Slow Loading Textures

31 replies to this topic
murph_fan51
  • murph_fan51

GTA:SA PC- 7.6.05

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:33 AM

Hi All, I've had a look around but can't find any word about it,
In GTA Vice City, there was a major problem with the loading of textures when you switched the frame limiter off. It was basically unplayable, even to a PC with very high system specs. I'm sure most of you can run VC over 30FPS, so it's better with the frame limiter off. Heres a picture..

user posted image

So does anyone know if they have resolved this problem?

Killer_Waffle
  • Killer_Waffle

Thug

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:45 AM

only basing my opinion on the pc/xbox screenshots out there of the game in play,
it seems they have fixed those issues...we'll know for sure in about 30 days though

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:23 AM

Well that problem can be put down to any number of reasons, installing many car mods can have that effect, certain hardware etc. For example when I turn off the frame limiter all I get is a frame rate that jumps around rather then having the textures load slowly as you talk about. So while it is a problem it only comes out at certain times and situations. In regards to SA not having this I'd assume that since SA is yet another step up in the GTA series this problem shouldn't be as much a problem.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci

Posted 07 May 2005 - 03:49 AM

It's easily fixed in Vice City by defragging your hard drive and increasing the amount of streaming memory using the Limits Adjuster.

But I expect with all the improvements they've made to the streaming engine, you shouldn't have to worry about it at all.

murph_fan51
  • murph_fan51

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:11 AM

Well I hope its not a problem in San Andreas.

It is quite annoying. I have a fairly high spec system and no mods currently installed. If I move somewhere that hasn't loaded in the game, it could take a while for the textures to load like buildings and that. But the frame rate stays pretty constant through the whole time, 50+FPS.

I know most people have a problem with this so its definately the game. Also, actually I suppose no one knows, but anyone have any idea wheather Frame Limiter would be in S.A?

Beretta
  • Beretta

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:37 AM

Just don't remove frame limiter ? confused.gif
30 FPS may suck but it still better to play when you actually see objects in the game.

murph_fan51
  • murph_fan51

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:05 AM

Well thats what I've had to do the entire time i've had Vice City. As I said, its basically unplayable.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:16 AM

Woah.. Your computer musn't be that good, because my old desktop, which has a 9800 pro could handle it with lots of mods and the frame limiter off. I think your computer might need a reformatt or defraging like Opie said. BTW if your computer is so good, why are you running at 640x480 confused.gif

murph_fan51
  • murph_fan51

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 09:32 AM

I resized the screenshot to fit on this forum!
I'm running it at 1024x768.
My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1280MB RAM
ATi Radeon 9600SE 128MB

salibaba
  • salibaba

[GL]Salibaba

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:23 PM

I have no idea if this has been done before but I cannot find any topics anywhere to help, Can the framelimiter be adjusted so that it limits to say 50 or 60 frames instead of 30, this may help the problem of slow textures, anyone know if this can be done??

tommy vercetti guy
  • tommy vercetti guy

A fellow canadian

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2005 - 01:47 PM

Somthing you can try:

go to your root derictory of Vice City, and right click on the Vice City Launcher. Click properties then go to compatability and change it to windows 98. It worked for me.

Jordan
  • Jordan

Boss

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 01:58 AM

I'll add this to my list of "things to figure out" when I am at E3 smile.gif

Abadede
  • Abadede

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 05:06 AM

I had that problem when I had a G4 Ti4200. But not anymore with my ATI X800 XT.

Basti
  • Basti

Killerhamster

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 07:43 AM

I think they've fixed it, on PS2 that problem was only if you drive over 200 mp/h on the highway, then sometimes were only the collision files loaded, and the textures were popping up after a few seconds.
So on PC there shouldn't be that problem because the hardware is much better than on PS2.

But it's funny when you suddenly drive nowhere and fall of your bike and you don't know why and then after ~2 seconds you see a wall infront of you biggrin.gif

@d8cam19: They'll have high-end PCs there, so there won't be any problems.

murph_fan51
  • murph_fan51

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 10:10 AM

Yeah I think you're right. Funny thing is, It doesn't do it in GTA3. dozingoff.gif

Samutz
  • Samutz

if ($lol) { die(rofl()); }

• Members

Posted 08 May 2005 - 04:08 PM

Actually, it does for some people. Go check out the GTA3 Troubleshooting forum.

RCagent
  • RCagent

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 06:51 AM

^ The reason it doesn't look that common on GTA3 is because unlike Vice City or San Andreas, GTA3 loads up the ENTIRE AREA you are in other than the only loading buildings and objects in your area.

Oh and yes, the Windows 98 Compatible properties thing works for me. I don't know why, but it does. I think it lowers the demand for LOD textures or models or something.

Citrux
  • Citrux

Supra Racer

• Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (RCagent @ May 9 2005, 06:51)
^ The reason it doesn't look that common on GTA3 is because unlike Vice City or San Andreas, GTA3 loads up the ENTIRE AREA you are in other than the only loading buildings and objects in your area.

Oh and yes, the Windows 98 Compatible properties thing works for me. I don't know why, but it does. I think it lowers the demand for LOD textures or models or something.

yup it works for me too, I just searched on google and found this thread. woo woo

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

I drink and I smash because i love

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (murph_fan51 @ May 7 2005, 03:32)
I resized the screenshot to fit on this forum!
I'm running it at 1024x768.
My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
1280MB RAM
ATi Radeon 9600SE 128MB

there is something seriously wrong then, my dad's laptop(amd athlon 64 3000+, 512mb of ram, geforce 420 GO with 32mb dedicated memory) runs it fine with killerkip's mod installed. there is almost no way you can slow down the game. and this is with the maximum settings available.

davew2040
  • davew2040

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:08 PM

I have this problem as well, with a very fast computer (AMD64 3500+, 1gb PC3700, gf6800 gt). Playing the game with the frame limiter off is impossible. There's the problem with loading textures, and other weird problems like the physics being slightly off, bullet trails lasting for an extremely long time, etc.

The weird thing is, when I run the game at 1600x1200 with 8x antialiasing, so that the game is basically forced to run at 40 or 50 fps, the problem is still there. Even if you're only actually getting 30fps, the game behaves much differently than if you have the frame limiter enabled to force it to be only 30fps. It really smells like sloppy programming to me, and I do hope they've taken steps to make the frame limiter unnecessary (I'm a programmer and I've done a fair amount of work in game programming, so take my word for it when I say that there's no reason at all why this should be necessary, let alone why the user should have an option to turn a frame limiter on or off).

bob the noob
  • bob the noob

Hatesu

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 12:33 AM Edited by bob the noob, 10 May 2005 - 07:57 AM.

pics at 1600x1200 might be slow for some
x6aa fl off 1st pic
2nd 6xaa
x4 aa fl-off
2nd x4aa
(aren't you glad i didn't IMG them into the post) devil.gif
those are from my pc 1600x1200 4xaa and 6xaa i tried to get them in heavy traffic ect and i was going full speed at the time of the pics...(fraps provided the fps lower right)

specs p4 2.8ghz
sapphire radeon 9800xt 256mb
1gb system mem

with frame limiter off i run between 40and 110 fps depending whats going on no slow loading textures unless i'm running more then my normal background programs (like fraps in video cap mode at 60fps while d/l gta stun videos) wink.gif the only problem for me with frame limiter is that when i load a game if it is **EDIT**off... i start to load fine i hear the sound fx you get when you load and the screen sits black at 450fpsfor a long time before loading every thing... i work around it by turning the frame limiter **EDIT**on before i load a game and turning it back **EDIT**off once the game has loaded... but nothing like (again unless i'm running alot more in the background then normal)

user posted image

murph_fan51
  • murph_fan51

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:58 AM

Those pictures aren't showing. But do they show that frame limiter loads slow textures? Or is it ok?

bob the noob
  • bob the noob

Hatesu

• Members

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:53 AM Edited by bob the noob, 10 May 2005 - 09:00 PM.

QUOTE (murph_fan51 @ May 9 2005, 22:58)
Those pictures aren't showing.  But do they show that frame limiter loads slow textures?  Or is it ok?

for me during play it's fine ... looks like the pics all the time with frame limiter off ... again only problem i seem to have witht he frame limiter off is actullying loading the save games ... i dunno why but i have to turn on frame limiter to load the game w/o a problem and back off once the save has loaded **EDIT** i got it backwords when i typed my first post... i have edited should read correct now sorry for the confusion ... i blame the drugs... turn.gif

Davek
  • Davek

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 May 2005 - 09:17 PM

Seriously though, to all you people who are having the slow-texture streaming problem...and haven't tried playing the game in Windows 98 compatibility...PLEASE TRY IT!!!!!! This problem was happening to me with both GTA3 and VC when i disabled the frame limiter, but once i found this solution.....i was then, and ONLY THEN, able to play both games with the a constant fps over 60 and PERFECT streaming of textures!!! The game runs silky smooth now and looks just as nice as it runs. I'm using Windows XP Pro, but have to put the game in Windows 98 compatibility mode for this game to run perfect... i don't know the logic behind this fix.....but IT DOES WORK! All you have to do is find your GTA3\VC shortcut (or actual EXE file in your GTA3\VC main directory) and right-click it, select properties, left-click on the compatibility tab, check- run this program in compatibility mode for: -, and select Windows 98/Windows ME mode, and finally left click on the Apply button...play the game with the fram limiter off, and enjoy the game the way it should be played.

Hope this helps some people lol.gif

salibaba
  • salibaba

[GL]Salibaba

• Members

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:06 PM

HHHOOOLLLYYY SHH******TTTT!!!!!

Davek you are right.

OK I did an experiment last night to see how my card could perfom in its most optimum state I could get it here is what I did.

running on windows xp home with SP2 rest of my specs are in sig

I set AA to 8X, set AF to 16X, turned on force mipmaps (not too sure what this does exactly but it sounded good lol).
next I closed all processes that I could, Anit-virus, the lot; only the bear essential that runs when you boot windows for the first time after a format before you add things to the startup(progs n crap).
Ran VC @ 1024x768x32 on a single monitor and frame limiter off
I went around VC (used fraps to tell me fps) and when I benchmarked it, I got a result of: min10 max82 average56 after about ten minutes of playing. As you would expect I was seeing pop-in all over the place, I used the water cheat to go to the 2nd island and it took about 30 seconds+ for the roads to load!

I read this thread about 30mins ago and was thinking yea, sure, as if that would work, I decided to humor myself, I ran the game with the exact settings as above but this time I ran it with the compatibility mode on and set to windows 98. You know what is coming, thats right - no pop-in whatsoever!!! I couldnt belive it, something this small fixed like that. I didnt benchmark it but I had the fraps overlay running, and I never once saw it drop below 30fps, It was averaging out at around 60 - 70 so something somewhere makes a difference, I dont know why but take this guys advice and turn on that compatibility mode. I scoured the entire map looking for pop-in but could not find any sign of it, I went to the island from prawn to 2nd and used the water cheat to go round to the stadium ( barrier was up cos of new game) , I noticed the first and only pop-in when the game loaded the 2nd island I looked towards prawn using "E" and almost immediatly the texture for the Island loaded. If thats not a Huge leap from what I had before then I dont know what the heck is.

PS, Ive also given my gta-vc.exe alot of ram to eat up with the thanks to Steve.m and his limit adjuster. I think im letting it have 160MB and it only gets 45MB by default. ( this was present in both cases above)

murph_fan51
  • murph_fan51

• Members

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:32 AM

Ok, after 2 or so years with the game, I tried the Windows 98/ME compatibility and now, it works amzingly fine, with 40-70FPS average. I have no problem whatsoever with slow loading textures. GREAT!!!

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:11 AM

Ha you know your right, it did resolve any sort of slow loading textures and this is in my heavily modified Vice with many high-poly car models driving around which is a big cause for textures not loading. Like you salib I have my game setup with more memory using the Limit Adjuster.

GTAGuy
  • GTAGuy

Muten Roshi

• Members

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:54 AM

Strangely enough that lately whenever I try to load a saved game with Frame Limiter off, with or without Win98 Compatibility mode, the saved game simply will not load, or will take in excess of about 5 minutes to finally load. When Frame Limiter is on, everything is fine. If I load the game with FL on, and then turn it off, the whole game starts screwing up. Camera angles go haywire, the Skimmer absolutely refuses to fly, etc... I've tried this on a modded AND unmodded copy of VC. It didn't used to do this until I reinstalled VC. Perhaps my GTA-VC.exe is slightly corrupted? I have it set to 96mb of streaming memory on the modded copy. Or perhaps its my GTAVC.set file? Maybe I should let the game create one before I mod the streaming memory in the exe... Any help would be appreciated smile.gif

davew2040
  • davew2040

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (GTAGuy @ May 22 2005, 10:54)
Strangely enough that lately whenever I try to load a saved game with Frame Limiter off, with or without Win98 Compatibility mode, the saved game simply will not load, or will take in excess of about 5 minutes to finally load. When Frame Limiter is on, everything is fine. If I load the game with FL on, and then turn it off, the whole game starts screwing up. Camera angles go haywire, the Skimmer absolutely refuses to fly, etc... I've tried this on a modded AND unmodded copy of VC. It didn't used to do this until I reinstalled VC. Perhaps my GTA-VC.exe is slightly corrupted? I have it set to 96mb of streaming memory on the modded copy. Or perhaps its my GTAVC.set file? Maybe I should let the game create one before I mod the streaming memory in the exe... Any help would be appreciated smile.gif

The problem is that the frame limiter in Vice City is broken, plain and simple. I'm glad for the people who claim it works fine for them, but for most people it behaves terribly.

Link_BaconBitz
  • Link_BaconBitz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:31 AM

I've had this problem with GTA 3 and Vice City, but very rarely did it happen. Not enough to go searching for a fix though. As for the frame limiter, I don't know why people would want to turn it off, the game runs smooth as silk anyways for me if it's on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users