» «
Photo

Member's picture site

23 replies to this topic
Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:00 AM Edited by Sixdust, 10 May 2005 - 02:38 AM.

Since we can't make anymore member's picture thread topics on gtaforums, why not just use a site like freewebs or something similar and allow us users to e-mail or pm the person in charge of the site. This way we can still see everyone's mugs and not have any spam at all since it's another website. They would be in alphabetical order and a user would only be allowed to submit up to five pictures? ( I don't know for sure if 5 is a good number) I have seen some other forums that have a seperate website for member's photos and it seems pretty successful. The user who decides to take on this task could make a pinned topic with the link to the site and instructions/rules of that site. Or we could have a topic in which only one person (the topic starter was allowed to post in) and members would pm the topic starter their pictures and the topic starter would post the pictures in the thread. No spam either since its a one person only topic. The pictures would have a caption (optional) and the member's name under the picture. If a member wanted a picture removed they send a pm or email (whichever) and ask for the image to be removed. In the pm's or e-mails (i am not quite sure of this) the user's would either send their links to the images or would the website be able to upload the images itself?

What do you guys think? Its been successful in other forums, and alot of us want to see how others look like, and there is no chance of another member's picture thread due to spam , why not try it on gtaforums?

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:06 AM

Not a bad idea, used on another forum I go too.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:25 AM

I don't know how the staff thinks about it, but I'll see if I can put something together...

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 02:54 AM Edited by Sixdust, 08 May 2005 - 12:24 PM.

thanks anuj. hopefully something can be put together.

edit: What does everyone else think?

Kuiosikle
  • Kuiosikle

Who?

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:11 AM

I think it could work, although it won't if no one notices this topic as it slowly sinks away...

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:26 AM Edited by Sixdust, 10 May 2005 - 02:39 AM.

yeah why is it that this topic is sinking so fast? So many views yet so little posts. What do the mods/administrators think?

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• The Connection
  • Netherlands
  • Best Script 2013 [DYOM]
    Best Script 2012 [DYOM]

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:40 AM

Maybe we could add a member-picture to the user profile, so that everyone that wants to see your picture, can click on your name (to be transferred to your profile-page).
There'll be no spam on the forums (maybe a PM or so).

If you want to display more than one picture, you could just host them at imageshack, and put the URL somewhere in your profile, ( interests-box probably has space left).

monocle.gif

jimmy.
  • jimmy.

?

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:42 AM

It sounds like a good idea.

Lockdogg
  • Lockdogg

A man's man

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 04:54 AM

Im all for it. I hope they take up your idea.

MyMothersMySister
  • MyMothersMySister

Unkle Dysfunktional

• None

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (PatrickW @ May 10 2005, 02:40)
Maybe we could add a member-picture to the user profile, so that everyone that wants to see your picture, can click on your name (to be transferred to your profile-page).
There'll be no spam on the forums (maybe a PM or so).

That's so crazy it might just actually work. wow.gif

I wouldn't mind seeing what anuj comes up with though.

<3

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:01 AM

Some easy PHP coding. Just give me a weekend and you'll have something quite simlar.

However, I don't know if I have the abilities to host that many images.

Secondly, should we allow comments on each image? So each member uploaded an image and then other people could comment on it?

So on the front page you could view the 15, 10 or whatever newest images, and see the member lists and all that sh*t. And then you could comment on whatever image they might have uploaded.

Shouldn't be that hard to code.

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:26 PM

Hey Svip, if you want to make a comments section then go ahead. I am looking forward to this.

@Patrickw: Most people don't want to put their mug in their profile, the majority of people like to have a bunch of pictures to display. And they want to be able to quickly look-up or look at other picture's or see a picture next to the other and say wtf? That's how he/she looks like? I always imagined they looked very different.

If a site is put together by Svip, anuj, or another member, a locked and pinned topic should b put in general chat with the link or whatever is neccessary.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 10 May 2005 - 02:13 PM Edited by Svip, 10 May 2005 - 02:14 PM.

In order to make this clear, we have to write a structure.

Index page
  • Menu
    • Home
      - redirects to front page.
    • Members
      - redirects to a member list.
    • To GTAForums
      - returns/redirects to GTAForums.com
    • ...?
      - suggest more for the menu.
  • Main
    • Home
      • Newest images
        - the 15 ( or more/less ) newest images uploaded by members, including the names below and the current amount of comments that is clickable so people can view the comments and also make one themselves.
      • News?
        - question: should there be some sort of news, or is that inimportant, or perhaps some sort of blog elsewhere on the site.
    • Member list
      • The list of all the members.
        - maybe it is sorted into pages, and perhaps there their newest or their favorite image by their name or none.
      • Clickable names
        - redirects to the userpage.
    • Image page
      • The image
        - on top of it all the image is, with a comment from the user submitted it. And it's title above.
      • The comments
        - below the images listed either by date desc/asec or by other means, the other users has replied/commented on the image submitted.
    • User page
      • User information
        - all their information; images submitted, comments posted etc, and also some of their GTAF information, like their GTAF nickname ( just in case people choose a different name here ), a link to their GTAF profile page.
      • Their imags
        - an entire list of all their images, which are clickable and directing to the image's page.
  • Bottom
    • Some login/out/register things?
I hope you understand the set up, if not, please direct any questions or suggestions.

EDIT: Could it be hosted here? And maybe the images could be hosted elsewhere, or should they be hosted on the page?

jimmy.
  • jimmy.

?

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Svip @ May 10 2005, 08:01)

Secondly, should we allow comments on each image? So each member uploaded an image and then other people could comment on it?

How would that be much different than the Member Picture Thread? Although it's easier to spam on a message board, it's still possible to post spam comments if they're allowed.

What about giving photos a number rating (just an idea, if it's at all possible)?

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

I like the layout you have there Svip. One piece of advice, if page size is an issue, then when a person clicks on a letter (alphabetical order) the page has the first 20 names in alphabetical order and then there are more pages of each letter, etc. I think that if you have a sort of rating system. you should use the topic rating system for pictures (good or bad and the percent changes with each click). As for login, it would be good if somehow we could use our gtaforums screennames. Or we can just have pictures to look at.

Made
  • Made

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:46 PM

or also, I've seen on another forums that they have a photo gallery on their profile. And other members can make comments on there photo gallery. example from tokeup.com. This might be more easier, but I'm not a coding person so I don't know.

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:04 AM

The members' picture gallery is a good idea, but I think you shouldn't be able to post comments (maybe the user that's posting the image should be the only one allowed to comment on it). The reason why so many members' picture topics were locked was the fact that some members just spammed the hell out of it or insulted the pics' authors. confused.gif

Sweets
  • Sweets

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci
  • Unknown

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (PresidentKiller @ May 11 2005, 00:04)
The members' picture gallery is a good idea, but I think you shouldn't be able to post comments (maybe the user that's posting the image should be the only one allowed to comment on it). The reason why so many members' picture topics were locked was the fact that some members just spammed the hell out of it or insulted the pics' authors. confused.gif

I agree with that. Some people are too immature to just look at a picture without starting something.

I think it should just be member names and their pictures, because comments and voting might make some people less likely to submit a picture.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (PresidentKiller @ May 11 2005, 06:04)

A. If it's a seperate site, people would as a human behavoir stand back a bit.

B. How about we allow the user who uploads the image to allow/disallow comments on the image in question?

Thirdly, since I have very much free time today, I'm able to start coding it now.

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:03 AM

Maybe there shouldn't be a comments area. Just the user's name and caption if there is one. If you want to comment on someone's picture pm them or tell them in IRC. It's good to hear that you are making progress Svip. Keep up the good work.

Made
  • Made

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Sixdust @ May 11 2005, 16:03)
Maybe there shouldn't be a comments area. Just the user's name and caption if there is one. If you want to comment on someone's picture pm them or tell them in IRC. It's good to hear that you are making progress Svip. Keep up the good work.

Some people actually post pictures to see comments wow.gif .

But yes, allowing the user whether to allow or disallow is a would be a good idea. Cause there are people who would not like comments either. Either way, good luck with it all smile.gif

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:16 PM

Any luck/progress so far on the sites Svip or anuj (or anyone else) making the site?

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (Sixdust @ May 14 2005, 22:16)
Any luck/progress so far on the sites Svip or anuj (or anyone else) making the site?

Not much, I am still waiting for anuj to get online and make some graphics. As I can't be arsed to code the PHP before the graphics.

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:37 PM

well it's been weeks since a new post. SO I ask, is there any progress on it svip/ anuj or anyone else?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users