Photo

Willow and Star Wars

4 replies to this topic
mykellhorror
  • mykellhorror

Hi. I'm Michael.

• Members

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:25 PM

While I was watching Willow (story and exec produced by George Lucas) I came upon a startling discovery: the story is shockingly similar to that of Star Wars. Willow is about a dwarf farmer in a dwarf land who wants to become a wizard. Star Wars is about a young farmboy who wants to become a Jedi. A Jedi is basically a wizard. Some resemblance? Slightly, but there's more. Willow comes upon a "giant" (read: normal sized) baby from a far away land. Later, an old wizard (similar to Ben Kenobi, only dwarf) tells him this child is important and must be taken back to her own giant-land. He sets out to find someone who can help him. At the crossroad of dwarf-land and giant-land is a man in a cage- Mad Martigan! He's "a scoundrel" played by Val Kilmer and I wouldn't doubt it if they originally had Harrison Ford in mind for the part. He's so much like Han Solo. Anyways they meet up with two little "brownies" who pick locks and talk a lot- Like C-3p0 and R2-D2. A big farie tells them the baby is a princess destined to take the throne from the otherwise immortal evil queen. So Willow has to save the princess and restore freedom to the... land. The right-hand man to the evil queen is this baddie who wears a mask that you can't help but think "Vader?" when you see him. Eventually the group meet up with the Yoda figure. When they get to their safety they find that the entire place has been destroyed- like Alderan. When the evil queen dies it looks a lot like the emperor's death (electricity- no fall) Anyways- this is a horrible summary but next time you watch Willow have this topic in mind. You'll see what I'm talking about. there's more that I left out for now; but basically for every character in Willow there's a counterpart in Star Wars. Willow's a great movie anyways and is a million times better than Episode 1

In a 1988 featurette of Willow George Lucas says "Well, Willow's sorta been in my mind for 15 years"

memento27oasis
  • memento27oasis

Peon

• Members

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:39 AM

I saw a similarity between Willow and Lord of the Rings:

..many races of beings
..cool human heroes
..love interests for humans
..one ring and one child
..evil wizards
..old wizards
..epic battles
..beasts
..hobbits/pecks
..long journey
..it's up to one hobbit/peck to save the day
..good guys win
..spirits giving help/advice/visions

wow, those films are more alike than I thought. sh*t, Lucas is a theif.

Big Slow
  • Big Slow

<3 629

• The Connection

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:25 AM

I didn't know Lucas wrote Willow. I still love them both.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:59 AM

It's really not that surprising that a person who wrote one screen play, would have simular characters/plot lines. Plus this is really old news. I read a reveiw of willow, that talked about this, and was fairly old. Episode 1 may not be (in your opinion) as good as willow, but all the star wars movies as a whole, the way they should be watched, is better.

Asmodeus
  • Asmodeus

Defunct the Strings

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 May 2005 - 09:07 AM

That, my friends, is testament to Lucas' extreme intelligence when it comes to marketing and selling a product. Few men could take the same idea that's been done like 5 times before and make an entirely new film out of it that gains quite some success. Now we have the 3 Star Wars prequels, damn that man can sell!

I read today that Lucasfilm has made like $9 Billion off Star Wars merchandise since it was first released!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users