Photo

Dead AGP POV 6600GT?

7 replies to this topic
Superb@ll
  • Superb@ll

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:48 AM

Well, it happened yesterday. I was playing with some Far Cry SP maps and it was all good. Then the system freezed and it was the screen was corrupted.

The first thing I did was switched everything off and let it cool down for a few minutes or so. A little later I tried to boot it up and the boot screen was distorted and corrupted, I couldn't get into windows either. It black screened.

I tried it with my old Geforce FX5200, It booted into Windows and that's me, sitting here. With a card that died from (an) unknown cause(s).. I had it overclocked a little bit to 545/1025. That should be a problem because the idle temp was about 30 and the load temp was about 40. That's all aircooled.

Specs: P4 Northwood 2.8 GHz @ 3.4 GHz
MSI 845Pe MAX
Twinmos PC3200 DDR DIMM
350W PSU

Azazel
  • Azazel

Rhododendron.

• None

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:38 AM

Get it replaced, and don't overclock it again. The warranty still covers, yes? ~az

Superb@ll
  • Superb@ll

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, I'm going to bring it back to the store and replace it.

Yup, it still covers.

Luke15
  • Luke15

Espaņa - Gone?

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (Superb@ll @ Apr 24 2005, 10:45)
Yeah, I'm going to bring it back to the store and replace it.

Yup, it still covers.

Well what are you waiting for tounge.gif.

If i were to overclock a 6600gt i would use water cooling wink.gif.

Superb@ll
  • Superb@ll

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 11:01 AM

Well, considering the store is too far away to go on foot and I don't have a car YET. I will just wait 'till my dad is off the work. tounge.gif

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:28 PM

It should go without saying, but when you take it back be sure to NOT tell them why you think it might have died. In other words, don't tell them you overclocked it.

Overclocking it that little shouldn't be an issue with the cooling that card comes with. My guess is that it might have just been part of a bad batch of cards, so might have died soon enough overclocked or not. So think of it this way, if it died well within the warrnety limits while it was overclocked, then if it wasn't overclocked it would have died either just before the warrenty or not too long after.

If you choose to overclock the next one, get an aftermaket GPU cooler.
Arctic Cooling makes 2 for the 6600 PCI-E version, this more than likely does not include the APG version of the card: NV Silencer 1 (Rev. 2) and NV Silencer 6 (Rev. 2)
Zalman makes a number of GPU coolers, one with a fan and a few using no fan. This one I'm looking to get for my 5700LE since the Arctic Cooling for 5700's doesn't fit the LE cards. http://www.zalmanusa...dx=149&code=013
Hell you can on just about any hard, the incompatible card list is shorter than the compatible list.

Of course don't expect to use the PCI slot next to the your video card slot, but then since the FX series I don't think you can any more anyway. I wish mobo makers would make a note of that when designing the new boards.

vALKYR
  • vALKYR

The Object of Affection.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 24 April 2005 - 05:36 PM

I overclocked my 6600GT from 500/1000 to 525/1150 and I experience no problems at all. But I don't play games that often.

FYI, it's an XFX 6600GT.

Superb@ll
  • Superb@ll

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the advice, wolf smile.gif

I will be getting a new mobo along with a new card (probably the XFX 6800GT)
It should cost me a few hundred euros more. Minus the AGP 6600GT.

The cooling will be fine methinks, the whole rig will be watercooled wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users