Photo

Wireless Router Problems

10 replies to this topic
millermagic
  • millermagic

The CCR Fan

• Members

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:15 PM

I got a linksys wireless b broadband router. When I first got it, it worked great, but that was before I tried anything fancy with it. 2 months after I got it, I changed the wireless network name from lynksys to something else and enabled MAC filtering. That only worked for about a week, and then I would loose connection all the time and the only way for me to fix it was to restart/put my computer in standby and start it back up or reset the router continiously. I emailed the linksys tech support and they did give me a quick response about upgrading the firmware, but that only lasted a day before it started acting up again. I'm completely stumped now, it won't let me connect for only a few minutes before cutting me off. Any suggestions as to what I can do.

Also, I have winxp on the wireless computer and winme on the wired one. I'd like to transfer about 1gb of files from the wireless onto the wired computer. How would I go about setting the 2 up so they talk through the router?

jersiq
  • jersiq

Division By Zero

• Members

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:26 PM

Are you using DHCP on the router? Have you tried using Static IP?

LINKSYS STATIC IP support
I have sometime seen issues where DHCP lease renewals aren't handled properly. The portion for doing Static IP on the router should be in the manual

MegaVovaN
  • MegaVovaN

GTA:LC hoster

• Members

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:28 PM

Also, I have winxp on the wireless computer and winme on the wired one. I'd like to transfer about 1gb of files from the wireless onto the wired computer. How would I go about setting the 2 up so they talk through the router?

Assuming they are connected to same router, go to Control Panel > Network Connections, and set it up. On both PCs. Make sure you give same workgroup name on both PCs. On wireless PC, right click on folder with files, choose "Sharing and security" tab and enable sharign of this folder. Then go to My Network Places on wired PC and see folder with files from wireless there.
This way u can transfer unlimited amout of data.

P.S. When Win will ask u to create floppy (on network setup) - u dont need it.

millermagic
  • millermagic

The CCR Fan

• Members

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:39 PM

I've set everything up and still can't get it to work. Is there a program that I can download so I can transfer them to each other?

MegaVovaN
  • MegaVovaN

GTA:LC hoster

• Members

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:47 PM Edited by MegaVovaN, 06 May 2005 - 11:52 PM.

Yes, you can download program.
FTP!

U need FTP Server on one comp and FTP Client on other.
Server (trial 30 days):
http://archive.digit...om/ftpsetup.exe

Client (free):
http://smartftp.com/get/SFTPMSI.exe

On server, set up user, pass, home directory, and acess rights.
On client, connect to the IP of comp with server (enter IP where it says "yoursite.com") and enter login and pass)
P.S. U dont need "groups" feature.

EDIT:
Forgot...disable firewalls on both PCs for FTP to work.

millermagic
  • millermagic

The CCR Fan

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:05 AM

I've entered a username and password on both and it still aint' working. I'm gonna end up having to take the HD out of the one computer and copying them that way arn't I?

Lobo.
  • Lobo.

Man Whore

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 02:06 AM

As for the connectivity problem, I had the same problem. Linksys routers are crap. They have gone down the shiiter the past year or so. My theory on the connectivity loss is that the router over heats, and just stops working. I left my router on 24/7/365 and I always had to either reset the router itself, or pull the PC Card out of my laptop and let it cool. I also noticed a sh*t load of packet loss when I left the router on alot. So maybe try turning off the router at night when you go to bed, let it cool off a little. But eh, I switched to DLink and havent had any problems at all with the connection. But I bet thats bound to change, I dont think any router is really meant to be left on all the time.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:55 AM

What is the model number of the router?

Hamburger
  • Hamburger

Yes It's me

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:06 AM

Hi netgear.

segosa
  • segosa

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 May 2005 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (millermagic @ May 7 2005, 02:05)
I've entered a username and password on both and it still aint' working. I'm gonna end up having to take the HD out of the one computer and copying them that way arn't I?

If you're having that many problems, try transfer through MSN Messenger. If you're lucky it'll transfer through a direct connection and go very fast, if not, too bad.

millermagic
  • millermagic

The CCR Fan

• Members

Posted 07 May 2005 - 07:42 PM

I just set it up for static. I thought there was more involved than just putting the ip's and stuff in the computer.

Now that I can stay connected for more than 2 seconds I'm gonna try th ewindows file transferring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users