Photo

Grand Theft Auto for Macintosh Computers

12 replies to this topic
Vash the Stampede
  • Vash the Stampede

Legendary Outlaw

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:23 AM

I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not any of the GTA games were going to be released for Apple? I currently have a PowerBook G4 and I would love to see them make the GTA series games for it. If anyone has any information for me it would be great.

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:29 AM

I hear GTA5 will be exclusively for Macintosh. wow.gif ...in Mianus.

ChibiMAK
  • ChibiMAK

Love Media

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:30 AM

Just get Virtual PC or whatever

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:36 AM

It's highly unlikely I am afraid, anyway I'll move this to Gaming since your referring to all GTA games.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:45 AM

All versions of GTA on the PC use DirectX. You'd need to run a virtual machine, as I don't think there are any DirectX emulators for Macs.

Majestic
  • Majestic

dirty commie

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (Opius @ May 6 2005, 23:45)
All versions of GTA on the PC use DirectX. You'd need to run a virtual machine, as I don't think there are any DirectX emulators for Macs.

So what does DirectX have to do with Macs?? I'm damn sure renderware abstracts the render calls, so it can use whatever API available. Otherwise I dont think it would run on a ps2 now would it? The real reason is that renderware doesnt support mac, i think.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:44 AM

Microsoft doesn't have runtimes for DirectX on any other platform. I don't know that much about the underlying systems, but I can imagine to change a compiled executable, even if it is running Renderware, to use an entirely different graphics engine would be close to impossible without documentation.

You would still have to recompile the game from the original source code and tell it to use a different API, like OpenGL. But if the game used a DirectX-only call, it'd be impossible to do it without some major workarounds.

Besides, Windows and Mac executables are completely incompatable, because of (but not limited to) OS support, memory structure and hardware support.

Majestic
  • Majestic

dirty commie

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:22 AM

For portability reasons, the source code of the game uses (or should in theory) renderware calls instead of api calls, and renderware maps these calls to appropritate api, depending on the system (be it xbox or pc or ps2). Renderware doesnt support mac, its not microsoft fault.

I doubt renderware even gives you direct access to the directx device sly.gif

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:05 AM

But wouldn't it still need the appropriate Renderware 'plugin'? I can't imagine Renderware would make executables that had support for every single possible API, just in case.

I'm not trying to blame Microsoft for this, I'm just saying that the problem lies within the executable, and not necessarily Renderware (though it is their fault they don't support Macs, but that's not the main issue at hand).

Majestic
  • Majestic

dirty commie

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:27 AM

I dont think it same executable. You just compile it on different system (or just different flags), and it figures out which api to use. I dunno about 'plugins' however.

of course thats not all that easy, especially if you use shader - i have no idea how they do that. plus i bet rockstar doesnt use renderware out of the box, the obviously screwed with it for quite a bit. so maybe it cannot run with anything else then directx.

Vash the Stampede
  • Vash the Stampede

Legendary Outlaw

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the input, I'll just get virtual PC and hope that it doesn't suck up the majority of the RAM while I try and play. confused.gif

Knightmare = Thanks for the info...in Mianus. tounge.gif

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:59 PM

You should be able to play GTA1 and 2 on a Mac using VPC since they don't require a 3D GFX card.
However GTA3 and VC does require a 3D GFX card and although Macs do come with 3D GFX cards VPC doesn't see them as such.

You can installed DX until the cows come home on a Windows OS running in VPC, I've done it, but games and programs just won't see the card correctly.

user posted image
The Device Manager doesn't even list a monitor.

Vash the Stampede
  • Vash the Stampede

Legendary Outlaw

• Members

Posted 11 May 2005 - 02:57 AM

Meh, I guess I'm going with a RAM upgrade for my PC at home. dozingoff.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users