New format

8 replies to this topic
Grandthefter
  • Grandthefter

I am not a member!

• Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 10:36 AM

Source

According to this, SONY might be dropping the blu-ray format for their next-gen console, PS3, in favour for a hybrid betwenn blu-ray and HD-DVD. Will this mean that the capacity has been dropped or what? I don't really understand the specs of each except that blu-ray can hold more GB of info that others. Also, will this mean that the PS3 and XBox 2 be sharing the same format? If SONY use HD-DVD mixed with Blu-Ray surely Microsoft won't settle for the normal HD-DVD format.
What do you lot think?

parry
  • parry

• Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:40 PM Edited by parry, 22 April 2005 - 12:57 PM.

Im not to sure but the title there is "Blu-ray and HD-DVD Join Forces" so to me it seems like they would create an even higer capacity disc wow.gif

Simon.
  • Simon.

Gangsta

• The Connection

Posted 22 April 2005 - 11:22 PM

I believe HD-DVD does more with the disc, Blu-Ray changes the laser type to a Blue laser, so a better disc and a better laser means more capacity. (I think smile.gif )

Meh, we will see what time brings smile.gif

ed209
  • ed209

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 23 April 2005 - 02:50 AM

Both Blue-Ray and HD-DVD use blue lasers. HD-DVD opts for a lower capacity (15 to 30GB, I think) in favor of an easier transition from DVD manufacuring to HD-DVD production. Blue-Ray has a higher capacity (25 to 50 GB), but it will not be as easy for current DVD manufacturing plants to produce.

Ice Cold Killer
  • Ice Cold Killer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 April 2005 - 03:49 AM

Hell, as long as it doesn't lose capacity I dont give a sh*t but damn if they're trying to pussyout and lower prices then f*ck Sony. die.gif

loseruser
  • loseruser

Walking disease.

• Members

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE (Ice Cold Killer @ Apr 22 2005, 22:49)
Hell, as long as it doesn't lose capacity I dont give a sh*t but damn if they're trying to pussyout and lower prices then f*ck Sony. die.gif

If they start making games on discs like these and have to sell them at around $100 because of high production cost, I won't be happy.

But 30GB, sh*t, you could fit the whole Rockstar collection in there. (Or at least the hits. smile.gif )

Boomshine Bubba
  • Boomshine Bubba

Join Us.

• Members

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:23 PM

Sony aren't retarded, they won't sell games for $100. I think they'd realise that everyone would buy an Xbox 360 if games for PS3 are that much. No game is worth that much.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 24 April 2005 - 03:10 AM

QUOTE (Ice Cold Killer @ Apr 23 2005, 13:19)

So you won't complain when games and the actual console costs more then an arm and a leg? Sony have to be practical in everything and besides what games would require 30GB of data? Not many and if they did games would take twice as long to make and get released.

meth.
  • meth.

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 April 2005 - 04:24 AM

Seems a bit late in the game to start switching sh*t now. I'm already sketchy about Sony's new console and this doesn't make me feel any better. They definitly won't get my money straight out of the gate like they did with this pile of sh*t in a verticle stand.

meth. looks at ps2 and spits at its sh*t laser and sh*tter blue disc games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users