Photo

VC Closes Before Game Starts

10 replies to this topic
TMaas
  • TMaas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:15 PM

I just did a weapons mod through the IMG archive tool. Now when I run the program, I get past the little movies and up to where the bar goes across the bottom of the screen after you click new game, then when the bar completes it goes to a black screen then slowly closes the application. I'm not sure if it's from doing the weapons mod or not. I sent a copy of the gta3.img file to the desktop, but that won't open with the IMG program. The file with the rest of the game files will open up to the archives, but I don't have the old files anymore to replace the ones I put in. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!! confused.gif

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

I'll move this to the modding areas, try and give as much detail as possible btw.

TMaas
  • TMaas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:25 AM

I tried the World War II weapons mod off of one of the Edge sites, whether it was Edge Cheats, Edge Files, or Edge Forums. Downloaded the zip file that had to be extracted, extracted the files, replaced the files that were in there with the ones that were extracted, then rebuilt the archive. Since I could get the GXT program to open the file right, I didn't get to rename the weapons. Basically, after I followed the instructions on the readme file that was with the weapons mod files and went through it, now I can get as far as where the guy walks into that building on the little pre-game movie, then the screen goes back to the background. You can tell that the VC program minimized itself, since the toolbar shows that the program is selected, and there is part of the VC black screen in the background for a few seconds until the computer responds and closes the application.

I'm not sure if this is from the mod or not. I followed the instructions, except for renaming the file.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall several times before I had to quit because I had to go to work. But good news now, I finally got it to reinstall properly, and just confirmed that it works. colgate.gif

Does anyone know what I did wrong and how I could redo it to get these weapons to work? I would really like to try them.

Thanks!!

TMaas
  • TMaas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:18 AM

I just tried doing the mods again. Same thing, goes up until just before the small movies about the missions, then the screen minimizes to a smaller black box, then the application closes. I don't know what i'm doing any differently, besides not renaming the files. Are these bad mods that i'm trying?

Now i'll have to uninstall and reinstall again until I can get the program to work. yawn.gif sad.gif The game is boring now that I know there are mods out there. I've killed a lot of time today on this.

TMaas
  • TMaas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:09 PM

Anyone? wow.gif biggrin.gif

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:07 AM

If you done everything according to the readme file, except renaming the files, than that most probably is causing the problem. sad.gif

Why can't you rename the file like the readme says ?

BTW. you should use your [edit] button if you want to add additional information. What you did is call "triple posting", which is not appreciated at this forum.

TMaas
  • TMaas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:16 AM Edited by TMaas, 26 April 2005 - 04:24 AM.

Thanks for replying.

nervous.gif Oh sorry. I just thought it would help seperate what happened at different times. Thought the thread was kind of lonely too, i'm used to threads with several posts from other users. I've spent many hours on other forums, vehicle-related.

I didn't rename the files because the language was in what looked to be HTML instead of weapons names.

Now for some reason after uninstalling and reinstalling fresh, it does the same thing as it did after I tried the mods, even though I had it working last night after reinstalling. Don't know if I should give up or not. I really, really wanted to try out the M1 on the game, as i'm interested in military rifles.

Thanks! smile.gif
---------------------------
When I try to reinstall that program, the wizard opens up of course and installs for awhile, then asks for the second CD, then gets done, then a dialog box comes up that says "The wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume GTA_Vice_City into drive D:." I've been getting this every time I try to reinstall, yet you can't cancel out of it it without it popping up several times, then I checked and the program is already in my Program Files. I'm not sure if I should put the install CD back in then and push try again, or just keep on canceling out of it.
--------------------------
I just tried to put the install cd back in and push the try again button on the dialog box. Then the cd drive started working, I got an error saying the Install Wizard needed to close and asked me if I wanted to send an error report, then the install Wizard started back up, then a box popped up and asked me if I wanted to remove all of the files. So that's not the right thing to do. I'm going to try to open the game again now, since it is in the Program Files folder. If this doesn't work, I don't know what else to do. No reason it shouldn't work if I uninstalled and reinstalled it, as it has before, and it should.
---------------------------
Just tried playing it. Still does the same thing as it did earlier today before I reinstalled it a couple times. Loads, gets to the screen where you select new game, next screen comes up and loads up to where the bar on the bottom of the screen is exactly in the middle, then you hear a beep noise, bar quits moving, application sits there until you press enter, then the black screen minimzes and you can see the background, then you wait until the computer figures out what's going on, then you get a dialog box saying that the program exe file (forgot the actual name) generated an error and has to close, then the screen comes up where it asks if you want to send an error report, and that's it. Try opening it again and it does the same thing. I'm clueless here. Just uninstalled it again and am trying to reinstall it again. yawn.gif
--------------------------------
Tried reinstalling again. Won't work. That wrong volume comes up after it gets done installing, if you keep on trying to cancel out of that box it will eventually do it, then a dialog box comes up and says something about setup encountering an error and asks if you want to send an error report. Tried running it, gets to the same spot during the game load, beeps, quits loading, push spacebar or enter, screen minimizes, gta_vc.exe (or something like that) error comes up, same stuff, different minute or hour.

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:51 PM

If I'm not confused, your problem is no longer a hangup after installing a mod, but being unable to re-install VC freshly from the CD.

Do you have the original CD's or a copied version ?

TMaas
  • TMaas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:16 AM

Correct, it started out as a crash after a weapons mod and now it turned into either an unsuccessful install or else a hangup while loading, definately an install problem I think. I have the original CD's.

Thanks

PatrickW
  • PatrickW

GTA Juggernaut

• Netherlands

Posted 28 April 2005 - 12:41 AM

With game install problems, you have a better chance of getting usefull help in our regular GTA vice-city troubleshoot forum. There's where the experts for these kinda problems hang-out.

If you have your game installed and working again, and still having troubles installing the mod, you're more than welcome to come back here.

TMaas
  • TMaas

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 April 2005 - 03:04 AM

Thanks Patrick.

This thread was originally over there. biggrin.gif http://www.gtaforums...hp?showforum=81 I'll start a new one over there then.

Thanks again! Hope to be back!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users