Photo

Is controls really that bad?

18 replies to this topic
donald4444
  • donald4444

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:34 PM

I am asking this because I have played GTA 3 and GTA: Vice City on the PC. And I didnīt felt they were bad. Can it be because that I havenīt tried them on PS2? Just wanted to now if I should buy a controler for my PC when GTA: San Andreas comes to PC.

davew2040
  • davew2040

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (donald4444 @ Apr 25 2005, 12:34)
I am asking this because I have played GTA 3 and GTA: Vice City on the PC. And I didnīt felt they were bad. Can it be because that I havenīt tried them on PS2? Just wanted to now if I should buy a controler for my PC when GTA: San Andreas comes to PC.

Keyboard and mouse are actually better for moving around on foot (although it's nice to be able to auto-target, which you will be able to do in San Andreas PC). But really, for steering, it's better to have an analog device so that you have some levels of precision between "going straight" and "veering off to the right/left". My fingers also get a little bit tired of repeatedly tapping the keys on the keyboard, after playing for a long period of time. I'd say it's almost impossible to effectively pilot a helicopter or airplane without an analog device.

Besides, they've made the driving physics in San Andreas more realistic, so you may even have a harder time than in GTA3/VC with a keyboard.

donald4444
  • donald4444

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the answer!!!!
Then Ill guess it is gonna be hard to fly a hydra propely in San Andreas.

excalibur69
  • excalibur69

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 02:16 PM

well, i havent played SA yet, but i had no problem with the controls in VC regarding cars or helicopters. i personally hate analog sticks and cant play any game with them. i would say if you are comfortable with a control scheme you used in VC on the keyboard and mouse, you should be fine here

donald4444
  • donald4444

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 02:56 PM

Sounds good!! biggrin.gif

klingenm
  • klingenm

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:15 PM

well, i havent played SA yet, but i had no problem with the controls in VC regarding cars or helicopters. i personally hate analog sticks and cant play any game with them. i would say if you are comfortable with a control scheme you used in VC on the keyboard and mouse, you should be fine here

The same goes for me.. At least Im non going to by a controller of any kind before Iwe gotten to try out w/ the keyboard first. I do own a wheel dough, tounge.gif

GTAGuy
  • GTAGuy

Muten Roshi

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:04 PM

One downfall of using mouse aiming in previous GTA titles was that unlike with autoaim, a cop wouldn't start chasing you if you aimed at him, or a ped wouldn't start running. Some things that were triggered by autoaiming at someone wouldn't work with mouse aiming. I hope it's fixed in SA.

davew2040
  • davew2040

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

I've been playing around with this analogic mapper (http://toca.game-editing.net/files) for a little while, and I'd say it really changes the driving experience. Apparently the default handling of analog devices is to treat them like weird digital devices, so you don't really have a fine degree of control; this thing basically gives you as much precision as you can get out of your device. You can actually make smooth turns rather than jerking through traffic.

I don't expect most people to know what I'm talking about, but it's an improvement tounge.gif It's a hassle to configure though, and has some other minor issues as well.

GTAGuy
  • GTAGuy

Muten Roshi

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:25 PM

I've worked with the analogic mapper as well davew, and it proves helpful when I use my Xbox controller to drive with on VC. I have a Xbox > USB adapter and it works wonders smile.gif

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:44 AM

I've never had any control problems with any PC game and I only use keyboard and mouse.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:33 AM

The best setup is having a gamepad on hand for the driving aspects and switch to keyboard and mouse for onfoot action.

murph_fan51
  • murph_fan51

GTA:SA PC- 7.6.05

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:09 AM

I prefer Keyboard and Mouse only. Even for driving. As soon as I enter a vehicle, I leave the mouse and use the keyboard. It really doesn't bother me at all, and find it easier to control choppers and planes...Also, if you want to get a quick getaway, having to switch controls may be annoying

GTAGuy
  • GTAGuy

Muten Roshi

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:41 AM Edited by GTAGuy, 26 April 2005 - 09:47 AM.

QUOTE (murph_fan51 @ Apr 26 2005, 01:09)
I prefer Keyboard and Mouse only.  Even for driving.  As soon as I enter a vehicle, I leave the mouse and use the keyboard.  It really doesn't bother me at all, and find it easier to control choppers and planes...Also, if you want to get a quick getaway, having to switch controls may be annoying

I'm the same way. I played GTA3 and VC for the longest without an analog gamepad and the controls were pretty easy to get used to. Where some people had trouble with the RC Raider bombing mission on VC, I breezed right through it, however, I would like to know that there is full analog support just incase I might want to try a gamepad out for driving. Hopefully SA has this, and won't require an analogic mapper to get a gamepad to work.

EDIT: I just took a look at the recommended specs and they recommend a gamepad with two joystics, so I guess this answers my hope biggrin.gif

HinGTA
  • HinGTA

\m/ Horns Up! \m/

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:53 AM

I have played the GTA games on PS2 and PC and I much prefer the PC controls. PS2 controls are too close together and too easy to press the wrong button and f*ck up a mission. Mouselook is an essential in any video game.

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:15 AM

I agree with most above, I always love GTA for PC as the keyboard works perfect for it, but when I got SA for PS2 the controls were easy to use and suit it well

GTAKhaoZ
  • GTAKhaoZ

C'mon SA:PC! Now to get a better PC...

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (HinGTA @ Apr 26 2005, 04:53)
I have played the GTA games on PS2 and PC and I much prefer the PC controls. PS2 controls are too close together and too easy to press the wrong button and f*ck up a mission. Mouselook is an essential in any video game.

Same thing here. I played the first mission on SA on my friend's PS2 where you're on that BMX and trying to pedal your @$$ away from that gang and when I tried to put on the brake I would end up bailing off of the bike by accident and get shot to death. Pissed me off. mad.gif

Kert
  • Kert

Punk-ass Bitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

i think u can get a better gaming experience on ps2 (controllers) and yeah the arrow keys on PC are not very good for doing good turns.

Fatz
  • Fatz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:14 PM

I use a dual shock PS2 controller for everything except that I'll use the mouse for sniping or using some other guns, M16 and such. Works great, love the analog control.

Taf
  • Taf

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (Fatz @ May 4 2005, 13:14)
I use a dual shock PS2 controller for everything except that I'll use the mouse for sniping or using some other guns, M16 and such. Works great, love the analog control.

Same here biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users