Photo

[Other] Myriad Monthly

40 replies to this topic
mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:39 AM

I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed that the forum is a bit quite these days. Even though there are still quite a few lots that need to be filled. There was an explosion of new stuff a while ago, but since then it seems like everyone's hybernating or something. (Wich I'm sure is not the case, and behind the scene there's a lot of work being done.)
So I got the idea of maybe there should be a monthly Myriad newsletter.
It could contain things like:
- what new releases there are
- what updates are being made (paths,...)
- what people have been shown they're working on
- FAQ of the month

I think this could help people who aren't 'into' the making of, to keep their interest, and people who are actively working on Myriad to keep a nice overview and keep motivated. 'Cause when San Andreas comes out, I fear that Myriad might end up like so many tc's.
The reason why I suggest a newsletter and not another topic on the forum is that this way, we could stop a lot of unnecessary bumping and spamming of existing topics.
Also the monthly overview of what's been done and what to do will help a great deal with keeping an overview of the evergrowing Myriad Islands.

Anyone care to share their thoughts on this one?

Dom0803
  • Dom0803

Boss

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:28 PM

I'm not active in myriad anymore, but I know a good idea when I see one. It would certainly help boost enthusiasm.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 24 April 2005 - 12:54 PM

It's an interesting idea, but who would be willing to write this newsletter and gather the information from different people who are working on Myriad? It could indeed boost Myriad, but there would have to be someone dedicated to the cause who write this up every time its releases whether its weekly/every other week/monthly etc.

I remember once PM'ing everyone who was working on Myriad with information in regards to how far they were with there lot/vehicles and it took quite a while. I would like to see this happen if someone was willing to do this.

If people were just asked to post how far they were in a certain topic I feel that it wouldn't work, simply on the basis that people would ignore it possibly because they are not doing any work on the lot they currently own. If someone was dedicated in annoying people getting the information from people then this could be a good idea.

caponester
  • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:07 PM

This is a good idea, maybe similar to the gang weekly lay out.

Some previews with exclusive screens
Some interviews
Release reviews

But like Gt-1 said I don't know anyone who would be willing to write this up.Perhaps articles could be submitted by forumers to an editor.

JoaoBio
  • JoaoBio

Ubuntu Linux!

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 01:34 PM

I could help writting stuff, but i would no way be doing all the things myself, i think that we could gather a team and that team should work on this... Well If you like this idea, i can help you with this, and this is a very good idea btw... tounge.gif

definition_of_freak
  • definition_of_freak

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:03 PM

i would certainly like to help in some way, seeing as my modding skills are far from an acceptable standard.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 02:42 PM

This is a great idea, I love it! We could have an article that summarizes what happened in the last month, like which ambitious projects were started, updated or released, and what general changes have been made to the mod or the site. Then a "pressing issues" article about a special topic of current interest, like the upcomming conversion to SanAn or the release of new islands. Furthermore we could have a "developer's corner", featuring an interview with a head developer, e.g. illspirit about the new islands (What problems arose? Why did he have to start from scratch again? What techniques did he use? How long did it take? Is he a robot? ...), or alternatively/additionaly an article about newly discovered modding possibilities.

But to avoid it dying out after 2 issues, we need a regular editor, someone who loves to write (and CAN write) and is willing to keep it up. Doesn't even have to be a modder. And along with the editor a small team of helpers, who are doing the research and interviews. There could of course be guest writers, who provide single articles, but a core team is definitely needed to keep it running. And since it appears monthly, there isn't really so much to do...

We could have a newsletter archive at the website, and an automated distribution to all subscribers via PM or email.

That would really be a great thing, I hope it doesn't vanish into air again like so many other good ideas...
Maybe posting a "job ad" in the writer's forum could help.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (steve-m @ Apr 24 2005, 16:42)

woohoo!

Now I feel like a f*cking job recruiter... tounge.gif

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:22 PM

This could be like Gang Weekly! I could be a interview person-er thing. Such as, interviewing Illy about new islands etc. I dunno, maybe I should to the full time thing?

caponester
  • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:29 PM

I agree with everything that is said but scrap the PM subsribers idea.

We want a locked pinned topic where the latest issue is posted, at the bottom of the post there will be back issues so noobs to the scene can play catch up on past events.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:58 PM

One thing taht could make the forum more busy is if people working on lots have to post progress more often. The are plenty of lots which I have never seen being developed on. Maby instead of people posting in the PPT everyone could start a topic about there lot even if it's not finished (or am I talking crap?) biggrin.gif

Carl's Johnson
  • Carl's Johnson

Numa Numa

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:03 PM

Does illspirit know about this idea?

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (caponester @ Apr 24 2005, 18:29)
I agree with everything that is said but scrap the PM subsribers idea.

We want a locked pinned topic where the latest issue is posted, at the bottom of the post there will be back issues so noobs to the scene can play catch up on past events.

Ok then. But it might be better to archive back issues at the website, on a dedicated page, since stuffing them all into one post causes confusion, a tiny scrollbutton and long loading times.

And please, if you just want to assist, don't post in that "editor wanted" topic, since that's just for the editor/head writer (as the title says). Thanks.

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 06:17 PM

I think we should keep it away from the forum. The myriad website seems like a good hq. At least then it would be used for something other than just a download link smile.gif . Off course there should be links to the forum, wich imo would still remain as active as ever. PM'ing wouldn't be a good idea , cause we want the people that occasionally drop in to also keep their attention. A Mail-subscribtion therefore seems a logical solution. After all, it would only be one mail per month.

caponester
  • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (mickarrow @ Apr 24 2005, 18:17)
I think we should keep it away from the forum. The myriad website seems like a good hq. At least then it would be used for something other than just a download link smile.gif . Off course there should be links to the forum, wich imo would still remain as active as ever. PM'ing wouldn't be a good idea , cause we want the people that occasionally drop in to also keep their attention. A Mail-subscribtion therefore seems a logical solution. After all, it would only be one mail per month.

I totally agree.

I'd be more than willing to write an independent article for the first issue.

All independent articles should be submitted to the editor for proof reading and possibly some editors opinions added in.

I think I'll write an article on the history of Myriad.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (steve-m @ Apr 24 2005, 15:57)
QUOTE (steve-m @ Apr 24 2005, 16:42)

woohoo!

Now I feel like a f*cking job recruiter... tounge.gif

I got half way through writing one and then saw you posted one. You looked to cover it all though. smile.gif
Its a good idea, we could always just have one topic posted on the forum so people could give feedback and then keep a version archived on the site, as Steve said.

Good to see some intrest in this though.

caponester
  • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:38 PM Edited by caponester, 24 April 2005 - 09:07 PM.

Something similar to the gang weekly will probably do nicely

*Adam*
  • *Adam*

Sexeh Screenies

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

Thats an awesome idea inlove.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (caponester @ Apr 24 2005, 21:41)
All independent articles should be submitted to the editor for proof reading and possibly some editors opinions added in.

That's the plan.

And don't worry, the website won't stay that empty and boring. Lots of features are being worked on already...

QUOTE (GT-1 @ Apr 24 2005, 21:45)
I got half way through writing one and then saw you posted one. You looked to cover it all though. smile.gif

I waited some time, but due to lack of replies I did it myself... wink.gif

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:56 PM

I've read a lot of great ideas. Seems like people are willing to put their shoulders under this. Lots of volunteers for articles and such, but I think we're losing track of what's really important. It's a newsletter, not a magazine. What in my eyes seems the most important, is the monthly recap of what happened. A list of some sort. With links to pics in the PPT or something; a recap of various updates; a summary of what's next;...
Don't get me wrong, I like the other ideas, I just don't think they should get the upper hand. A monthly recap helps to keep an overview of what's going on. Wich is getting really necessary and is imo the most important. If it's in addition with the other stuff, no problem.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (mickarrow @ Apr 26 2005, 17:56)
It's a newsletter, not a magazine.

Why not? It's not meant to be a technical bulletin for the developers, rather something informative to read by visitors and gamers. E.g. an article about the history of Myriad in the first issue is a great read for everyone who hasn't been here since the start, including visitors and maybe gaming magazines, who might want to report about the mod...

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:22 PM

I agree. I never thought of it as a technical bulletin. But an overview of what's done, what's being done, and what's going to be done keeps us informed, motivated and looking forward. I don't mind other stuff, like I said before. But I don't think it should come first.

Andrew
  • Andrew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

If you're looking for someone to kinda head the project, editor thingy. Then I wouldn't mind. I've had past expreince with the forum weekly. Or bi-weekly whatever you want to call it.

I quite like the idea.

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 29 April 2005 - 05:33 PM

I think if you want, you got the job. There's a recuiting topic in the Writers Discussion. Maybe you should post there. I saw there were some people who wanted to write various things, but the 'chief editor' position was open I think.

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:00 PM

**BUMP**

Reason for bumping: is this idea dying or is something going on behind the scenes?
If no-one's doing anything I think I'll give it a try. Even if it doesn't succeed, at least I tried, right? I made a list of people who wanted to contribute, so if nothings going on, I'll start PM'ing after the week-end or so.

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 05 May 2005 - 04:27 PM

Nope nothing is going on anwhere unfortunetly. The idea should not die, i'll see if I can sort some things out with people.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:42 PM

We had the following applications:

head editor
  • Gangsta Killa

assistants
  • Cran.
  • JoaoBio
  • liberty-city-cocks-rule
  • definition_of_freak
  • caponester

Correct? Anyone else?

caponester
  • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:47 PM

I await confirmation of a first issue and entry dates for articles!

I think we should lay out the newspaper exactly like the GW, tables format.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:41 PM

So you're definitely in? Great.
If you already know what to write about (history?) you can start. Just say what you write here, to avoid duplicate entries, until everything is organized.

Would be great if we could release the first issue (06/2005) at the end of May, just before the release of SA PC. Everyone will be busy playing SA for one or two weeks anyway, and afterwards we can have a huge report about the progress of the conversion in the second issue.

Don't worry about the format yet. I don't really like that table layout, but we still have a lot of time to decide on that.

caponester
  • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

Ok my article will be on the history of the Myriad Islands project.

I'll make a start on it tommorow after my maths exam smile.gif

We should arrange an interview with Illspirit if he's avaiable in the first issue asking him about his inspiration for the mod and his future plans.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users