Photo

Is it worth getting an Xbox,

27 replies to this topic
~Neon~
  • ~Neon~

Hmmm...

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

I have recently reinstalled Halo on my PC and I just love it. I was going to wait to get Halo 2 for PC, but that could take ages to come out, and my PC will not play it very well, so I thought maybe I should buy an Xbox.

It costs about £80 for a second hand console plus about 30 for the game. So I would be spanding around £110+ just for Halo 2. Im not too sure there are that many other games I would be interested in apart from Halo 1 and 2. I just dont dont buy that many games. I mean, you should just see my current game collection for PS2; GTA III, Vice and San andreas. Oh and I got Timesplitters 3 just for online play which I think is amazing. Thats another reason why I like Halo 2, Online play, but again its going to cost to get it online aswell.

So basicly, is it worth spending this amount of money on Halo 2? Does the game have good replay value? I know I like to play Halo 1 again every now and then. What do you think?

Slick Willy
  • Slick Willy

Grandpa

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:04 PM

No. Not for me at least. I bought Halo 2 the day it came out and I traded it in without even finishing it. Didn't do much for me. However there are many other great games for Xbox but I think it's best to just wait for the next-gen consoles.

cinji
  • cinji

DAMNIT

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:09 PM

Agreed.

Halo 2 didn't appeal to me at all either. It is slow, awkward to control and is basically a chore to play. Avoid.

~Neon~
  • ~Neon~

Hmmm...

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:17 PM

Hmmm, well they are just your opinions, but I cant compare it to my opinion as I havent played it. Did you like Halo 1? Because if you didnt then you will have different tastes in games to me. Did any of you play online as well with it?

Slick Willy
  • Slick Willy

Grandpa

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:20 PM

I adored Halo 1, played it many times through and got it on PC as well. Halo 2 just didn't do it for me.

cinji
  • cinji

DAMNIT

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:29 PM

I have played both extensively and considered the first as equally sh*t as the second.

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:39 PM

No, unless you plan on getting Xbox live and/or have many friends. It's very short....in Mianus.

Rocketkiller
  • Rocketkiller

E36 FTW

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

Halo 1 in my opinion is alot better than 2. The only good thing about Halo 2 are plasma swords.

Soldier
  • Soldier

Go Vols

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:55 PM

I played and beat Halo 1. I didnt want to beat it but a friend kind of forced me into it. I found it be almost a chore b/c it really isn't my type of game. I dont like the whole "Oh watch out or ill shoot you with my laser or stick my plasma grenada to your face" thing. I'm more of the type to get an Ak-47 or Deagle and go kill sh*t, which is why I play Rainbow Six.

I heard from a number of people that you simply couldn't beat Halo 2 online, so I rented it. I played it for about 10 minutes and decided the game is garbage. It takes forever to kill someone b/c their health regenerates, and you cant choose your weapon so you really can't specialize in anything. Personally, I don't think Halo is anything big. There are many many games on Xbox that are better. I think people just buy into the hype and claim that Halo is the best of all time simply because that's what everyone says including the makers.

This is all my opinion, but I share it with many people.

yngve
  • yngve

Jvla Hrdrock.

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:06 PM

I borrowed Halo 2 and an Xbox from a friend, I played the first 3 or 4 levels, and I must say I think it was greatly overrated. I just didn't find it fun at all.

However I did not care much for the original Halo either, so if you were a fan of the first game, chances are you would like the second one as well.

~Neon~
  • ~Neon~

Hmmm...

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (Soldier @ May 3 2005, 19:55)
I think people just buy into the hype and claim that Halo is the best of all time simply because that's what everyone says including the makers.

I understand what you are saying there. But if that was the case, I would have brought an Xbox on its release or for xmas. I am not claming I like Halo because every one else is. I like halo 1 because I found out about it on my own after time and just realy like it, hype or no hype. Thats why I was asking if there was anybody here who likes halo 1 alot that could give me there opinions on it.

Also, what other 1st person shooters or action games are out on Xbox that I might like? I am still thinking of getting one, so I could at least get some other games just in case I dont like Halo 2.

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (rocketkiller @ May 3 2005, 18:40)
Halo 1 in my opinion is alot better than 2. The only good thing about Halo 2 are plasma swords.

I f*cking hate you and everybody like you.

Halo 2 is a damn good game, but only online.. The storyline was such a let-down. Not worth solely buying an XBox for, but you should get one, and some other games..

~Neon~
  • ~Neon~

Hmmm...

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (EmSixTeen @ May 3 2005, 21:15)

Halo 2 is a damn good game, but only online.. The storyline was such a let-down. Not worth solely buying an XBox for, but you should get one, and some other games..

At last, some good possative feedback. I would certanly get Xbox Live after some time when I can get some spare cash to get it. I might just buy one with Halo 2 and a few other games, then make do with the story and multiplayer for a little while.

Can somebody give me more info on Xbox Live. Like how much it costs and stuff. I also understand that you have to pay to play online, whats the cost of this, how offten do you have to pay, will they steel random money off me at any time for random crap???

Abel Voicu
  • Abel Voicu

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:14 PM

Halo is soooooo overrated sarcasm.gif

Psyche. I've loved Halo ever since the first one came out. I like Halo 2 better than the first because all of its additions. Dual-weilding is the best addition in my opinion. It adds a lot more depth to the strategies you use. Multiplayer is also a lot of fun and so is online play.

But for my answer to your question:

NO

Wait for Xbox 2. Most likely it will have backwards compatibilty. Just wait until May 12 when they show off the Xbox 2 on MTV and then we'll know whether or not it's backward compatible. If it is, wait and buy an Xbox 2. If it isn't, buy an xbox because halo 2 isnt the only good game on it. There's Jade Empire, Splinter Cell 3, Forza Motorsport, etc.

Xbox Live costs $50 a year last time I checked. The starter pack, which is a must if you're starting out, is around $70 or so. The starter pack comes with a 1 year sub, the xbox live communicator, and Crimson Skies (or some other game depending where and which one you get). When you sign-up you need to enter a credit card number in case you want to buy extra content. No they will not charge you randomly. The sub that you buy from the store has a code thats good for 12 months. After the 12 months they start charging you $6 a month, or you can buy a new $50 sub and enter the new code.

Some developers offer you extra content for games over live. Sometimes it's free and sometimes you have to pay $5 or more. For example, you can get the Ninja Gaiden Hurricane Pack which is free but it adds a lot of replay value to the game. For Project Gotham 2, you can download additional cars and cities (released in packs) which cost $5.

Alternatively, you can get the 3-month starter pack which has all the standard stuff, but for $40, I'd rather pay 30 extra and keep my sub for 1 year. Most live-enabled games give you a free 2-month trial that you can use once per account. After the 2 months you pay $6 a month.

Hope this answered you question smile.gif

RearEndCollision
  • RearEndCollision

Lucid Dreams.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (EmSixTeen @ May 3 2005, 14:15)

Em hit the nail on the head on this one. Halo 2 is best on Xbox live, and that's the only place where it should be played. Now, on the issue of getting an Xbox, I'd say yes, because I have both a PS2 and an Xbox, and aside from playing the occasional DVD, my PS2 gets no use. Xbox is worth picking up, and Halo 2 is just icing on the cake.

Mark }{
  • Mark }{

The Original Numba One Trish Fan...

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:25 PM

Do not get an X-Box solely for Halo 2. In my opinion, that game is boring for single player action. There's no surprises, nothing to jump out and scare you, and honestly, the story is pretty weak. Its my opinion though, so take it for what you will. However, the X-Box does have a lot, and I mean a lot, more to offer then that. And, all of the games that have dual console titles (Sports series, NFS series) are usually better on the X-Box. Not to mention there's no pesky need for memory cards, and custom soundtracks to use in games. In my opinion, the X-Box is just a stronger console.

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (~Neon~ @ May 3 2005, 20:40)
At last, some good possative feedback. I would certanly get Xbox Live after some time when I can get some spare cash to get it. I might just buy one with Halo 2 and a few other games, then make do with the story and multiplayer for a little while.

Can somebody give me more info on Xbox Live. Like how much it costs and stuff. I also understand that you have to pay to play online, whats the cost of this, how offten do you have to pay, will they steel random money off me at any time for random crap???[/b][/color]

Alright, well, the two games you should definitely get if you get an XBox are Halo 2 and Project Gotham Racing 2 (and Forza when it comes out). I advise you to get Live immediately, it enhances the playability of all your games infinitely.

As for Live itself, in the UK it costs 40 for a starter pack, which includes: 1 years subscription, your headset and a couple of defunct demos. Considering a years subscription on its own costs 40, that's good. You need a credit card to sign up, but only for verification and if you want to purchase paid download content later (note, it takes out 50p to verify, but then puts it back in) You don't need to pay anything more, until your year runs out. You can however buy paid download packs, for instance some maps in Raindbow Six 3, but you don't have to, and there are usually some free ones too. The only PDC I bought was both of PGR2's cities/car packs. It automatically re-subsribes you when it runs out, but that'd be a year away and you just cancel it beforehand if you don't want it to.

I can't be bothere writing more, just ask questions and I'll answer.

~Neon~
  • ~Neon~

Hmmm...

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:44 PM

Thanks alot for all that info. The only reson I said I wanted one just for Halo 2 was because thats the only reason right now for getting one. I would still use it in the future for new games, Im not gonna just leave it sitting there am I?

And about that Next-Gen console stuff. I am a Playstation gamer at heart so the PS3 is the way for me. The only way I would ever get an Xbox 360 is if this same situation happens again in a few years and Next-Next-Gen consoles are about to come out which means Next-Gen are cheep. If you know what I mean.

Anyway. Im pritty sure I will be picking up an Xbox some time next month.

Im off to bed now, I will post back if I have any more questions yawn.gif.

Made
  • Made

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:52 PM Edited by Made0402, 03 May 2005 - 09:55 PM.

I personally liked Halo2 more not story wise though, but gameplay wise. I loved playing through the levels with the exception with the last Master Chief level. I haven't played it on Xbox Live, but my friend said it's good on there. As for prices, I think it's $60 for a starter kit and subscription for the year. After that I believe it's $5 a month.

Other games you should check out. Ninja Gaiden (only played the demo but it was good), Splinter Cell, Project Gotham 2. As well as others. Go for Xbox, I play it more than my PS2. Or just wait for Xbox 360, or whatever it's going to be called, it's out in a couple of months if your still intrested in playing Halo 2. I think it will have backwards compability.

Spankee
  • Spankee

• Members

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:38 AM

If you are gonna get Halo 2 you have to get Xbox Live. No questions asked. The game is only good if you have live. Oh and if you get it and want someone to play with just PM me and i will add you.

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:08 AM

There is not one game on any console that is worth buying the console for. There needs to be at least a small handful of stellar games that would convince me to shell out big bucks on a console.

~Neon~
  • ~Neon~

Hmmm...

• Members

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (40ozFreak @ May 4 2005, 08:08)
There is not one game on any console that is worth buying the console for. There needs to be at least a small handful of stellar games that would convince me to shell out big bucks on a console.

Meh, I brought a PS2 just for GTA Vice City. Now I only have GTA for it, apart from the odd game here and there which I allways end up taking back for another. So an Xbox will be the same.

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (~Neon~ @ May 4 2005, 15:21)
QUOTE (40ozFreak @ May 4 2005, 08:08)

Meh, I brought a PS2 just for GTA Vice City. Now I only have GTA for it, apart from the odd game here and there which I allways end up taking back for another. So an Xbox will be the same.

If that's the case, do as I did - Sell your PS2 and get the GTA(s) on XBox.

Dasutin
  • Dasutin

Forum Teddy Bear

• Members

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (EmSixTeen @ May 3 2005, 15:15)

I agree with you, but that's why I would say it's not worth getting an Xbox for just this game. If you plan on getting Xbox Live, then it would be a good investment for you, but if you're planning on hours of story-mode fun... just pass on Xbox, and hold out of the Xbox 360.

Yuck Fou
  • Yuck Fou

<3 Mar

• Members

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:35 AM

Anyone who tells you to avoid Halo 2 all together is just an idiot. It's a f*cking great game. Yes, it really shines online, but the single player is pretty f*cking great as well. Not worth buying a system for, but I don't think a game exists like that.

Me and myf riends used to get together and network 4 Xboxes and have 16 player Halo 2 matches for like... hours... every month or so. Great fun.

gannonroader
  • gannonroader

I'm the guy that sings Aicha.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:10 AM

Halo 2 may have been the biggest letdown in gaming history. What a flopper. It was sooooooooo boring, but yet, so polished looking???? You would've thought they'd made a little better game for the time it took too. Serious man, keep playing halo 1 and forget halo 2 even exists.

Yuck Fou
  • Yuck Fou

<3 Mar

• Members

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (gannonroader @ May 4 2005, 21:10)
Halo 2 may have been the biggest letdown in gaming history. What a flopper. It was sooooooooo boring, but yet, so polished looking???? You would've thought they'd made a little better game for the time it took too. Serious man, keep playing halo 1 and forget halo 2 even exists.

I take it you've never played multiplayer Halo 2?

~Neon~
  • ~Neon~

Hmmm...

• Members

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:58 PM

Meh, I guess its just like Marmite, you love it or you hate it. So the only thing I could do is just get an xbox and just give it a go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users