Photo

differance between dvd-r and dvd+r ?

19 replies to this topic
memento27oasis
  • memento27oasis

Peon

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:38 PM

I have a new dvd burner, double layer or whatever. When I make a duplicate dvd, what's the difference between dvd-r and dvd+r? What dvd should I buy if I want to make a video dvd from clips on my camcorder?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:50 PM

They are just 2 different formats.
Most newer DVD players can view both DVD +R and -R as well as RW of both formats.
Don't worry about DVD DL media, they aren't cheap and will cost you an arm and a leg.

Which one to get is up to you. Check with your DVD player to see which one it supports. Lost the manual or are too lazy to look for it? Try search here http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

I'm using DVD-R and it works just fine even on a DVD Player I have over here that says it doesn't support anything but DVDs and Audio CDs no CDR or DVDRs...go figure.

Atomic
  • Atomic

teh PC chat rapist....

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:37 PM

Yea no kidding...a DL DVD+R costs my $22 for a 3 pack blink.gif

memento27oasis
  • memento27oasis

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:02 AM

wolf68k, thanks for the info, but does anyone know what the hell difference there is between the two? can one be burned multiple times, like a CD-RW? I don't get it.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 05:09 AM

There's nothing really that sets them apart, so if your burner/DVD-ROM supports both then it doens't matter what you use them for. Neither lets you write more then once, they are write only just like any CD-R.

Oh and the - is actually dash not minus just so you know.

memento27oasis
  • memento27oasis

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:17 PM Edited by memento27oasis, 13 May 2005 - 03:20 PM.

SH*T! I f*cking bought dvd-r discs. Put one in my dvd burner, and the mother f*cker tells me I need DVD 9 discs. WTF? The dvd burner won't accept dvd-r!!! What a load of sh*t. Where the f*ck can you buy dvd 9's? I've never heard of that format! Thank you Dell!!!! You're the bestest person!!!! Thanks for the dvd burner that is all weird and sh*t!!!! I just wasted 20 bucks. Anyone need dvd-r's?

and I can't get that money back, cuz I opened the package. F*ck. Is there any way to get my money back, maybe, please?

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

lol, Dell? Word of advice for the future; don't buy your stuff at Dell.

Secondly, neither have I heard of DVD 9 format, are you sure it says 'DVD 9'?

And how old is the burner?

memento27oasis
  • memento27oasis

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:36 PM

It's brand new! It's a 16x speed Philips DVD+-RW burner.

When I try to burn a dvd-r it opens the disc tray again, asking for a DVD 9 disc.

To hell with it.

NeoSNightmarE
  • NeoSNightmarE

Conservative Anarchist

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:37 PM

i dunno about the DVD 9 problem. ive never experienced that. but i know that a modded XBOX reads DVD-R discs better than DVD+R. at least thats what i use it for. so i dunno. but the DL discs are expensive as hell. i would expect and hope for a price drop. smile.gif

brad352
  • brad352

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Svip @ May 13 2005, 23:32)

Dual layer- as opposed to DVD5, single layer discs

@memento- I strongly doubt you'd get a burner supporting only dual layer DVD's- I'd say that you're probably trying to back up a movie or something which won't fit onto a regular DVD, hence needing a dual layer one with greater capacity

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Svip @ May 13 2005, 17:32)

I'm pretty sure that DVD 9 are the dual-layered DVD's.

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci Racing
  • Unknown

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

I agree with them, I think DVD-9 just means DVD+R DL.
But like brad352 said, I don't think they make drives that only accept DL, but I'm stupid.

memento27oasis
  • memento27oasis

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

I just tried it again, with 6 other dvds, and they all said:

"Please insert a DVD 9 disc"

I'm at a loss for words. I think I'll try burning a data dvd with some pictures or files on it, on a dvd-r. and see if that works.

Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:06 PM

Have you even tried calling Dell?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:22 PM

Ok let's take a step back for a second and let's go through this one step at a time.
As jacked up as this sounds I want you start from the exact beginning, well after you've turned the computer on.
Tell us step by step what you're doing, what programs you open and are using to burn the DVD, and then exactly at what point "it" ask you for a DVD 9.

Because as it stands right now, you're making it sound like that you can start up your system and not open any programs and just insert the disc and you get that error from Windows. And for some reason that makes 0 sense to me.

As for calling Dell. What a joke that is. You'll be on hold for about a hour. Then you'll end up taking to someone in India, because Dell out sources their phone tech support because it's cheaper, so you'll end up talking to someone that you can't understand half of what their saying because of the accent.

And yes to set everyone's mind at easy. DVD 9 means single sided dual-layer (source)

memento27oasis
  • memento27oasis

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:40 PM Edited by memento27oasis, 13 May 2005 - 04:48 PM.

Here it goes:

I have Windows XP Home on a brand new Dell.

Sonic RecordNow v7.3 is the software I'm using. It allows you to make cd's and dvd's.

I choose to make an exact copy of a disc in my collection,

I insert the dvd.

This is what the RecordNow software says:

1. Insert the disc you wish to copy in the drive below:
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM (D:)
2. Insert a blank or rewriteable disc in the drive below:
PHILIPS DVDRW 9 (E:)
3. Click the copy button when you are ready to continue

So I click "copy", and this is the message I get:

Please insert a blank or rewriteable DVD 9

now, I've inserted a dvd-r, not a dvd 9, cuz I don't want to have to buy expensive double layer discs. And the dvd-r should have enough room on it to copy the disc, right? or are some dvd's really huge, and need the dvd 9 one?

magical_trevor
  • magical_trevor

Propaganda Inc.

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:19 PM Edited by magical_trevor, 13 May 2005 - 06:23 PM.

QUOTE (wolf68k @ May 13 2005, 17:22)
As for calling Dell. What a joke that is. You'll be on hold for about a hour. Then you'll end up taking to someone in India, because Dell out sources their phone tech support because it's cheaper, so you'll end up talking to someone that you can't understand half of what their saying because of the accent.

[rant]Yeah, Dell tech support is hilariously bad, when my printer broke, the only suggestion they had to fix it was turn it upside down and shake it. Needless, to say, that did not make it feed paper any better. If you go on the Dell Tech Support forums, there's all kinds of hilarious stories where people have phoned Dell with faulty PSUs, only to have to explain to the "technician" what a PSU actually is. But Dell probably deleted those topics, since they host the forums themselves.[/rant]

on-topic- my Dell DVD burner (it's a different model to yours though) came with some crappy 'DLA' thing which it uses to burn DVDs instead of the default Windows thingy. On my PC, only DLA will work for DVDs, but both the Windows recording thing and DLA will work on CD-RWs:

user posted image

Anyway, like I said, I can't burn DVDs without using this, and I also have to format them first. So, if you've got it try turning it on...

Bond996
  • Bond996

[INSERT MEMBER TITLE HERE]

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

If you try to do a direct copy of a retail DVD that you bought, it will NEED a DL DVD. Otherwise, it only have about 4.7gbs for 9gb of information. The software might have a recompression option to compress the movie to fit onto a smaller disk, or you will have to use something like DVD Shrink to recompress it and remove things.

salibaba
  • salibaba

[GL]Salibaba

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:23 PM Edited by salibaba, 13 May 2005 - 07:26 PM.

im not sure if this applies in this as i dont have a dl burner case but its worth a shot. Can you change the destination drive to PHILIPS DVDRW 5 (E:) instead of PHILIPS DVDRW 9 (E:).
the reason I suggest this is because my mum has a dvd burner in her computer and If I borrow it to burn a dvd with Nero there is a pull down menu telling you that you have the option to select Philips DVDRW (E:) or Philips CDRW(E:) the difference being that one mode lets you set it as a cd burner and the other as a dvd burner, you may be able to selct similar options and set it to the option to burn to a single layer dvd.
as I say ive never used DL so I cant be sure, cant hurt to try.

*edit* after looking over some of the previos post properly I agree with them too you may be copying a dual layer disc to single layer and its telling you to f*ck off basicly

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:24 PM

Ah ok, so you're trying to do a disc-to-disc copy of a DVD to a DVD-R
There is your problem. More than likely that movie DVD is dual-layer.
What you need to do is, like what Bond996, use DVD Shrink.

With DVD Shrink you can get of stuff you don't need, like extra audio tracks, sub titles and dvd extras. Leaving just the movie. Then it's possible to have that fit the movie just fine on the DVDR without lowering the quality. But if not then DVDShrink can also lower the quality as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users