Photo

Motherboard Help

4 replies to this topic
Ryan_
  • Ryan_

Ryan_ aka 4:20

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:30 PM

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to read the topic.
I have a rather strange to me problem. I just bought a CPU from Ebay.
My motherboard has on it A7Pro rev. 1.02 between two PCI slots.
I did some simple research and found that the A7Pro only came with support for 100/200Mhz FSB. OK, No problem. So I get myself the fastest CPU it will take, which to my understanding is the A1400AMS3B. Which is the fastest 200Mhz FSB
AMD Athlon Thunderbird CPU. All seems well, my CPU is on the way.
I decided to have a look at my chipsets and I could only see one. So I decided to run SiSoftware Sandra to see what she wrote. Si tells me that I have a A7Pro Mobo, but it says I have a A7V System Controller. It also tells me that the MAX FSB for this A7V System Controller is 133/266Mhz.
Knowing this, here are my questions.
First, Is Si known to be accurate? It was the program brought to my attention by the ASUS website so I thought it would be good.
Second, If not, what would be better?
Third, If I was able to achieve a stable 133Mhz FSB, would getting the A1400AMS3C
(133/266Mhz version) be worth anything?
(1400Mhz @ 200FSB vs. 1400Mhz @ 266Mhz, is/which one is better?)
I am a gamer and want to do everything I can do to make my GTA SA PC experience as good as it can get (for the time being until a new PC). So, any help
would ver very much appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Ryan.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:11 PM

Well, honestly, there are faster ships than the Thunderbirds that will run on that mobo.
Particularly the lower end Athlon chips.
I at one time had a AMD Thunderbird 1.1Ghz processor and it ran at 266Mhz FSB and was able to play UT2004 with very playable preformance.
I really don't know too much about clock speeds and how it affects FSB speeds. ( I still need to read up on that. blush.gif )
But I would think that the 1.4Ghz @ 266Mhz would be the better choice.

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:44 AM

Well, getting my hands on the 1400 @ 200FSB proved difficult but possible. The 266 FSB version is indeed much easier to get and would be more of an experiment.
My main issue is with Si's readings. Can I consider them accurate?
And, what CPU faster than AMD 1400Mhz @ 200 FSB have you had running on a A7Pro? Keep in mind, the AMD 1400Mhz CPU I talk about is indeed a Athlon Thunderbird CPU.
You had a 1.1? How does that help me, I am at 1.0 right now.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:00 AM

No, I have never had that mobo.
I only had the chip running on an A7N266.
Looking here, I don't think you can run at 266Mhz: http://usa.asus.com/...ecification.htm

And after reading that, I take back the comment about faster CPUs.
Not much you can do with that board really.

About SiSandra, you can double check by running this program: http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en
That way you will have a second opinion on what your mobo can do.

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:40 AM

I was pretty sure I was right in the first place, thanks for that program.
Thank you very much.
Well, once I get the 1400Mhz CPU, the next step is to max it @ 1.5Gb RAM.
Another question is this. My Mobo supports 2 types of RAM. I believe it's like this,
it supports normal PC RAM but also supports VC RAM. Is VC RAM better for performance? From what I understand, it never really flew. But, is this RAM better than normal PC133?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users