Photo

Digital camcorder streaming quality lost

9 replies to this topic
Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:10 PM

In January I bought a nice (or so I thought) brand new Sony Digital Cam (the Handycam HC20). Since it's a digital camcorder, you obviously film the movie on a small cassette and then when you want to import it on your computer, you simply stream it on there.

Everything was fine and all until I noticed this last April how absolutely LOW the streaming quality got. I wish I could send a screenshot of how bad it is now, but my computer won't let me copy any video-related medias on here, it always shows up as pitch black.

Anyways, to make a long story short, I made absolutely no settings changes on my computer, nor my digital camcorder. And the quality of the camera used to be absolutely unbelievable it was crisp, sharp, clean. Now it doesn't matter if I am streaming live video via webcam, capturing video in a video editing program, or simply streaming video off the cassette and importing it onto my computer. Now it shows up half gray and all megapixely, it's like the Photoshop "Mosaic Filter" applied 4 times over.

Anyone have any hints as to what the hell is going on with it? The thing is brand new practically, I have kept it in prestigous condition. It has not been dropped, etc.

Bond996
  • Bond996

[INSERT MEMBER TITLE HERE]

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:34 PM

What do you mean by streaming? Firewire, USB, or RCA connections? What program?

fido2
  • fido2

DDAM

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:51 PM

Try one of those head cleaning tapes.

Does the camera have a little screen on it? (google isnt working, I cant find out myself)
If so, is the quality good there?

Hamburger
  • Hamburger

Yes It's me

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:52 PM

Same thing happend to my sony piece of sh*t! angry.gif

Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 01:54 AM

It streams from the camera to a USB port.
In MSN for example, the webcam quality is sh*t now; it's the exact same for Windows Movie Maker; I know it's not the programs - it's definately the streaming.

The tapes shouldn't make a difference either, they play perfect on the camcorder, which has an LCD as well as a viewfinder you can both watch movies in. They play 100% crisp and clear on the camcorder and on TV A/V hookups, but when I stream it to my computer (whether it be live, like a webcam; or I am just importing some footage) the quality is absolutely horrendous.

Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:19 PM

Anyone else have ideas?
Damned camcorder.

MegaVovaN
  • MegaVovaN

GTA:LC hoster

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:57 AM

Try reinstalling camcoder drivers and proggie.

Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (MegaVovaN @ May 12 2005, 19:57)
Try reinstalling camcoder drivers and proggie.

Done that about 5 times confused.gif

Maybe I should just take it back to the store.
I wonder if that sh*tty ''Wal Mart'' place will let you exchange things you've owned for 90+ days?

Bond996
  • Bond996

[INSERT MEMBER TITLE HERE]

• Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:34 AM

Use firewire. USB connections are sh*t for DV transfer. There just isn't enough bandwidth.

crazydude
  • crazydude

Blah!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:58 AM

My friends camera uses a mini dv as well, I tried transfering the video to the computer/dvd disc and it turned out to be total crap. Looks like streaming video from realplayer back 5 years ago. I was planning on calling sony and asking them about it, but i havent gotten around to it. What software did it come with Barbaneez? Have you visited the site for an updated version. The software that came with my friends (cant remember the name) has over 6 versions of it and like 10 subversions. wtf?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users