» «
Photo

TV card?

9 replies to this topic
/DYABLO\
  • /DYABLO\

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:11 PM Edited by /DYABLO\, 22 April 2005 - 06:22 PM.

i would like to record some of the ps2 games i play onto my computer what do i need thanks for the help
suicidal.gif

stretch.
  • stretch.

30% of the time, we deliver all the time!

• Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:16 PM

Well you need a tv card to start off with, unless you plan on using a camcorder of sort.

I have the Pinnacle WinTV PCI Express, so I simply hook up the white Phono from the PS2 av lead to the tv card, I then needed to buy a dual Phono to 3.5mm jack converter and male to femal phono adapters from Maplins (Britain only I think) and plug that into my audio in connection.

Then it's pretty much a case of using the software that more often than not will be bundled with the TV card to record it. Well, I think that's everything!

riccbhard
  • riccbhard

---->

• Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:19 PM

Maybe: http://www2.newegg.c...N82E16815100129

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:34 PM

A lot of people seem to like the Hauppauge WINTV-PVR-150, however Newegg wants $100 for it

What I have and use, but I can't say I've used with a PS2 or any other gaming console, is the Leadtk TX2000XP Expert which Newegg wants $50 for. Plus I like the internal audio cable better for 1 less wire to add to the rats nest in the back. The audio cable is to get audio from the TV Tuner card to your PC, most tv tuner cards that I've seen use external cables.
So far I've only used this for minor TV watching, mostly it was used for testing some of the capture settings, and then to capture a movie from my cable provided DVR box to my PC as a DVD format/encoding which came out great.
This card also includes Ulead Video Studio 6.0 and Cool 3D 3.0 for editting and authoring to DVD. The video studio is nice and took me a bit to get use to but became easy to use after some trial and error. I haven't tried, or even installed, the Cool 3D as of yet...but then I haven't taken the remote out of it's bag yet either, not that I plan to for my usage.

Pilate
  • Pilate

Big Homie

• The Precinct

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:44 PM

I have the same card as wolf and the only thing I dislike about it is the PVR software it comes with. That program is pretty flaky and I can't seem to get a recording type that I like. It's a good sard though and does everything it's supposed to. I should mention that you can use whatever PVR software you want, I've just never gotten around to finding something other than the bundled version.

@wolf: do you know if the card has on-board encoding?

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Pilate @ Apr 22 2005, 15:44)
@wolf: do you know if the card has on-board encoding?

Yep, that's one of the reasons I got it. It saves my CPU from having to do it at the same time.

What do you mean about the PVR "...is pretty flaky and I can't seem to get a recording type that I like..."?
I set mine to DVD file and captured my movie just fine. Then took it over to Video Studio and edit out the extra BS at the start and end leaving just the movie. Then I used Adobe EncoreDVD to make the menus and set the chapters, so far that's turning out nicely but I still have some learning to do make it perfect.

Pilate
  • Pilate

Big Homie

• The Precinct

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:19 AM Edited by Pilate, 23 April 2005 - 12:33 AM.

What I don't like about the pvr is you have to program in each show you want to record one by one. You can't just say "Record Family Guy" and it does it. Also I've had trouble with that website they send you to when you want to select shows for recording. Alot of the times that site is just down.
As for the quality, looking at it now the picture and sound are pretty low. It looks grainy and sounds worse. I might be dumb though and have the settings all screwy. I know I didn't have recording set to dvd. I had it on MPEG-2 and that didn't produce a very high quality result. How big are the dvd recordings for a 30 minute show?
Maybe the Expert version is alot different from what ever version I have because 1) I don't have internal sound connections and 2)I'm not sure I have on board encoding. Any idea how to check? I'm gonna run over to new egg real quick to see if I can find my model and look at the specs some.
You might have just saved me a ton of cash though wolf because I was going to buy a 250 for the encoding, but if I already have it, then there is no need to!

edit: I'm recording something now and it's sending the job to my computer becuase all of a sudden I'm under full load. damn.
edit2: I just looked at your card on new egg and we have to completly different cards. So that is probably the reason why yours is better tounge.gif
New egg looks fancy too with its new design

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:41 AM

QUOTE (Pilate @ Apr 22 2005, 18:19)
What I don't like about the pvr is you have to program in each show you want to record one by one. You can't just say "Record Family Guy" and it does it. Also I've had trouble with that website they send you to when you want to select shows for recording. Alot of the times that site is just down.
As for the quality, looking at it now the picture and sound are pretty low. It looks grainy and sounds worse. I might be dumb though and have the settings all screwy. I know I didn't have recording set to dvd. I had it on MPEG-2 and that didn't produce a very high quality result. How big are the dvd recordings for a 30 minute show?
Maybe the Expert version is alot different from what ever version I have because 1) I don't have internal sound connections and 2)I'm not sure I have on board encoding. Any idea how to check? I'm gonna run over to new egg real quick to see if I can find my model and look at the specs some.
You might have just saved me a ton of cash though wolf because I was going to buy a 250 for the encoding, but if I already have it, then there is no need to!

edit: I'm recording something now and it's sending the job to my computer becuase all of a sudden I'm under full load. damn.
edit2: I just looked at your card on new egg and we have to completly different cards. So that is probably the reason why yours is better tounge.gif
New egg looks fancy too with its new design

If you have the older card or the non-Expert or Deluxe mode then yeah that might be why the video quailty sucks.
As for your CPU working at 100% during a capture, that may or may not be because the CPU is doing the encoding, but remember it is the one writing the file at the same time. Admitly I haven't watched my CPU usage while capturing, however I do know this; I have SETI@home running 24/7 and an extra program I have for it that makes sure it's running and a few other things the systemtray icon will change one way if S@h isn't working and change to another when it is. So when I come back from gaming, the icon for a short times shows that S@h isn't working. When I captured video, there is no change.

About your audio being low. If you mean the sound level; go into the PVR's config screen and on the page where you set the capture encode type, there should be a setting for the audio which source to use and the level. Just turn that up and when the PVR is in use it'll do the same to the recording level for Windows' volume setting. This drove me about half up the way until I paid more attention to the options to see what all there was.
If you mean the quality is low, then I don't think I can help you there. It should be tied in with whatever the encode setting is. With the DVD setting it's AC3, that's all I really know I haven't looked much further into it than that.

The main thing I have noticed on my machine is that after using any video editor to edit the captured footage, when I play it back in WMP it seems a helluva lot darker than the original. But now here is where it gets funky. I wanted to show this to a friend so he would understand the problem, so I took screen shots with Fraps. The original's screens looked super bright, almost to the point of being white washed with light. The editted video's screens looked perfect, in some cases maybe a touch bright but other wise perfect.

After seeing this it makes me wonder about all of the VC stunt vids I've seen and commented on how dark the night stunts are.
And it's not my video card, because the stunts vids where viewed on a completely different card than what I'm using now.

Oh yeah the PVR recording shows. I have signed up with that site just for s**ts and grins, but I haven't tried to use it the PVR feature. I mostly just use the card for capturing video itself.
Look into Beyond TV's PVR software and see if it's better, there is a 21day trail version you can get and the price is $69.99 for the download or CD-ROM. And no subscription fee.
The screens shots kind of remind me of what little I've seen of screens of a TiVo.
"When you find a show to record, click once to record single episodes, all episodes, only the new ones." - from the main product page

The 250 you're talking about, would that be the Hauppauge PVR250? If so, something I was reading on another forums site, some people where suggesting the 150 and when he asked about the 250 they still suggested the 150. So I don't really know, but see if you can find some reviews of it and see if they mention/compare it to the 150 to see if it's better or not.

/DYABLO\
  • /DYABLO\

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:37 AM

thanks for the help guys but there is another problem
http://www.twisted.a...ackup/Movie.wmv this is just a test and the quality is crappy, is it because of the TV capture Device (external USB) , the cables? can some1 help me mk the quality of this piece of ... video better or should i get an internal TV capture card?
plz dont flame me me just help me confused.gif

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:05 AM

Well you've already encoded it to WMV. What format was the capture done in?
What are you capture format choices?

If you can capture as an uncompressed AVI that would be best, but it'll be a HUGE file even for just a few minutes.
MPEG1 is also a good choice, however the resolution is kind of small at 320x252 (or something around there) which gets you an average of 10MB per 1min of playback [this is great to know when making a VCD, but that's another story] but you might be able to change the resolution to 640x480 like that video is.
MPEG2 would be your next best option. It should be around 640x480. The only problems I've had here is when editting and saving the result, the audio and video are a bit out of sync from the time of the edit and throught the rest of the movie. This is why I'm glad my card as a DVD file option.
DVD is my personal best choice. Resolution is 740x480, sounds odd yes but I just go with the flow. When editting and then saving as DVD the audio and video are still perfectly in sync.

Keep in mine I'm still pretty green to capturing and editting myself, so all I can give you what I've experenced. Plus keep in mind I'm using a different capture device than you are.
BTW, what are you using to capture with? And is it USB1.1 or USB2....although Firewire (IEEE 1394)would be better

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users