Photo

"CMOS Checksum Error"

5 replies to this topic
Yosho the Grand
  • Yosho the Grand

Wise Old Man

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:20 PM

My computer's always been screwy in one way or another, but yesterday it hit the roof in screwiness. Here's the rundown:
I went to turn it on, pressed the power button, nothing happened. Pressed it again, it booted up. As it ran through the DOS startup, before it got to Primary Master, it stopped and said "CMOS Checksum Error- loading defaults". I pressed F1 to continue and it loaded into Windows fine. Unfortunately, it had reset my date and time as well as my CPU settings. My CPU is a 600 Mhz PIII, but it turned it down to a 200 for some reason. I fixed everything and rebooted it, and it was fine, but now, today, I went to turn it on again and the exact same thing happened. What's going on? Why is it resetting everytime I turn it off?
Help is greatly appreciated.

Computer Specs:
Windows 98 SE
600 Mhz PIII
128 MB RAM
GeForce 4 Ti 4200
Cable Internet
Asus Mobo (not sure of the model number)

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:25 PM

I'm guessing your cpu multiplyer decided to underclock itself. Go into your BOIS, and look around to the frequency settings, and set the FSB multiplyer to the right number, or maybe just step evrything to default in your BIOS smile.gif

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:52 PM

Commonly this might be caused by a dead CMOS battery.

One way you can confirm it's the battery. Restart and go into the BIOS setup and make some simple changes that won't hurt you or the system any. Save the changes and let it restart and boot like normal. Shut down the system for about 10-15minutes. Then bring it back up and see if you get the same error.

A new CMOS battery is only a $2-4US.

Shut down the system, pop out the battery and take it down to RadioShack they should have one perfect for you.

Yosho the Grand
  • Yosho the Grand

Wise Old Man

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:03 PM

Hmm, dead battery? Ok thx, but where can I find this battery on the mobo?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:16 PM

Normally it's a flat round disc, something like this http://videolab.gl.f...MOS_battery.jpg

Where on the mobo varries some what, normally it's toward the lower front of the mobo (or toward the front of the case).

Yosho the Grand
  • Yosho the Grand

Wise Old Man

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:25 PM

Sweet, thx! rah.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users