» «
Photo

Paid webhosting

16 replies to this topic
MiNdLeSs
  • MiNdLeSs

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:07 AM Edited by MiNdLeSs, 28 April 2005 - 01:17 AM.

I'm going to get some cheap webhosting for my stuff. I'm planning on getting Godaddy, but i do not know if they are that good. With a domain, 1yr hosting, and privacy thing (so everyone cant see what name and address my domain is linked to), it comes to 3.18 a month. that is very cheap. is there a catch to godaddy or would you recomend it.

edit: basic plan, 500mb space, 25 gigs of transfer

G twenty-nine
  • G twenty-nine

• Members

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:33 AM

I hate you... totalchoicehosting.com
Oh yeah...IN THE PANTS!

Johnno
  • Johnno

WD&P Ogre

• Members

Posted 28 April 2005 - 01:54 AM

Try eBay... $10/year for unlimited space and bandwidth.

MiNdLeSs
  • MiNdLeSs

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (Johnno @ Apr 28 2005, 01:54)
Try eBay... $10/year for unlimited space and bandwidth.

Thanks for this sugestion. I'm gonna go with http://www.prolinkhosting.com/ . Very cheap for unlimited dosc space/bw

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Gone Fishin'

• None

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:45 AM

There's no such thing as "unlimited" space or "unlimited" bandwidth. Everything has it's limits, and I'd much rather go with a company that is up front about their prices and features rather than an overhyped, marketing-rich provider that uses buzzwords to outline it's hosting packages. confused.gif

Of course, I haven't researched hosting packages extensively (I prefer to hop from free provider to free provider, no need for a pay host yet), but I have a particular favouring for GoDaddy.com. Probably due to their igenious marketing strategy of treating their customers like real people. music.gif

Anywho, good luck with Prolink. turn.gif

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:10 AM

The hosting company I went with is pretty good.
Treat me good and are cheap.

http://www.shyper.com/

Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:12 AM Edited by Barbaneez, 30 April 2005 - 02:49 AM.

Tsuroki is right, there isn't such thing as "unlimited", however, there is "unmetered". But chances are if you went through 20 gigs of bandwidth a day on one of those $10 annual hosts - they'd give you the boot anyways, despite their "unlimited bandwidth" claim. "Unlimited space" is even more impossible than the "unlimited bandwidth" part.

I'd say one of the better, more-popular, a bit wholesale in their prices, and one of the more stable hosts is probably Block9Hosting.net. At least I would have to say that after all of the testimonials I have read, as well as the people I personally know who go with them and constantly say "they are the best host".

@Mindless: I have a few tricks up my sleeve to save about $4.00 off GoDaddy on any new domain you register. Let me know if you want them wink.gif. Unless of course you already bought the domain.

Also, always check and read over reviews about hosting companies before you purchase from them! Most hosts have a "testimonials" page on their site, but if not, you can find reviews and such at some of these sites for example:Sure, investigating may take some time - but it's better than throwing your money away to some completely unreliable host, is it not?

Tsuroki
  • Tsuroki

Gone Fishin'

• None

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:25 AM

I hate people like you, Barb. But I might bug you for a discount off a godaddy domain. tounge.gif

Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:40 AM

Chances are you're not the only one who could use it tounge.gif.
I'll go write a quick guide on it.

G twenty-nine
  • G twenty-nine

• Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:33 AM

I hate you... What is wrong with Total Choice Hosting? They are great. Cheap, good service, what more do you want?..IN THE PANTS!

Johnno
  • Johnno

WD&P Ogre

• Members

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:26 AM

Unlimited hosting can be compared to an all you can eat buffet.
There is no enforced maximum, but obviously there is a limit.

MiNdLeSs
  • MiNdLeSs

Hustler

• Members

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:56 PM Edited by MiNdLeSs, 01 May 2005 - 09:00 PM.

I know that there is no "unlimited" limit, but i am not gonna use all that much bandwidth a month, mabye around 30 gigs (at the most) a month. I actually haven't ordered it yet because i was looking into ratings and other things. Thanks for those review sites barbaneez. how would i go about saving money when i register a new domain?
Edit: it's not the webspace amount that matters to me 500mb-1000 would be plenty. its just the useage a month

Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 02 May 2005 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (MiNdLeSs)
I actually haven't ordered it yet because i was looking into ratings and other things.
Which host is it you were thinking about going with? ProLinkHosting as you had mentioned earlier?
QUOTE (MiNdLeSs)
Thanks for those review sites barbaneez.
No problem.
QUOTE (MiNdLeSs)
how would i go about saving money when i register a new domain?
Check here wink.gif

MiNdLeSs
  • MiNdLeSs

Hustler

• Members

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:24 AM

I'm thinking about going with prolink. i was looking at webhosting choice under the scam section and there were thing slike unlimited space/bandwidth. also, there was a % usage of the server. in Prolink's TOS it says
System Resources: Any one site or reseller account found to be utilizing in excess of 10% of the system resources at any given may shall be suspended. We reserve the right to terminate such account if we see fit.
how much activity would have to be going on to go over 10%? if its a little activity, forget it. http://www.prolinkho...om/policies.php (thats their polocies)

Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:22 PM

To be honest I think you'll have to contact ProLinkHosting themselves about it. I get the impression that they are actually a reseller host buying off of another host and that they do not own the servers or anything themselves (this is true for most hosts anyways). Write them an email and ask them how much 10% of their system resources would be in space and in bandwidth.

MiNdLeSs
  • MiNdLeSs

Hustler

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:15 PM

I sent them an e-mail and this is the reply
You have to have a pretty bandwidth and space entensive site to occupy
10% cpu. There are no specific standards set. As always we have a 15
day trial.
Thanks.

They seem pretty good. I think im gonna go with them, because i've been looking around and they dont seem bad. plus, on the ebay feedbback they got lots of satisified people

Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:40 PM

If they can't give you exact number figures, don't trust them.

What "entensive" means to one, means entirely different to another.

Just my word of warning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users