Photo

Max Payne

23 replies to this topic
imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:21 PM

The review is several years to late, i know, but im doing it anyway.
user posted image

Developer: Remedy.

Year of Release: 2001.

Genre: Third Person Shooter - Action.

Time to learn: 5-10 minutes.

Screenshots:
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

About the game: The character you play is Max Payne, a New York D.E.A. cop. One day when he goes home, he finds his family murdered in theire house, and gets framed for the murder of a fellow cop, and friend. He then goes out on a hunt for the murderers during the worst snow storm the city has ever seen. He gets framed for the murder of a cop, and is wanted by the police.
This game was the first game to bring Matrix-style slowmotion jumps and bullet-time, in a game.

Graphics: The characters arent very detailed, neither is the world detail. The effects and animations are good though, and the particle effects i find great. Espcially concidering that the game was made back in 2000/2001.
Some of the textures are too blurry tho, so they drag the gfx rating down abit.
Graphics get 8.

Sound: The weapons sound very realistic, and gives you a good feeling when in a gunfight. The character talk is great. When the enemies spot you they yell something like: "It's Payne", and stuff like that, and sound like theire panicking. The Swat teams also report you on the radio when they spot you, which i find to be a good little detail. Keep in mind, its the details that do the job. The explosion sounds could have been done a little better, and it would be nice hearing the parts from things you blow up hit the ground. The music is pretty gives you a great "nothing to lose" feeling, and combined with the gameplay and storyline it's great.
Sound gets 7.5.

Gameplay: The minute you launch the game, you are presented to Max Payne by graphic novels. The first level is where you find your murdered family, and is thrown in to a drama with flashing lights, crazy shooting gangsters, and organized crime, going all over New York, from drug houses, to undergound labs and big corporation buildings with tight security, complete with snipers, swat teams, drug addicts, gangsters and crime lords.
The bullet-time feature allowing you to enter slow motion, do sidewards and forwards, or even backwards-slowmotion jumps, allowing you to jump and aim freely, while gunning down multiple enemies at once.
The storyline is very sad and makes you want to keep playing, to reveal more of the story and see the ending.
The game has a Matrix-feeling to it in some levels, and that's meant in a good way. It's a great feeling going through NYC while chasing the truth.
There is no sneak element in this game, it's just run and gun down anything that moves. It can get repetitive at times, but you want to continue because of the storyline. Also, there is no multiplayer, sadly.
Gameplay gets 8.5. It's also, very short, and not hard to complete. It takes you about 5-7 hours to complete it.

Additional comments: I liked the game very much, and have played it again and again, but with mods.

Overall: 8.5.

Please be gentle, this is my first review ever.

Xcommunicated
  • Xcommunicated

Bunch of slack-jawed faggots around here.

• United-States

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

Back in December 2001, the graphics were a 10. Even Gamespot agrees. That is, if you happen to be reviewing the PC version and not one of the lesser console versions. You need to state which version you reviewed, unless I missed it.

imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Xcommunicated @ Apr 26 2005, 20:33)
Back in December 2001, the graphics were a 10.  Even Gamespot agrees.  That is, if you happen to be reviewing the PC version and not one of the lesser console versions.  You need to state which version you reviewed, unless I missed it.

Oh, sorry, case is, i was a real noob then. I was 9 years old, so, excuse me.
Im not gonna change it tho, chances are that someone comes in and goes "hey the graphics suck in that just look at half life 2 lolz!!!11".

PCJ.
  • PCJ.

Shaggy

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:06 PM

Back in December 2001, the graphics were a 10. Even Gamespot agrees. That is, if you happen to be reviewing the PC version and not one of the lesser console versions. You need to state which version you reviewed, unless I missed it.

It all depend what you're comparing it to; games from the date it came out, if so, it marked slightly higher on graphics, or games of now, if so I think he's got it about right.

good work with your review.

RearEndCollision
  • RearEndCollision

Lucid Dreams.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:12 PM

Wow two reviews one day, good stuff. I'll add it to the topic soon. Good job man. smile.gif

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:20 AM

Max Payne is pretty cool. And I really do think its graphics were the best back in 2001, even Return to Castle Wolfenstein didn't look so good (and it looked awesome back at the time).

Max Payne 2, however, is even better. I wonder if they're ever gonna make another sequel... ph34r.gif

Uno Carb
  • Uno Carb

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:26 AM

Not too bad for a first review.

I agree, that the graphics for it's time we're pretty damn good (Ps2). The characters seemed very fluid and well-done. They had little things like special gun details and Max's coat moving when he moved.

Mr. Wongs
  • Mr. Wongs

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (PresidentKiller @ Apr 26 2005, 23:20)
Max Payne is pretty cool. And I really do think its graphics were the best back in 2001, even Return to Castle Wolfenstein didn't look so good (and it looked awesome back at the time).

Max Payne 2, however, is even better. I wonder if they're ever gonna make another sequel...  ph34r.gif

http://www.gamespot....tml?q=max payne

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Wongs @ Apr 26 2005, 23:34)
QUOTE (PresidentKiller @ Apr 26 2005, 23:20)

Max Payne 2, however, is even better. I wonder if they're ever gonna make another sequel...  ph34r.gif

http://www.gamespot....tml?q=max payne

However, Lapin surprised some by confirming Take-Two's intent to make Max Payne 3. "There'll be another Max Payne," he said in a presentation at the 17th Annual Bear Stearns Media, Entertainment and Information Conference. "I think we'll take a few years to make the next one that much more spectacular is what we have to do. But it's clearly a brand that everybody knows."

Lapin's comments dispelled the clouds of doubt hanging over the third Max Payne game. Though some had seen Take-Two's registration of the URL www.maxpayne3.com as proof the game was coming out, others pointed out that the URL was registered in 2002, long before Max Payne 2 was even released.

While Max Payne 3 is now all but officially announced, confusion has emerged over who is developing the game. While the first two Max Payne games were developed by Finland-based Remedy Games, Lapin made no mention of them in his comments today. Adding to the uncertainty was a post on Shacknews.com from someone claiming to be Mikael Kasurinen, one of Max Payne 2's level designers. "FYI: We are not making Max Payne 3," read the terse post.

Well, that certainly is a bit confusing. And I didn't think Max Payne 2 sales were poor compared to Max Payne's... anyway, I hope they're making an awesome sequel, we can't let a character like Max Payne die like that. confused.gif

Thanks for the info Mr. Wongs.

Reactor.
  • Reactor.

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 09:03 AM

I love this game. The atmosphere (me, again with the atmosphere) is incredible. I recommend playing it in the winter at night, because that way you can really feel the cold and darkness of the game and its setting.

If you're worried about the graphics, you've got to look past them, and at the art style. How well the world is pulled off, how believable and immersive the visuals are. In Max Payne they are excellent.

Uno Carb
  • Uno Carb

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 April 2005 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (Rector @ Apr 27 2005, 04:03)
I love this game. The atmosphere (me, again with the atmosphere) is incredible. I recommend playing it in the winter at night, because that way you can really feel the cold and darkness of the game and its setting.

If you're worried about the graphics, you've got to look past them, and at the art style. How well the world is pulled off, how believable and immersive the visuals are. In Max Payne they are excellent.

That is one of the things I didn't like about Max Payne 2. It didn't give you that creepy, dark and dead atmospheric feeling that the first one did. It was probably because there were no special weather effects. It was dark outside all of the time - but that was about it.

imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:06 AM

Wow, i really wasnt expecting such positive comments, mostly because the game is ages old.
About the graphics. When i was reading your posts i thought back when i saw the commercial in the tv, and i remember how i was all like wow.gif , when i saw the graphics. Stupid, stupid me, the graphics were great for the time.

Slap me, eh?

Im gonna do a review on Max Payne 2 also, probably this week, so watch out.

@uno carb. True about the creepy feeling, but i felt like the whole world was after him and Mona, and f*cking loved it, and got enraged by finding out the secrets of Winterson, and the cleaners and Vlad and stuff. f*cking ace.

jazz.
  • jazz.

waffen

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 April 2005 - 11:38 AM

Good review. I never finished Max Payne (I was pretty damn creeped out by it) but Max Payne 2 - R0x.

That I finished about 3 times.

jorgerdz
  • jorgerdz

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:22 AM

THIS GAME IS SO f*ckING SICK
and i love it

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:30 AM

No need for two topic threads without good reasoning, lock....

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

I never understood why R* didn't make the gunfights like Max Paine in GTA games (with or without bullet-time). No GTA game ever had any deepness or serious feel when any type of conflict occurs. Of course that doesn't seem to be the problem with GTA4 using Euphoria and RAGE

Max Paine rulez.

YourNeighborhoodKiller
  • YourNeighborhoodKiller

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

The game was badass. I loved it so much.

I've always been a fan of the series.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (jorgerdz @ Feb 1 2008, 01:22)
and i love it

Why the f*ck did you bump a topic from '05?

Pat
  • Pat

• The Connection

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Feb 1 2008, 08:02)
I never understood why R* didn't make the gunfights like Max Paine in GTA games

Maybe because Rockstar Games didn't make Max Payne.

It was developed by Remedy Games, and published by Take-Two. It has no ties to Rockstar what-so-ever.

Kippers
  • Kippers

Project 2501

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:20 AM

It was published by Rockstar which is why it's in Steams Rockstar Games bundle.

But yeah, R* had nothing to do with the actual making bit of the game

Uno Carb
  • Uno Carb

Boss

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (jorgerdz @ Feb 1 2008, 02:22)
and i love it

I'm so sick of these f*cking fa**ot noobs bumping two-year old topics. Jesus.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:08 AM

I know that it's an old topic but I decided to post here instead of creating a new one.

So I played MP on Windows 7 and there's no music at all in the game. sad.gif
SFX and voices only. Who knows how to fix this?

Damo.
  • Damo.

Gangsta

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

Did you illegally download it by any chance?

Oh, and you're probably better off making a new thread than bumping an ancient one with barely 2 pages.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:56 AM

Did you even bother to search on google or something? On VISTA the game doesn't have any sound either and if you had googled the issue, you would find a solution for this.

Keep on digging icon14.gif.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users