Photo

nick name

25 replies to this topic
disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

just a little idea, i guess it could make the forums more confusing in a way.

anyway, when you register, you choose a username, and mine is 'disco', and will stay as that forever. but if i get bored of that name, i would be nice if i could choose a new nickname on my 'disco' account. choosing a nickname will not change my accounts username, just the name that acompanies my post.
also, you should not be able to choose a nickname that already exists as a user/nickname on the gtaf-database, obviously.

this will mean less people making new accounts cause they're bored of their name, and less work for mods to change usernames as requests.

whaddya' think?

BigGamer
  • BigGamer

Godful killing machine

• The Connection

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:49 PM

Well, what if someone attempted to send a PM to a nickname? Would both names re-direct to the same inbox? Also, what about people who want a nickname that's already taken? There's tens of thousands of people on this forum, and of the active ones, there's bound to be at least a hundred who are obsessed over having somebody else's name.

Other than those two things, though, I like the idea.

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:51 PM

On a board this size, I don't think it would work/be needed. I have trouble keeping track of everyone already. confused.gif

ToyMachine
  • ToyMachine

Scum.

• Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:58 PM

I see what you mean. It is sort of like the thing they have on MySpace.

I don't think that's a good idea. It would get confusing with everyone changing their usernames.

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (ToyMachine @ May 9 2005, 21:58)
It would get confusing with everyone changing their usernames.

they wouldn't be changing their usernames, just a nickname..
you can still see their original username in their profile.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:12 PM

Mmm... PMing shouldn't be a problem if you use the link below people's posts as they link to username.

Now, maybe the username should be in small text size but below the nickname, so you can see the nickname, but always username as you wont be confussed by that.

Or the username could be found somewhere else in the post, or lastly in the profile.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 May 2005 - 03:53 PM Edited by Luke2004, 11 May 2005 - 09:01 PM.

I like this suggestion, well of course I would because my user is Luke2004 and it's 2005 now to maybe if this suggestion came it would help.. although you could maybe put a limit on this so people aren't changing their username after they've posted.

As Svip said, you could add the username either at the bottom of the post e.g
This post was posted by Luke2004 on Tuesday 10th May at 16:56.
Your nickname would appear where your username currentely does but not at the end of the topic where the last post is shown.

EDIT: Are we going to see this feature implemented into this forum? It's been pretty quiet these last few days.

ISd3d
  • ISd3d

Member Title

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:54 PM

That would be awesome, especially for people who picked stupid usernames like me. I'm stuck with this dickass name. With this feature, I'd be able to switch to somether cooler and stuff. Add this now!

jacob.
  • jacob.

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:46 PM

I'd like this feature also, considering the name change request topic was locked.

Werleman1
  • Werleman1

Werle

• Members

Posted 16 May 2005 - 02:20 PM

i would love to see this feature , it would be nice to see how it would work

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 16 May 2005 - 04:00 PM

I think it's a good idea disco. I would put it into use.
And another point, can we change our nick names?

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (Canoxa @ May 16 2005, 17:00)
And another point, can we change our nick names?

that's the whole point..

you can change your nickname as many times as you want, and your username/memberID# will always remain the same.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:24 PM

I want this feature to be made, asap! smile.gif It's a really good idea, and happens on another forum my brother goes to and it's quite good. Also it would help me too, to upgrade for 04 to 2005 tounge.gif
- Luke.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:28 PM

I could write the entire hack myself. But I am really not in favour of this hack.

Since it will just make it more complicated for the mods and admins.

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• None

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:30 PM

I'm on Svip's side, failing to properly see a decent purpose to a hack like this. Giving people further choice to pick out names for themselves that others already have etc is just going to get confusing, sounds like a bad idea to me, though if I'm honest I don't fully understand your plan. Feel free to explain it in some more detail, how exactly it would work, where this 2nd name would be displayed, if the real username would still be displayed etc.

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (Smithers @ May 16 2005, 23:30)
I'm on Svip's side, failing to properly see a decent purpose to a hack like this. Giving people further choice to pick out names for themselves that others already have etc is just going to get confusing, sounds like a bad idea to me, though if I'm honest I don't fully understand your plan. Feel free to explain it in some more detail, how exactly it would work, where this 2nd name would be displayed, if the real username would still be displayed etc.

i'm not sure if you fully understand what i'm getting at.

before i go on, remember - username and nickname are two different things.

at the moment, your username is Smithers and you cannot change that.
with this new hack, you still won't be able to change your username, but you will be able to choose an addional nickname; as long as it isn't in use by someone else. You can change your nickname as many times as you like. your username will remain the same so that people can be sure who is actually posting. and as svip pointed out earlier, your username will placed somewhere in your post, i suggest underneath your sig.

for the record, i personally doubt i would make use of this hack, i'm perfectly happy with my current username as it is. but people who do want to change their name for whatever reason, can do, without bothering mods/admins.

but to avoid confusion and abuse, there could be a limit on how many times you can change your nickname per day, or week, or month, etc..

so, if you changed your nickname to 'omg luke puke', your post would have looked like this..
click here.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:10 PM

I don't like the way that looked, couldn't you add the name in the post somewhere for example look at the bottom of this post?

This was posted by Luke2004 at 19:06 on the 17/5/2005.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:18 PM

Whether you have just a nickname on the screen or both nickname and username its going to be confusing. People will change their name all the time which would help them evade the staff. Despite what you have said I still agree with Smithers, I don't see a real point to having this.

Displaying the nickname where presently the username is placed would confuse things more. What about if someone doesn't want to display a nickname? Would they be left with their username in its current position, because if so there is going to be a mix up there with whether what is displayed is an actual username or a nickname. Generally my opinion is that it will make extra unnecessary work for the staff to look for members who are in breaking rules.

People would change their name so it was similar to staff members probably, it would be easy enough to change it back when the time come also. I donít really know how to get my point across fully but Iím not too keen on the idea myself.

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• None

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (disco @ May 17 2005, 17:26)
so, if you changed your nickname to 'omg luke puke', your post would have looked like this..
click here.

Thanks, that's cleared it up for me. Though it's what I didn't want to hear to be honest. Having the hack which actually replaces the username with a nickname is a bad thing, it's just opening up the forums to abuse and confusion. What if I changed my nickname to illspirit or something?

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (Smithers @ May 17 2005, 19:51)
click here.

Thanks, that's cleared it up for me. Though it's what I didn't want to hear to be honest. Having the hack which actually replaces the username with a nickname is a bad thing, it's just opening up the forums to abuse and confusion. What if I changed my nickname to illspirit or something?

Make a hack that doesn't allow nicknames to be other usernames. - Luke.

*gta star*
  • *gta star*

Z Man - Veteran Z member

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:05 PM

Personally, I'm not keen on this idea. This is a very big board and as Bigs said, I find it hard to keep track so far and if their are nicknames it will be very confusing.

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 17 May 2005 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (Smithers @ May 17 2005, 19:51)
click here.

you coudn't, because 'illspirit' is taken by our loveable admin, get it?

@GT-1,
i'm not sure if you're getting things mixed up, but it wouldn't be anymore of a challenge to track down rule breakers whatsoever.
changing your nickname has nothing to do with your username.
think of it like in real life when wearing a mask. it doesn't matter what kind of mask your wear, your face will always remain the same.

timmy2004
  • timmy2004

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (disco @ May 10 2005, 07:02)

Still, I'd hate to click on everyone username to see who they really are.

disco
  • disco

science!

• The Precinct

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (timmy2004 @ May 17 2005, 22:09)
QUOTE (disco @ May 10 2005, 07:02)

Still, I'd hate to click on everyone username to see who they really are.

it's been mentioned a few times already, and is included in the screenshot that the original username will also be displayed in the members' posts. so your worry is not a concern.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:32 AM

Or perhaps make a function that disallows nicknames to be shown, and will show the board as they are now?

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (disco @ May 17 2005, 19:07)
@GT-1,
i'm not sure if you're getting things mixed up, but it wouldn't be anymore of a challenge to track down rule breakers whatsoever.
changing your nickname has nothing to do with your username.
think of it like in real life when wearing a mask. it doesn't matter what kind of mask your wear, your face will always remain the same.

I understand what you mean but I still believe it would make things much more confusing if this was implemented. Would it not be just as easy to use the members title section for one to display their nickname. I think that be moving the actual position of the username would cause confusion despite it been placed next to your sig as you displayed on the image.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users