Photo

Upgrading to XP

6 replies to this topic
GL652
  • GL652

GTA:LC

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:39 PM

Hi, i live in the UK and i was wondering what is the cheapest way possible to get a copy of XP HOME or PRO so i can play DOOM3 and eventually SanAn. Thanks for any help.

imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:40 PM

What windows are you running?

Anyway, a update to home is fairly cheap, just go to the local game/computer store and ask for it there.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:51 PM

Either buy a cheap second hand computer, or buy a disc, from your local pc store. I'd say it's easy to get a new computer as sometimes older parts don't work with new windows.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:30 PM

If you have a full version of Win98, ME, NT or 2k (I'm not sure if Win95 is allowed) then you can buy the upgrade version of XP Home or Pro.
At some point of the install process it'll ask for a full version OS in which you would swap in the full version Windows you have. It'll read the disc for a bit, then ask for the XP disc back and you off and running.
After that it's normal. What you might want to look into later is using Norton Ghost or seeing if it's possible to make an unattended XP CD (I'm not so sure if you can do this with the upgrade version but maybe you can) to save time and hassles for future clean installs.

~andy
  • ~andy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

I ordered some wireless cards on ebuyer yesterday and noticed they have Windows XP Home SP2 OEM for a suspiciously cheap £56.99, delivery's a couple of quid - here. I might buy this when I get the cash.

Datalord
  • Datalord

Boss

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

Microsoft OEM Operating system software MUST be purchased with a non-peripheral hardware component or fully assembled computer system. Non-peripheral hardware consists of a motherboard, graphics card, memory module, hard disk, keyboard or mouse. Full retail boxed products must be ordered if no hardware/PC system is to accompany the sale.

So is OEM where you have to buy the hardware? I've always wondered what it meant.

Bond996
  • Bond996

[INSERT MEMBER TITLE HERE]

• Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:48 PM Edited by Bond996, 09 May 2005 - 11:50 PM.

QUOTE (Datalord @ May 9 2005, 18:17)
Microsoft OEM Operating system software MUST be purchased with a non-peripheral hardware component or fully assembled computer system. Non-peripheral hardware consists of a motherboard, graphics card, memory module, hard disk, keyboard or mouse. Full retail boxed products must be ordered if no hardware/PC system is to accompany the sale.

So is OEM where you have to buy the hardware? I've always wondered what it meant.

Newegg has a $4 ATX Power splitter that according to them satisfies the purchased with hardware deal, so that's not very accurate.

EDIT: To answer your question:
QUOTE (Wikipedia)
OEM, when used to describe software, is used to differentiate that version of the software which is bundled with other hardware or software from that same software package sold on its own as a retail package. The packaging and legal rights that come with the OEM versions of a software package generally differ from what is provided with the retail versions, though the functionality of the software tends to be the same.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users