Photo

Linux

20 replies to this topic
Pilate
  • Pilate

Big Homie

• The Precinct

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:20 AM

Ok so heres the deal. I need to learn linux. So I'm going to make this topic about linux where anyone can come in and ask a question or answer one. The only rule is it has to be about something linux related.

I'll start.
I need to learn how to work in a linux based environment. Since having a project to work on to help you learn something new seems to help things, I've decided to set up a MythTv box. I've already got all the hardware and everything so all I need to do is get the learning linux part started. I talked to Edwards a few days ago and asked him where to get started. He mention a live-cd call "Ubuntu". For those that don't know what a live cd is, it's basically an operating system that you burn to a cd, and run from the cd with out ever installing anything to a harddrive (google knoppix or ubuntu for more). It's perfect for learning becuase even if I do something that destroys the Os, all I have to do it reboot and start over.
Well I went in and started playing with it and discovered that I couldn't assess my harddrive. So far I've tried typing something like "sudo mount /dev/htpl ~(or something) " and all I get is "You have to specify file system." I'm pretty sure the filesystem is ntfs since I'm normally running windows xp. but where do I type it in?

bdww69
  • bdww69

/\ LIL' JON A.K.A. King Of Krunk

• Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:24 AM

What linux distro do you have of linux. i dont know much about it (not brave enough) ive used knoppix on livecd though this problem you have is probably left up to a little bit smarter people than me .

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:35 AM

So, why do you need to learn Linux?

Just wait 'till Svip shows up, he's your Linux "know-it-all".

And I think there's a topic like this one either here in PC Chat or at WD&P... or I need to stop smoking that sh*t... tounge.gif

Pilate
  • Pilate

Big Homie

• The Precinct

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:47 AM

QUOTE (PresidentKiller @ Apr 22 2005, 00:35)
So, why do you need to learn Linux?

I'm a cs major. I work as a computer tech. Linux seems like something I should know. To maintain web servers and mail servers or just anything, I figure, if I can learn how to operate in linux, I can figure anything out.

PresidentKiller
  • PresidentKiller

Anger Manager

• The Connection
  • Mexico

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (Pilate @ Apr 22 2005, 00:47)
I'm a cs major. I work as a computer tech. Linux seems like something I should know. To maintain web servers and mail servers or just anything, I figure, if I can learn how to operate in linux, I can figure anything out.

That makes sense.

Linux is not really my cup of tea so I can't help you. But good luck with your seek for Linux knowledge. smile.gif

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (Pilate @ Apr 21 2005, 23:20)
Well I went in and started playing with it and discovered that I couldn't assess my harddrive. So far I've tried typing something like "sudo mount /dev/htpl ~(or something) " and all I get is "You have to specify file system." I'm pretty sure the filesystem is ntfs since I'm normally running windows xp. but where do I type it in?

Keep in mind this is just an example line
sudo mount -t ntfs /win/d /dev/hda8
Keep in mind that NTFS, according to where I'm getting this line, under Linux is read-only.

ilikensrs
  • ilikensrs

For I am the Mayor of Albuquerque

• The Precinct

Posted 22 April 2005 - 07:48 AM

If you're using the ubuntu livecd it should have all of your disk partitions available for you to browse through nautilus. I think it's places > filesystem or something like that.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:03 AM

As wolf68k said, you can run that command.

However, should you install it ( Linux ), it should be no problem with that throughout the system.

But since you are running an live CD, changing /etc/fstab wont help much.

In case you're wondering /etc/fstab is the file that tells Linux where all your units are mounted so you can access them.

In most distros they are mounted in /mnt, in others /media, it just depends on the distro.

Bond996
  • Bond996

[INSERT MEMBER TITLE HERE]

• Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Svip @ Apr 22 2005, 04:03)
As wolf68k said, you can run that command.

However, should you install it ( Linux ), it should be no problem with that throughout the system.

But since you are running an live CD, changing /etc/fstab wont help much.

In case you're wondering /etc/fstab is the file that tells Linux where all your units are mounted so you can access them.

In most distros they are mounted in /mnt, in others /media, it just depends on the distro.

Some others that I've seen like dyne:bolic used /vol for mounted media by default.

I wouldn't reccomend getting started on ubuntu. It is very easy to use, but you either need to be very free-forming and adaptive to something completely different, or have the knowledge from linux or general computers to install it at first, and initially use it. I started out with using Mandrake 9 (ok), then moved to Fedora 2 (pretty good), to SuSe 9 (lasted 15 mins on hd), to Mandrake 10 (very good, reccomended), to ubuntu (i had a lot of experience and was able to adapt to harder stuff in linux now), and am now downloading the torrent for Fedora Core 3, merely because 4 doesn't seem mature enough yet.

I very much enjoyed Fedora and Mandrake when I didn't feel like touching the command line much and just wanted a faster windows alternative. With ubuntu I got into doing a lot of different stuff, mostly because on boot I needed to install a lot, and it was far less pleas buy and love and like our product like Mandrake or Fedora. I'm going back to Fedora, well, I don't know why, but I have about 120gb to play with, so ubuntu will probably find its way on.

Personally, if you're a CS Major, I'm suprised you haven't tried it before, but you should have no problem with something like ubuntu or Fedora, which are my top reccomendations for starting out. Once you're actually into running a server or maintaining a network, distros like gentoo or straight up debian (ubuntu is based on it), are more logical. For now though, I'd try ubuntu.

Also, live-CD's rarely work for me and are always not very good, so I reccomend freeing about 5gb to play with linux on your system with, and to keep as much of your windows in FAT32.

So now my question would be to ask all of you:
What Filesystem to use?

Basically, I will have a main windows partition (40gb), a video partition (80gb), a music partition (10gb), and a GeeXboX partition(50mb), in FAT32. Then I will have a Fedora Partition (10gb), and an ubuntu Partition (10gb), in an undetermined filesystem. On one of those I'll probably toss a dyne:bolic image as well, and perhaps a Knoppix, and swap is in the mix somewhere too. So what FS (mostly ext3, or ReiserFS) should I use?

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

As ext3 is what most Linux distros run on, I would recorment that.

In case you're wondering how an /etc/fstab files looks like, I'll show you mine:
CODE
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>               <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro,exec 0
/dev/hda5       none            swap    sw                      0       0
/dev/hdd        /mnt/cdrom0     udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto      0       0
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom1     udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto      0       0
/dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy     auto    rw,user,noauto          0       0
/dev/hdc        /mnt/dvd        udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto      0       0

Not much information you get to try and hack me with.

Pilate
  • Pilate

Big Homie

• The Precinct

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Bond996 @ Apr 22 2005, 10:09)
Personally, if you're a CS Major, I'm suprised you haven't tried it before, but you should have no problem with something like ubuntu or Fedora, which are my top reccomendations for starting out.

I'm a cs major, but I'm also only in my second semester so I haven't learned mush except a little bit of Java and C++.
But basically what I'm gathering from you guys is I should put ubuntu away for now and try something else?
Also, I want to make sure I read this right, Linux will not recognise NTFS?
Another thing, where did you folks learn these little things like /dev or /whatever.

Bond996
  • Bond996

• Members

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (Pilate @ Apr 22 2005, 14:21)
QUOTE (Bond996 @ Apr 22 2005, 10:09)
Personally, if you're a CS Major, I'm suprised you haven't tried it before, but you should have no problem with something like ubuntu or Fedora, which are my top reccomendations for starting out.

I'm a cs major, but I'm also only in my second semester so I haven't learned mush except a little bit of Java and C++.
But basically what I'm gathering from you guys is I should put ubuntu away for now and try something else?
Also, I want to make sure I read this right, Linux will not recognise NTFS?
Another thing, where did you folks learn these little things like /dev or /whatever.

Regardless of how much into being a CS major you are, Linux isn't hard to pick up. I started tinkering around in 7th grade, and I figured out all the neccessary commands and such.

Just make sure you can survive an install of a popular distro, know how to use google, and find a large forum catering to that distro. Those are the 3 keys to a sucessful Linux endeavor.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 April 2005 - 01:37 AM

I have to install Linux again tonight after not using it for a couple months.
Damn Safari doesn't display my website correctly, and the only way I can fix it is to install Linux and use the Konquerer browser.

As far as learning Linux goes, I found this site right to answer most of my questions: http://www.linuxquestions.org/
If they didn't have what I needed, I just googled.
It takes time to learn and memorize all the new stuff, but once you get it, it's priceless to know.

Majestic
  • Majestic

dirty commie

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:10 AM

I'm sure you know this, but whenever you have questions about linux commands, just use man.

Pilate
  • Pilate

Big Homie

• The Precinct

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:25 AM Edited by Pilate, 23 April 2005 - 06:15 AM.

ok.
I guess I don't know that.
what is man?

I'm learning! Ha! I figured there would be a manual in here somewhere!
Also for those that also are learning like me, heres a link that I've found handy to get you started from the very begining.
link

segosa
  • segosa

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 April 2005 - 06:18 AM

try 'man man' wink.gif

Tornado Rex
  • Tornado Rex

*nix gets the chicks

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 23 April 2005 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (Pilate @ Apr 22 2005, 13:21)
I want to make sure I read this right, Linux will not recognise NTFS?

No. Linux will see NTFS, but you can't write to it (yet).

If that was in your link, sorry. I didn't read it.

Waste
  • Waste

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 23 April 2005 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Tornado Rex @ Apr 23 2005, 05:16)

http://bisqwit.iki.f...ory/howto/ntfs/ tounge.gif

Bond996
  • Bond996

• Members

Posted 23 April 2005 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (Waste @ Apr 23 2005, 08:41)
QUOTE (Tornado Rex @ Apr 23 2005, 05:16)

http://bisqwit.iki.f...ory/howto/ntfs/ tounge.gif

Yes, using the Linux NTFS support, you can overwrite a file of the exact same size. But you cannot create new files from Linux or edit other ones very much at all.

If you need to dual boot I reccomend putting 1GB or so into a FAT32 partition for transfer.

On that note, I'd also not use Partition Magic. Yesterday in trying to get Fedora installed, I was partitioning, so I set it up in Windows, and it told me I needed to reboot to execute it(resizing the active drive), which I knew it would. So I let it, and it gave me a 'cannot lock drive' error. So I restarted after its 5 seconds of waiting, and figured windows update or something did something. I got some error like, 'No OS Found.' Several attempts at repair installations, DOS boot disks to recover the MBR, Seagate utilities to restore the MBR or my old drive from when I upgraded, I concluded I had fried the Partition Table and all hope was relatively lost. Luckily, any data I really need is on my old 16gb drive from before upgrading, so I can get it, and I merely installed Fedora Core 2 (3 was having issues).

Pilate
  • Pilate

Big Homie

• The Precinct

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:39 PM

I've never had partition magic work without a hicup.

Linux is so much fun. I don't know why but I'm having a blast just screwing around with the terminal.

Bond996
  • Bond996

• Members

Posted 23 April 2005 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (Pilate @ Apr 23 2005, 13:39)
I've never had partition magic work without a hicup.

Linux is so much fun. I don't know why but I'm having a blast just screwing around with the terminal.

Partition Magic used to work fine for me all the time. It even worked fine resizing NTFS partitions. But now, it just doesn't.

And the terminal is definetly lots of fun. Which are you using? xterm, konsole, gnome-terminal?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users