from system restore, which was good, and somehow corrupted, but OK! it works! cheers smile.gif glad I could help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users