» «
Photo

Max Payne 2

17 replies to this topic
imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:00 PM Edited by ImHereToStay, 29 April 2005 - 08:55 PM.

user posted image

Developer: Remedy

Homepage: Official Max Payne 2 homepage

Demo: Max Payne 2 Demo

Learning time: 10 minutes.

Platform: PC

Screenshots:
This image clearly shows the optimized character details in the sequel. This is the new Max.
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Intro: The minute i completed Max Payne, i knew that i had to get a sequel, for i was addicted, and wanted, needed, to find out more about Max Payne. How they were going to continue the story, i had no idea of, but i had my ideas. I was waiting for this, and one day, i was in the city, and saw it in a store. I bought it immediately, rushed home, installed, and was amazed.

Graphics: Let's start from the beginning. The graphics in Max Payne 1 were a huge step forward for it's time.
In Max Payne 2, it's even better! The graphics are awesome, with extremely detailed chracter models, moving lips, and great animations. As a member of these forums said in the topic for my review of Max Payne, the "dark" theme isnt there anymore. Probably because the snowstorm is gone. The snowstorm combined with the night in Max Payne gave the player a great feeling when playing the game. Well, i gotta say, i liked the graphics in both very much. Max Payne had great graphics for a game at that time, and Max Payne 2 had great graphics for a game of it's time, so it's really 50/50.

Sounds: In Max Payne 2 the sounds have drasticly changed. Of course the voice actors are the same, but they are just better. The guns sound much better now too, and the enemies scream things at you while in combat. Some people might disagree, but when i was playing the last part of the game, and the sad music came on, i felt so f*cking great, it made me love this game.

Gameplay: The famous bullet-time and sideward, frontward, and backward jumps are all back. Rag-doll effects have been added to the game, which gives the game a much greater feeling, and makes it a much more pleasure to shoot people high construction site buildings, throughout apartment windows, or just blowing theyre heads off with the shotgun to see them be ripped away. Every single item can be moved around by either shooting it or pushing it, which is really fun. Useful, too. I had an episode where i was standing next to some explosive barrels, while being shot at from below. I pushed the barrels over the edge and down to the enemies, thereafter i threw a grenade to them. Boom-ratatada-boom. There are also plenty of new ways to kill your enemies, with petrol tanks, ammo boxes, and a meele option, that allows you to hit enemies with your gun if they get to close. The theme of the game, is still a very sad story, mixed with a beretta's gunfire, and a angry man and his psycho girlfriend - what more could you want from a game?

Additional comments: Maybe it's just because im a Max Payne fanatic, but i love this game. I love it more than any game i have ever played before. This game and the previous one, are simply, the deepest, best, most replayable and enjoyable shooters you can get. I almost cried playing this.

Overall rating: 9.5

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

OG

• United-States

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:08 PM

Again, why don't you say which version you're reviewing? PC? Xbox? PS2? Nonetheless, nice reviews.

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 29 April 2005 - 02:39 AM

Great review IHTS. smile.gif

I really wish they make another sequel.

loseruser
  • loseruser

Walking disease.

• Members

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:39 AM

QUOTE (PresidentKiller @ Apr 28 2005, 21:39)

I remember them saying they are planning on it. What do you reckon is left in the story to tell? It'd be a weird twist if he actually had a happy life.

SPOILER! OMG

If you beat the game on each difficulty level, you'll get the secret ending, in which Mona does not die but she simply gets up when Max gets done killing the boss dude and they lock into a kiss. Fade out. The end? Since it was sort of a secret ending, how could they expect all of their fans to know what's going on if 98% of the people who play the game don't beat it 100%?

Anyway, great review, and it's a few years late, you know that? wink.gif I loved the whole Max Payne series, but I thought the first one was the best because of the dark atmosphere. It was hard as f*ck but I beat it six times nonetheless. One of the best games evar.

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (loseruser @ Apr 28 2005, 22:39)
What do you reckon is left in the story to tell? It'd be a weird twist if he actually had a happy life.

SPOILER! OMG

*Some spoilers*

Anyway, great review, and it's a few years late, you know that? wink.gif I loved the whole Max Payne series, but I thought the first one was the best because of the dark atmosphere. It was hard as f*ck but I beat it six times nonetheless. One of the best games evar.

I don't know... they could work something out.

And I knew the thing about the alternate ending. The "damsel in distress" thing at the very beginning of the game makes sense after finding it out.

And yes, one of the best games ever. rah.gif

RearEndCollision
  • RearEndCollision

Lucid Dreams.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:00 AM

Wow, another review, this is great. I'm loving it. smile.gif

GTA's Rocky
  • GTA's Rocky

Asian dude...

• Members

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:11 AM

Love it, man! Nice review!

Maybe you can play his son... wow.gif

imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE (loseruser @ Apr 29 2005, 04:39)
QUOTE (PresidentKiller @ Apr 28 2005, 21:39)

I remember them saying they are planning on it. What do you reckon is left in the story to tell? It'd be a weird twist if he actually had a happy life.

SPOILER! OMG

If you beat the game on each difficulty level, you'll get the secret ending, in which Mona does not die but she simply gets up when Max gets done killing the boss dude and they lock into a kiss. Fade out. The end? Since it was sort of a secret ending, how could they expect all of their fans to know what's going on if 98% of the people who play the game don't beat it 100%?

Yeah, im wondering about that too.

@xcom. f*ck man, i always forget. Sorry, ill add it now.

@GTARock. He doesnt have any children. His only son was killed in the first game

jazz.
  • jazz.

waffen

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:49 AM

Max Payne 2 owns. One of the best games I ever played.

Good review.

GTA's Rocky
  • GTA's Rocky

Asian dude...

• Members

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:22 AM

@ImHereToStay-Yes I know that but isn't that Mona alive in that new ending? maybe they will.... Ok it is lame... dontgetit.gif

How about a prequel? smile.gif

imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 29 April 2005 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (GTA's Rocky @ Apr 29 2005, 10:22)
@ImHereToStay-Yes I know that but isn't that Mona alive in that new ending? maybe they will.... Ok it is lame... dontgetit.gif

How about a prequel? smile.gif

Yes, but only few people are bothered to complete the game again, at a higher difficulty level too, as most people just jump to the levels they want to play. The alternative ending is therefore the 'secondary' ending, and the in the primary one she dies. If they used her survival as a priary endin,g many people would be confused, and start whining about too complicated and stuff.

The prequel thing isnt dumb, maybe they could just give us a game that shows us the time when Max was in the D.E.A.
He left the D.E.A. in the sequel, and joined NYPD instead, so that could be used.

A random photo from me trying out the Matrix mod for Max Payne.

user posted image

GTA's Rocky
  • GTA's Rocky

Asian dude...

• Members

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:02 PM

Nice!
You play for 3 hours!?

Hey I have one but it don't have the bullet thing, where you get this mod?

jazz.
  • jazz.

waffen

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (GTA's Rocky @ Apr 29 2005, 12:02)

You play for 3 hours!?

....And?

3 hours is long ?! nervous.gif

Holy crap, I must be crazy then, I played settlers 2 for 5 hours yesterday.

PCJ.
  • PCJ.

Shaggy

• Members

Posted 29 April 2005 - 03:58 PM

Nice review, I'm not sure if the graphics were a 9 rating, maybe 8, but thats your opinion.
I too, love the Max Payne series, it's one of the few games I'll play after finishing it once already.

imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 29 April 2005 - 04:47 PM Edited by ImHereToStay, 29 April 2005 - 05:19 PM.

QUOTE (pcj1200 @ Apr 29 2005, 16:58)
Nice review, I'm not sure if the graphics were a 9 rating, maybe 8, but thats your opinion.
I too, love the Max Payne series, it's one of the few games I'll play after finishing it once already.

user posted image

When you play the game you really think they are friggin awesome. install the game again and try. I played for a coule of hours this morning, and i mean, you see the bullets flying and all. Man, i love this game.

@gta rocky. No, that's 3 minutes.
@jazz. He thought that i had survived for 3 hours on the Dead Man Walking level. It's a level where enemies constantly respawn faster and faster as you survive a long time.

jazz.
  • jazz.

waffen

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:20 PM

I know what Dead Man walking is..I thought that was a counter for how long you played the mod or something.

I need to buy this game again inlove.gif
Oct made me cool.

imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:33 PM Edited by ImHereToStay, 29 April 2005 - 08:56 PM.

Yeah, you really do wink.gif .

Update: Added screenshots.

GTA's Rocky
  • GTA's Rocky

Asian dude...

• Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:31 AM

Great now I feel stupid... suicidal.gif

I need to install it again....

"My hero....I could kiss you!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users