Photo

Which operating system?

16 replies to this topic
Duders
  • Duders

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:29 AM

Well, I recently got ahold of an old Panasonic CF-47. It stands out as a PII 333 Mhz system with 128 MB of ram and a 6 GB harddrive. Which operating system do you recommend. I currently have Windows 98 in mind but should I also consider Linux? All I would use it for is internet surfing and homeworking and wireless Wi-Fi card. Thanks.

-duder

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:44 PM

Basically both OSs will in your case be just as good, though the fact that you might find a more suitable version of Linux for such a machine.

I know that I might be on Linux side most of the time, but since you are only going to do that, then I would say you should go for Linux.

However, you better find a more out of the box Linux, where everything just is there from the beginning, as I am guessing that you wont be bothered spending extremely long time figureing out how to set the distro up.

Right now, I can't give you a distro that would suit it, but I might find one. In case you are wondering what Office pack Linux uses, I can already tell you; OpenOffice.org, since it's Open Source and all that.

fido2
  • fido2

DDAM

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:06 PM

Fedora is pretty user-friendly.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (fido2 @ May 7 2005, 15:06)
Fedora is pretty user-friendly.

But does it run on such an old machine?

Not very sure.

If not, then try Ubuntu, as I think it's the most user friendly distro today, and not only is it just userfriendly, it is also good for advanced Linux users.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 07 May 2005 - 04:43 PM

Personally, for me I would install some version of Linux or Unix on there and use that machine to learn the OS with. This is assuming that you have another system that you're using now for gaming.

Surfing shouldn't be a problem with either a Lunix or Unix OS, neither should homework using OpenOffice.

WiFi might be a bit of a problem from what I've heard. Basicly you need to know exactly what WiFi card you have in that system and then see if there are Linux or Unix (which ever one you go with) drivers for it.

Duders
  • Duders

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Ill first do some research to see if my Microsoft MN-520 is compatable and ill try to download Ubunta. Thanks

-duder

Bond996
  • Bond996

[INSERT MEMBER TITLE HERE]

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:41 PM

Fedora and Ubuntu will both run on the system, however I don't think either will run very fast at all. Something like DSL (Damn Small Linux), might be better suited.

Also, keep in mind setting up a wifi card under Linux will require Kernel Sources, a moderate amount of command line and compiling experience, and just general know-how. Using ndiswrapper worked fine for my Realtek 8180 based card under Ubuntu, but it took some time to figure out the right kernel packages to get under apt-get, and I luckily had enough experience at the command line and with compiling programs.

Luke2004
  • Luke2004

You wanna leave? k. gtfo.

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2005 - 10:45 PM

I've always liked windows. Although I was just reading about this, and looking at some screenshots of it, Lindows looks pretty user friendly.. the only problem is I've never seen it before in computer stores. Well, Click to see information.

Looks pretty good and as you can probably guess it's as easy as windows but looks like linux.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Luke2004 @ May 8 2005, 00:45)
I've always liked windows. Although I was just reading about this, and looking at some screenshots of it, Lindows looks pretty user friendly.. the only problem is I've never seen it before in computer stores. Well, Click to see information.

Looks pretty good and as you can probably guess it's as easy as windows but looks like linux.

Lindows ain't that good.

And secondly, you don't see Linux in computer stores, as very few computer stores see business in selling Linux, because more people would rather have Windows.

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:29 PM Edited by SyphonPayne, 07 May 2005 - 11:31 PM.

QUOTE (Svip @ May 7 2005, 18:15)

And secondly, you don't see Linux in computer stores, as very few computer stores see business in selling Linux, because more people would rather have Windows.

I don't blame the people. I tried linux, got into it for a while, but eventually got tired of having to compile a crapload for simple programs. And once i finally found a proper driver for my creative soundblaster audigy 2, i couldn't figure out how to make it use that driver for every session. Basically I was doing all this crap just to make it run like a basic computer. I failed miserably because of all the crap you got to do. Windows is just a much easier and more compatible operating system, and all in all I never get the infamous "blue screen of death" ever on this computer. Yeah windows has some problems, but they're much easier to fix unlike any linux distro I have ever used.

EDIT: Oh and it was extremely hard just to get it to partition my hard drive without erasing other partitions. It ended up wiping my second drive clean even though I was working with the first one confused.gif .

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 07 May 2005 - 11:33 PM

I have seen Redhat and Suse and a few others in BestBuy, MicroCenter and CompUSA. But they are a select few distros of Linux that are sold as such places.

One of the best places for "one stop shopping", as it were, is LinuxISO.org. You can find more distros of Linux and Unix than you knew existed, plus in some case older version from that distro

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE (SyphonPayne @ May 8 2005, 01:29)
QUOTE (Svip @ May 7 2005, 18:15)

I don't blame the people. I tried linux, got into it for a while, but eventually got tired of having to compile a crapload for simple programs. And once i finally found a proper driver for my creative soundblaster audigy 2, i couldn't figure out how to make it use that driver for every session. Basically I was doing all this crap just to make it run like a basic computer. I failed miserably because of all the crap you got to do. Windows is just a much easier and more compatible operating system, and all in all I never get the infamous "blue screen of death" ever on this computer. Yeah windows has some problems, but they're much easier to fix unlike any linux distro I have ever used.

EDIT: Oh and it was extremely hard just to get it to partition my hard drive without erasing other partitions. It ended up wiping my second drive clean even though I was working with the first one confused.gif .

Hmmm... maybe you should get a real distro, one with commands such as;

CODE
# apt-get

and

CODE
# emerge

Through apt-get I can get any application for Linux. I just type;

CODE
# apt-get install <program>

And bang, it compiles the entire program itself. The drivers are mostly found by the distro on install.

Linux has made it so much easier for me, I could spend ass long time on Windows, and end up never figuring it out, Linux has helped me make everything much easier.

So either you didn't took your time reading a bit, or you just didn't knew how to work out Linux. confused.gif

tecnovm64
  • tecnovm64

har har

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 03:44 AM

I would recommend Debian (it's the base of ubuntu), it's pretty easier to install and it's really stable (behind gentoo by a little bit) i personally use it in my linuxbox, i think it's good for begginers/advanced users, and comes with the apt-get command... if u download the first cd it comes with a lot of software. The link for the iso download is here:
ftp://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian-cdima...s/current/i386/

ADJ
  • ADJ

The Wizard from Worcester

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:28 PM

I've got a computer like that upstairs on Windows 2000, but it was upgraded a few years ago; when we first got it it was on Windows 95 - so Windows 98 should do fine.

I'm not sure about Linux, I've never used it but I've always found Windows easy to use.

Duders
  • Duders

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:08 PM

I enentually decided to go with Windows 98 because I wasn't sure if the old laptop could handle Ubunta very because there are some softwares that I use that doesn't seem to be compatable with Linux. Plus, after converting the drive to fat32, I found that it only has 2 GB so now there is a great limit as to what I can do. I'm sure to get an external harddrive soon. Now, another problem has come up. After my Windows 98 SE installation, it keeps on popping up errors saying that certain files are missing. I assume it is the disc's problem so i'll give Windows 2000 Pro a try.

-duder

riccbhard
  • riccbhard

---->

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:23 PM

I would go with Linux.

tecnovm64
  • tecnovm64

har har

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (duder6131 @ May 8 2005, 15:08)
I enentually decided to go with Windows 98 because I wasn't sure if the old laptop could handle Ubunta very because there are some softwares that I use that doesn't seem to be compatable with Linux. Plus, after converting the drive to fat32, I found that it only has 2 GB so now there is a great limit as to what I can do. I'm sure to get an external harddrive soon. Now, another problem has come up. After my Windows 98 SE installation, it keeps on popping up errors saying that certain files are missing. I assume it is the disc's problem so i'll give Windows 2000 Pro a try.

-duder

Well.. ubuntu will work better than windows in that laptop, and it's very minimalistic so you'll have more free space if u install ubuntu there, it isn't hard (that's a lie) it's very very easy so you don't need to know a lot sh*t. Give Ubuntu a try. wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users