Photo

Cd Drives Problem..

8 replies to this topic
Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:51 AM

As the topic title says, I'm having problems with my CD Drives, I have two drives.

- Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-116
- MSI CD-RW MS-8348

My DVD drive is a normal DVD drive, it doesn't read any DVD disk I put into it. If reading a normal DVD with windows explorer it crashes, if I try watching a DVD using Power DVD, then it says the disk is damaged, when normal DVD players in the house read it fine.

My CD-RW drive, will read certain disks just fine, but it will not burn, I've tried every sort of software, Alcohol 120%, Nero, Windows own software.. loads. My freind suggested it could of been SP2, so when I reinstalled Windows, I didn't put SP2 on, it didn't solve it.

I've tried searching for firmware or drivers for these, but haven't been able to find any. I'm stumped at what could be causing it..

Thanks

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:06 AM

That's nothing to do with SP2. Have you installed any "recent" game lately? Some copy-protection systems install some sort of driver that causes that kind of weird behavior when they detect software such as Alcohol 120%... confused.gif

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:13 AM

No, this is on a fresh XP install, the only game I have installed is Age of Empires 2.

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

Have you flashed and/or upgraded the drives' firmware?

When did this behavior begin to happen?

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:39 AM

Nope I haven't flashed or upgraded the drives, since I haven't managed to find any drivers or updates for them. Its always been a bit iffy when its come to burning CDs, but never had the DVD drive do this to me..

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:30 PM

Pioneer DVD-116 Firmware http://www.pioneerel...8760825,00.html

If you have another system some where, maybe even your friend's, swap out the drive to there and see if it works.
The nice thing about most optical drivers is that they don't require drivers to be installed. Even When I ran Win98, I went from a 52x CD-ROM, then added a Lite-On CDRW, laster swapped teh CD-ROM for a Afree DVD-ROM, then went to XP Pro and then this year swaped that out for a Lite-On DVDRW. And not once was I asked for drivers, the most I've ever done was firmware updates...not that I needed to to fix a problem.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:31 AM

Thanks wolf, but that didn't work. Its still not reading disks correctly.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:19 PM

Sorry for the new post, but I thought it was necessary.

Well after taking both drives out. Switching the DVD from master to slave, and the CD-RW to master from slave. The DVD drive has started working again. But the CD-RW won't record still.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:31 PM

I still suggest taking the drive to another system and put it in and see how it works there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users